Another bad thing about global warming... at least for us;

Share Your Media Finds! Includes scans and incidental on-topic images, as well as links to on-topic items at photo and video sharing sites. Material created by the community should be posted in the Member Submissions forums. Information Nuggets go to General Discussion.
BogDog

Another bad thing about global warming... at least for us;

Postby BogDog » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:34 am

A sign of the future for some favorite locations?

bc4212020.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

MadMax359

Re: Another bad thing about global warming... at least for us;

Postby MadMax359 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:48 am

let's hope we can still hold the line!
The strong do what they want, the weak do what they must

Kinky Desires

Postby Kinky Desires » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:33 am

I'm no expert, but I would've thought that if the world is getting warmer and the polar ice caps are melting causing sea levels to rise, surely that means there's more water circulating around and it should therefore rain more often :?:

I've definitely noticed that we've had more occurrences of flash flooding due to unusually heavy rain in various parts of the UK over the past couple of years than we've been used to seeing in the past.

bogbud

Postby bogbud » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:53 am

Kinky Desires wrote:I'm no expert, but I would've thought that if the world is getting warmer and the polar ice caps are melting causing sea levels to rise, surely that means there's more water circulating around and it should therefore rain more often :?:

I've definitely noticed that we've had more occurrences of flash flooding due to unusually heavy rain in various parts of the UK over the past couple of years than we've been used to seeing in the past.

That's not a thing about the amount of the water level but about the warmer atmosphere that can hold more water and may release all of it at once (so you may have months of no rain followed by a flood).
I'm more into bogs but fear they may dry out. And the melting bogs in Siberia are definitely too far away for a visit
I'm already chindeep in this mudbog and every desperate attempt to move my stuck legs only drives me deeper in. The thick mud slowly swamps my waders and my arms have nothing to hold onto.
I'm feeling home.

BogDog

Postby BogDog » Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:28 am

Remember that the Sahara once had rivers and such*

The question is not whether there will be more overall rainfall or not. It's where will there now be less rain and where there will now be more rain. The west cost droughts could be a sign of an example of the former. Southern California is already mostly desert clime. Few know that Disneyland was built upon sandy soil. Maybe much of the rest will follow soon.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/trevornace ... a61f292e00

People lived on the edge of the desert thousands of years ago, since the end of the last glacial period. The Sahara was then a much wetter place than it is today. Over 30,000 petroglyphs of river animals such as crocodiles survive, with half found in the Tassili n'Ajjer in southeast Algeria. Fossils of dinosaurs, including Afrovenator, Jobaria and Ouranosaurus, have also been found here.

It was long believed that the region had been this way since about 1600 BCE, after shifts in the Earth's axis increased temperatures and decreased precipitation, which led to the abrupt desertification of North Africa about 5,400 years ago.
"Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Return to “Nuggets”