Starstruck on Disney

Share Your Media Finds! Includes scans and incidental on-topic images, as well as links to on-topic items at photo and video sharing sites. Material created by the community should be posted in the Member Submissions forums. Information Nuggets go to General Discussion.
James diGriz

Re: Starstruck on Disney

Postby James diGriz » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:21 am

dlodoski wrote:Disney has, over the years, visited the quicksand theme often, and has produced some pretty intense scenes. Hammer is another quicksand rich studio, for example.

These two movies are kids movies and not appropriate for what we would consider a good scene.

Folks will have to do their own homework for the other titles, since I sure wouldn't want to be personally responsible for wasting anyone's time.

Not that any of us older farts have wasted any time over the years, right James? :mrgreen:

Oh no, never wasted any time whatsoever trying to locate a lost scene. Of course, with about 150 book scenes and thousands of books scoured through to get them....
How unfortunate you didn't have a proper guide to navigate these swamps.

Nessie
Producer

Postby Nessie » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:15 am

dlodoski wrote:About 99% of that time was 'wasted'.

Every year, I compile, during the off-season, lists of new sites to try. I estimate that only one in five sites ends up being good for a thing. The other four? Me and my sinkwear come back unmuddied and sometimes not even wet.

That's an 80% failure rate. But now it doesn't look so bad.

Nessie

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:05 am

Wasted time on lost scenes? Holy crap! People will never know the lost time and money that Dave and I and others (mostly Dave)have spent on looking for scenes. It would be great if it was as simple as having the Disney Channel deliver lamness direct to my cable every now and then. How would you feel about an epic twelve year search for a rumored scene that cost a fortune in time and treasure to get and turned out to be nothing? Much if not most of what is out there now came from Dave's original clip tape collection. Only way to see that fifteen years ago was to write for it, include a nominal fee, and wait for a couple weeks just for one of several VHS tapes. Now we have everything on those tapes floating around the community and delievered in minutes for free.

Point is that I don't think common courtesy is asking too much. Let's all remember our manners here. 8-)
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

PM2K
Always Remembered

Postby PM2K » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:09 pm

I thought the scene was cute. :) Nice the mainstream thinks of quicksand peril every now and then...

I'm one of those old guys who also lost at least 10 years of sleep (or so it feels sometimes) staring at old movies hoping someone would end up in a sinky situation... and like everyone, I've been disappointed more often than not. But the quest did pay off enough to make it worth the lack of shut eye. I even had my folks tape When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth and mail it to me because I couldn't get the channel it was on... just for the quicksand scene at the end. That was a three week wait, but it became a well worn piece of tape... ;)

Folks have it easy these days. Thanks to the tireless efforts of Dave, Duncan, Fred, Jamie, evilhenchmen, Kaol and many others, the modern quicksander has piles of cool stuff to wade through... from vintage clips to new material, images, art, stories.. you name it. So much so, some can actually be picky about it.

In a way, that's progress! :D

Thanks to all who contribute!

Fred588
Producer

Postby Fred588 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:48 pm

PM2K wrote:I thought the scene was cute. :) Nice the mainstream thinks of quicksand peril every now and then...

I'm one of those old guys who also lost at least 10 years of sleep (or so it feels sometimes) staring at old movies hoping someone would end up in a sinky situation... and like everyone, I've been disappointed more often than not. But the quest did pay off enough to make it worth the lack of shut eye. I even had my folks tape When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth and mail it to me because I couldn't get the channel it was on... just for the quicksand scene at the end. That was a three week wait, but it became a well worn piece of tape... ;)

Folks have it easy these days. Thanks to the tireless efforts of Dave, Duncan, Fred, Jamie, evilhenchmen, Kaol and many others, the modern quicksander has piles of cool stuff to wade through... from vintage clips to new material, images, art, stories.. you name it. So much so, some can actually be picky about it.

I think I speak for all the producers in this. The appreciation is,.... well..... appreciated. Thanks.
Studio 588 currently offers more than 2200 different HD and QD quicksand videos and has supported production of well over 2400 video scenes and other projects by 13 different producers. Info may be found at:
http://studio588qs.com
http://quicksandland.com
http://psychicworldjungleland.com

Mwam

Postby Mwam » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:16 pm

evilhenchman03 wrote:The people only fall in for a moment or two but heres the clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRtv_MXLR7g

Starts about 2:30

LOL!!!! :D
It was cool - i mean the whole part - thanks.
Unfortunately i haven't got Disney chanel.

bbjohn

Postby bbjohn » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:49 am

All this talk about looking for scenes in the old days brings back memories. I recall scouring book stores, comic book stores and a lot of other places back in the 1970s and '80s looking for quicksand and other damsel-in distress scenes. I also recall waiting for TV Guide to come out each week so i could see if any of the movies I was looking for were on. In the days before I could afford a VCR, that was the only way to see the movies I wanted.

