Game Bog

Share Your Media Finds! Includes scans and incidental on-topic images, as well as links to on-topic items at photo and video sharing sites. Material created by the community should be posted in the Member Submissions forums. Information Nuggets go to General Discussion.
XCLBR

Re: Game Bog

Postby XCLBR » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:53 pm

The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap has Castor Wilds, replete with swampland to wade and sink into, which can be bypassed using the Pegasus Boots. Here's a video where Link gets submerged there, prior to obtaining said boots: https://youtu.be/rEYwrZOZEMU?t=385

The first level of Hard Corps: Uprising for the Xbox 360 and PS3 takes place in a desert area, where there are some quicksand pits located after defeating the first miniboss. Here is a video of someone playing as the DLC character Sayuri for this level: https://youtu.be/mknQ0Taa2iY?t=99
* That video game quicksand collector your parents warned you about.

flarestriker

Postby flarestriker » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:27 pm

seprater wrote:There is a bog obstacle in the PC game Neverend. If you try to cross it without learning the hidden path you will wade into deep mud and the character will say that she thinks she should turn back. If you still continue she is swallowed up by the quicksand and game over. I once upon a time had a screen capture of it. If I get a chance I'll see if I can find it.

I still have a WMV of that scene.

Green Heart

Postby Green Heart » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:20 pm

flarestriker wrote:
seprater wrote:There is a bog obstacle in the PC game Neverend. If you try to cross it without learning the hidden path you will wade into deep mud and the character will say that she thinks she should turn back. If you still continue she is swallowed up by the quicksand and game over. I once upon a time had a screen capture of it. If I get a chance I'll see if I can find it.

I still have a WMV of that scene.

Would you please share?

XCLBR

Postby XCLBR » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:30 pm

Here's some quicksand/swamp areas in various Mega Man titles, for viewers to explore.
Mega Man 4, Pharaoh Man's stage (This video involves a Doropie/Francesca sprite hack)
Mega Man 10, Commando Man's stage
Mega Man & Bass, Ground Man's stage
Mega Man X, Sting Chameleon's stage: Original, Remake
Megaman Zero 3, Devilbat Schilt's stage, Anubis Necromancess V's stage
Rokko Chan (fangame), Forest Man's stage
If ever I've missed something here, please feel free to add or notify.
Last edited by XCLBR on Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

XCLBR

Postby XCLBR » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:56 pm

Some Castlevania bog/swamp areas for me to share:
Castlevania III, stage 4
Super Castlevania IV, stage 2
Castlevania Chronicles, stage 8
Castlevania Dracula X, stage 4' (My comment: this one has a whole lot of bottomless muck, which should have been implemented in the PCE version, IMO.)

luckykid77

Postby luckykid77 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:23 pm

Impressive finds! I heard of a few of them.

XCLBR

Postby XCLBR » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:31 pm

Legend of Valkyrie for the PC Engine, PS1, and arcades, has a large expanse of marshes, especially in the first level. This also holds true for the PS1 remake of the NES title Valkyrie no Bouken: Toki no Kagi Densetsu, included in Namco Anthology 2. Also note that the previously mentioned NES game contains some quicksand, which is triggered at arbitrary points in a section of the desert area containing blue X flags near it.
Last edited by XCLBR on Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

XCLBR

Postby XCLBR » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:41 pm

Super Metroid has a good amount of quicksand pits in the Maridia area. Though they aren't fatal, they may either serve as obstacles or a method to conceal some paths to the player. The video playthrough uses the Justin Bailey hack.

XCLBR

Postby XCLBR » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:22 pm

The indie ryona-themed game, Hanakanmuri Circle, has a short cutscene where the protagonist, Fia, gets trapped in a bottomless swamp, only to get freed by a bird named Doritto. In my opinion, the scene could use some improvement in terms of presentation.
Last edited by XCLBR on Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PM2K
Always Remembered

Postby PM2K » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:11 pm

elefseus wrote:The indie ryona-themed game, Hanakanmuri Circle, has a short cutscene where the protagonist, Fia, gets trapped in a bottomless swamp, only to get freed by a bird named Doritto. In my opinion, the scene could use some improvement in terms of presentation.

I rather liked that. :)

Return to “Nuggets”