Tarzan: The Deadly Silence Quicksand Scene!

Share Your Media Finds! Includes scans and incidental on-topic images, as well as links to on-topic items at photo and video sharing sites. Material created by the community should be posted in the Member Submissions forums. Information Nuggets go to General Discussion.
Boggy Man

Tarzan: The Deadly Silence Quicksand Scene!

Postby Boggy Man » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:19 am

Tarzan, 1966, Season 1, Episodes 8 and 9, entitled "The Deadly Silence", starring Ron Ely as Tarzan. The scene of interest is in Part 2, which is Episode 9. Tarzan, deafened and stunned by grenades exploding underwater in Part 1, collapses to the ground and rolls into the edge of a quicksand pit. He then pulls himself out, and lays on the ground, still reeling from the deafening blasts. One bad guy finds him, calls the others, Tarzan throws him into the quicksand, and runs away as he calls for help. They are unable to reach him and he sinks under, the last thing to disappear being his rifle. The quicksand looks pretty good, but is covered with vegetation (water hyacinths?). The video quality is pretty poor, but that was the only version of this episode I could find that didn't require me to register at a site in order to access download links. Enjoy! 8-)

File Size: 18.89 MB

Download Link:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MQM305BG

Instant Video Link:
http://www.megavideo.com/?d=MQM305BG

Remember that on MegaVideo, you have to click the play button twice. The first click initiates the buffering process (and sometimes the odd advertisement page), and the second click initiates the playback.
I sink, therefore I WAM!!!!

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

Tim

Re: Tarzan: The Deadly Silence Quicksand Scene!

Postby Tim » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:20 pm

Thanks for the clip Boggy Man.

I posted a copy of this some years back (which is still on Youtube), but that was very faded. Yours is much better, we can see all the colours now.

I see lots of bootleg copies of Tarzan floating around, isn't it about time this series was brought out on pristine DVD?

PM2K
Always Remembered

Postby PM2K » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:35 pm

There's an oldie but a goodie... thanks Boggy Man! :D

Lomax
Location: Skating the edge of sanity, never knowing which way I'm facing.

Postby Lomax » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:42 pm

I've never worked out how to play clips from that site; but I vividly remember Deadly Silence from my childhood. It was possibly the seminal experience which led to me ending up here.

It was the last bit that got me: the bit where the quicksand gulps down the rifle as an afterthought - as if to taunt the others. It convinced me that quicksand was actually alive, sentient and malevolent.
In order to make an apple pie from scratch you first have to create the universe.

Boggy Man

Postby Boggy Man » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:41 am

Lomax wrote:I've never worked out how to play clips from that site

Do you mean downloading from Megaupload and then playing it?
You first have to prove that you are a human being by typing the four digit alphanumeric code that is displayed, and then clicking the download button. Unless you have a premium account, you have to wait 45 seconds for the regular download button to appear. Then you click on it, and you can download the file.

If the problem is playing the file after it is downloaded, I find VLC Media Player and DivX Player work great with this Divx file. I did try saving the file as an mp4 (m4v) file, but the file size shot up to 57 MB (QuickTime X's "Save for Web..." menu option uses a preset compression for each of its format choices), with a slight deterioration in the quality. I was better off keeping it in the original format using "Save As...", where its file size of 18.89 MB more reflected its quality.

If the problem is with MegaVideo, I already mentioned having to click on the play button twice, but you have to wait briefly before it is ready for the second click, and the odd advertisement may take you away from the window/tab that was displaying the MegaVideo page with the embedded player you were just at, which is rather annoying. You just go back to the window/tab, click on the play button a second time, and things should work okay, unless your internet connection is too slow.

Hope this helps.

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

Lomax
Location: Skating the edge of sanity, never knowing which way I'm facing.

Postby Lomax » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:45 pm

Boggy Man wrote:
Lomax wrote:I've never worked out how to play clips from that site

Do you mean downloading from Megaupload and then playing it?
You first have to prove that you are a human being by typing the four digit alphanumeric code that is displayed, and then clicking the download button. Unless you have a premium account, you have to wait 45 seconds for the regular download button to appear. Then you click on it, and you can download the file.

This bit I can cope with. I have sat and watched the file apparently load; but then...

If the problem is playing the file after it is downloaded, I find VLC Media Player and DivX Player work great with this Divx file. I did try saving the file as an mp4 (m4v) file, but the file size shot up to 57 MB (QuickTime X's "Save for Web..." menu option uses a preset compression for each of its format choices), with a slight deterioration in the quality. I was better off keeping it in the original format using "Save As...", where its file size of 18.89 MB more reflected its quality.

Do you know, I think I understood about a fifth of that. I get a message saying, in essence, "You can't play this file, sucker - what are you going to do about it?" To which I have no answer. Somewhere along the line I got rather left behind by technology - though I am improving. Last year I finally worked out how to send texts on my mobile phone; and I can sometimes get the DVD player to work.

Hope this helps.

No; but thanks for trying.
In order to make an apple pie from scratch you first have to create the universe.

Boggy Man

Postby Boggy Man » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:11 am

Lomax wrote:Do you know, I think I understood about a fifth of that. I get a message saying, in essence, "You can't play this file, sucker - what are you going to do about it?" To which I have no answer.

Do you have the latest updates of those video players? Perhaps the video player your computer chooses to automatically open when you double-click on the video file doesn't recognize the format. Have you tried running a video player first, and then opening the video file from within the player?

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

groppingmire

Postby groppingmire » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:07 pm

Return to “Nuggets”