Do I consider the time I spent doing all this wasted? Not at all. What surprised me was how often I came across something I liked that I wasn't really looking for and never expected to find. It may not have been related to what I was looking for, but it was a pleasant surprise all the same.

Of course, when, after all that searching, I came across just the thing I was looking for, it was like finding lost treasure. The sense of pleasure and satisfaction were enormous.

Today, it's astonishing how much material is out there. The digital age has made it so much easier to produce materials for specialty markets, like quicksand fans or damsels-in-distress fans. Having things available online has made the distribution costs a fraction of what they once were. One could argue the digital age has democratized a big portion of the entertainment industry, making it possible for people to produce their own movies and the like.

Would I want to go back to the old days? Nope. Still, I think young people need to be told what life was like before Google searches and having tons of material just a mouse click away.

I like to tell kids I know that, in the old days, we had cell phones. However, we called them 'car phones,' because they were so big and bulky that was the only place you could have one. I also like to say a car phone was a sign someone was either filthy rich or a cop, as they were the only people who had them.

The looks on the kids' faces are priceless.

Big Bad John

Fred588
Producer

Postby Fred588 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:03 am

bbjohn makes some very good points. The internet and technology has enabled us to get or make things we want far more efficiently. When a member of this community produced a comprehensive list of mainstream movie and TV scenes we no longer had to try to remember them all. When digital video cameras became practical to use we could start making the scenes we wanted, the way we wanted them. And now bandwidth is making it possible to distribute materials more cheaply.

And this opens up a real danger, I think. While the costs have been reduced, they have not been reduced to zero. The major producers of video, for example, still spend upwards of five figures a year (and the first digit is not a one). The danger is that too many people will come to feel that they need not lift a finger to get what they want; that somehow everything should be delivered without charge, and probably without asking. That of course, will lead to the opposite effect, as there won't be any new material produced.
Studio 588 currently offers more than 2200 different HD and QD quicksand videos and has supported production of well over 2400 video scenes and other projects by 13 different producers. Info may be found at:
http://studio588qs.com
http://quicksandland.com
http://psychicworldjungleland.com

water_bug_62208

Postby water_bug_62208 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:29 am

PM2K wrote:I thought the scene was cute. :) Nice the mainstream thinks of quicksand peril every now and then...

I second that! I recall getting quite excited in the old days when a movie or TV show set out in a swampy or jungle environment would come along. I'd watch intensely with hopes of anything sinky or resembling something potentially sinky. Short little scenes in cartoons and movies like The Mighty Hercules, Frogs, The Mating Season, and Bare Essentials were treasured... and still are.

Then came my discovery of Quicksandland and the wonderful offerings of Kaol and Mud Puddle Visuals, the artwork of QSA/UG, Pete Boggs, and der MudGecko, as well as all the cool Quicksand Stories. None of these old favorites, nor the current productions, are taken for granted. I, too, am very thankful for what Dave, Kaol, Duncan, and all have done over the years.

Oh, yeah, cool clip! That's the kind of scene I've always treasured as they typically only came along once in a great while. :D Thanks for sharing!

bbjohn

Postby bbjohn » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:11 am

Fred588 wrote:....And this opens up a real danger, I think. While the costs have been reduced, they have not been reduced to zero. The major producers of video, for example, still spend upwards of five figures a year (and the first digit is not a one). The danger is that too many people will come to feel that they need not lift a finger to get what they want; that somehow everything should be delivered without charge, and probably without asking. That of course, will lead to the opposite effect, as there won't be any new material produced.

Fred,

I couldn't agree with you more. No one should consider himself or herself entitled to any of these materials without paying for them. I don't buy much because of my limited income. However, I'm not going to whine about things costing too much, either. I'm also not going to try to finagle some underhanded way of getting it. As I see it, that's the same as stealing it.

You are an artist, but you are also a businessman, and you are entitled to a fair return on your investment. Without that fair return, you wouldn't make the movies. They cost too much to be done as a hobby. That is, unless you're one of those filthy rich people I described as the ones who had car phones in the old days. :lol:

I don't know that much about production costs. However, from what I've seen, I can tell it takes a lot of money and time to produce one of these films. In many respects, it's remarkable the prices are as low as they are. I believe you and the other producers are to be commended for your efforts at keeping the prices at a reasonable level. I know none of you are going to become the next Bill Gates by doing this.

If I have the money, I'll be glad to give some of it to you if you have a product that I want. That's what free enterprise is all about. I wish I had more money to give you for your products, but that's life. I'm just glad there are people like you, Dave, Kaol and all the others who do what you do. :D

Big Bad John

Return to “Nuggets”