Quicksand in The Rise of Skywalker

Share Your Media Finds! Includes scans and incidental on-topic images, as well as links to on-topic items at photo and video sharing sites. Material created by the community should be posted in the Member Submissions forums. Information Nuggets go to General Discussion.
gilligansunder

Re: Quicksand in The Rise of Skywalker

Postby gilligansunder » Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:14 pm

higuy wrote:I have an unlisted low quality version -- the link to the where I got it is in the desc (if it's even still up).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeLuJ3dx6PA

It’s still up, Ohhhhh, Oscar Isaac. :D

claysink

Postby claysink » Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:40 pm

Now we need to watch for “The making of” video!

bogbud

Postby bogbud » Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:02 am

BogDog wrote:Quickgravel! ;)

That's the word I was thinking about when I did see it in the cinema.
Overall not really worth mentioning. Only a few seconds, completely dry and they end in some kind of tunnel.
I'm already chindeep in this mudbog and every desperate attempt to move my stuck legs only drives me deeper in. The thick mud slowly swamps my waders and my arms have nothing to hold onto.
I'm feeling home.

BogDog

Postby BogDog » Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:11 am

Tunnel, eh? My post last Sunday:

"Wait, don't tell me....they all end up an in underground cavern, right? ... "

:D

They copied many cartoon quicksand scenes by doing that. I STILL do know know how those are suppose to work. Why doesn't the sand or gravel flow into the tunnel?

(If it involves a spoiler, then I'd rather not know know.)
"Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Beast260

Postby Beast260 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:18 pm

and its gone :(

Qsvgitguy
Always Remembered

Postby Qsvgitguy » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:11 pm

I saw the movie last night, and for the most part, really really enjoyed it, which was a tincy bit of a surprise considering all the negative reviews I'd been hearing. As to the scene, considering how rare these scenes are in contemporary movies, it was a nice surprise and seeing Rey in a sinking scene was very nice. Yeah, the fact it was only gravel was kind of a downer. I would have much preferred having the scene on the jungle planet where Rey was training instead, but they didn't ask me. ;)

The fact that they sank into a tunnel and the "sand" didn't flood into the tunnel was the only really dumb part of the movie, which is too bad considering our interest here. It reminded me of the stupid Dora that Explora scene that just came out where they did pretty much the same thing. :roll:

We take what we can get I guess. :|

Viridian

Postby Viridian » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:52 pm

I felt the scene was a great setup - action chase scene with the characters being thrown into the quick-gravel. We're not expecting a fetish focus in a Star Wars film, so it was a pleasant surprise.
Viridian @ deviantART: http://viridianqs.deviantart.com/

SinkThatDamsel

Postby SinkThatDamsel » Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:57 pm

da12tall4u wrote:If I'm not mistaken it was called Quicksilt, and it's my fetish/phobia too.
Confuseds unite!

*high-five*

Jinn

Postby Jinn » Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:56 pm

This is the second time quicksand has made an appearance in the Star Wars films. The first was EpVII The Force Awakens when Poe & Finn’s TIE fighter also sank into the ‘sinking fields’. It’s a good sign for enthusiasts when two of the biggest films ever (not just the past decade) showcase a sinking scene. Like them or not, they’re there forever embedded in pop culture.

BogDog

Postby BogDog » Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:56 am

Jinn wrote:This is the second time quicksand has made an appearance in the Star Wars films. The first was EpVII The Force Awakens when Poe & Finn’s TIE fighter also sank into the ‘sinking fields’. It’s a good sign for enthusiasts when two of the biggest films ever (not just the past decade) showcase a sinking scene. Like them or not, they’re there forever embedded in pop culture.

And third appearance for me altogether in the SW universe, as well as for others who also read "Splinter of the Mind's Eye" long ago. It came out right after the first movie. The book had Luke and Leia crashing on yet another swamp planet, eventually to evolve into Yoda's "Dagoba" for the second film. Hooray for swamp planets! :D It was a potential screenplay for the second film before we got EMPIRE, so Chewy and Han were intentionally left out to get the cost of the potential second movie's creation lower. :roll:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splinter_ ... Mind's_Eye

And LEIA does the sinking!... Though somewhat briefly. Here is the main scene, the text captured in an image. THIS is the scene we always wanted and never saw:

splinterofthemindseye.starwarsquicksand.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Return to “Nuggets”