Yet More Comic Book Sinking Scenes

Share Your Media Finds! Includes scans and incidental on-topic images, as well as links to on-topic items at photo and video sharing sites. Material created by the community should be posted in the Member Submissions forums. Information Nuggets go to General Discussion.
PM2K
Always Remembered

Re: Yet More Comic Book Sinking Scenes

Postby PM2K » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:54 am

Thanks, guys! :D I'll have more up soon!

rhinodynamo

Postby rhinodynamo » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:43 am

PM2K, I don't know what else to say....thanks a million!

mudmaiden

Postby mudmaiden » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:10 am

I wonder if anyone remembers this one, way back in the sixites, Daily News Comics (actually, Sunday News, Comic section - New York) A Tarzan Adventure: Woman survives a plane crash, chased by a gorilla type beast, manages to shoot the beast, but the beast still chases girl. She runs and stumbles into quicksand up to her hips, only she calls it a bog (she says:"Oh No, A bog, and I'm sinking! Help!!). Tarzan instanly runs to the rescue: "Hold On, Lady" Tarzan fights the beast and its an easy win. Woman up to her waist is pulled out by Tarzan. Woman says: "He must have died from my gunshots"

I kept that clipping for quite a while back then, remembered the dialouge. Wonder if anyone may have come across it, That would be a fantastic find, for me anyway!! :D
Tarzan to Jill Hardy: Girl be still. Not sink!!"
From "Valley Of Mystery" : Don't struggle and do not thrash around; that just makes things worse!

Also: check me out at:
http://mudmaiden.deviantart.com/gallery/

PM2K
Always Remembered

Postby PM2K » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:45 am

Like the sound of that Tarzan comic! :D

One scene I remember clearly from the newspaper comics was in the updated Orphan Annie strip done by Leonard Starr in the mid 1980s... in a story line from 01/14/85 to 06/02/85, Annie is pursued by a terrorist named Shaddo... she flees into the swamps and first her dog Sandy then Annie herself end up in quicksand.

In a bit lasting over two weeks of strips, Annie gets Sandy out, but sinks herself, going all the way under before being rescued by her faithful dog. I'd love to get my hands on a reprint of that sequence... very cool.

Anyway, here's more scenes I've dug up recently. Some are better scans of scenes already posted elsewhere, but I figure no one would mind... ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PM2K
Always Remembered

Postby PM2K » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:52 am

And a few more. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PM2K
Always Remembered

Postby PM2K » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:02 am

I bet you thought I'd run out of these, right? ;)

Well... not yet...

PM2K
Always Remembered

Postby PM2K » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:23 pm

Here's the first of three complete stories I thought I'd post which feature sinking as the point of them... not all pages have sinking, but i find these work best in context...

I posted the reprint of this story before, but here's the original in sparkling black and white... :)

PM2K
Always Remembered

Postby PM2K » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:24 pm

And the wrap up of this terror tale...

Tim

Postby Tim » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:49 pm

Thanks a million, PM2K.

I love these comics you are turning up, I'm amazed there seems to be no end to them.

Incidentally, I picked one up myself recently, but maybe you already have it (DC's The Unexpected no.152). (My scanner's playing up so I couldn't get it copied).

Another thought, notice most of your postings are from horror, has a serious trawl ever been made of the numerous Tarzan comics? There must have been hundreds of them published over the years? Or did QS only turn up in the movies? (I have a handful of Tarzan strips, and they always seem to stay on dry land.)

PM2K
Always Remembered

Postby PM2K » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:42 am

You're welcome! :D Glad people are getting a kick out of these.

And Tim, to answer your question, I have dug through a lot of jungle comics as well, including Tarzan, with some success. But like the movies, there is little sinking... but when it does happen. it is a bonus! :)

Return to “Nuggets”