TV News - Reporting from Quicksand

Share Your Media Finds! Includes scans and incidental on-topic images, as well as links to on-topic items at photo and video sharing sites. Material created by the community should be posted in the Member Submissions forums. Information Nuggets go to General Discussion.
Sedge

TV News - Reporting from Quicksand

Postby Sedge » Mon May 17, 2021 5:22 am

A new approach to exciting on-the-scene reporting: A young woman TV reporter in Oklahoma tells the tale of a local quicksand rescue, while standing barefoot in the actual quicksand.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu0lsJ3-qUI

She's in only about ankle deep but excited to say that she's standing in the exact area a local boy was stuck knee deep and needed the FD to rescue.
Bates-10-1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Theo

Re: TV News - Reporting from Quicksand

Postby Theo » Mon May 17, 2021 6:47 am

Cool! I wish she would've done a little more of a reenactment of just what happened :D Thanks for finding and sharing the link!
Finally broke down and went to see a psychologist. She told me I just have an overactive imagination—and it really excited her. We're going sinking next weekend. Theo's AI Quicksandbox New stuff every weekend (unless life gets in the way)

bogbud

Postby bogbud » Mon May 17, 2021 6:56 am

Hmm, i guess that place will soon be swarmed by local quicksand-fans.
Also don't forget to mark that place on our map!
I'm already chindeep in this mudbog and every desperate attempt to move my stuck legs only drives me deeper in. The thick mud slowly swamps my waders and my arms have nothing to hold onto.
I'm feeling home.

mudmaiden

Postby mudmaiden » Mon May 17, 2021 7:11 am

Theo wrote:Cool! I wish she would've done a little more of a reenactment of just what happened :D Thanks for finding and sharing the link!

Yea, like sinking while she was reporting the incident! :D
Tarzan to Jill Hardy: Girl be still. Not sink!!"
From "Valley Of Mystery" : Don't struggle and do not thrash around; that just makes things worse!

Also: check me out at:
http://mudmaiden.deviantart.com/gallery/

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Mon May 17, 2021 2:35 pm

I agree. I wish she reenacted the scene to show how difficult and dangerous it is to get out. Reminds me of the archenemys video reporting live by Carrie LaChance.

Chimerix

Postby Chimerix » Mon May 17, 2021 5:35 pm

We need to start a Baylee Bates fan club!
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

Sedge

Postby Sedge » Mon May 17, 2021 5:50 pm

The script practically writes itself, doesn't it?

While setting up the shot with the quicksand in the background she looks for a well-lit camera angle. Oh wait a minute, I have an idea. I'll stand in the quicksand. I wonder what it feels like. She kicks off her shoes and walks into the quicksand bed. It's mushy and sucks at her soles, and it's a bit of a thrill. Her feet leave deep impressions of her toes in the soft sand as she steps closer to the riverbank.

She turns around to face the camera. The quicksand has softened enough to envelop her feet as she sinks to her ankles. This will be a great shot! Make sure you pan up from the quicksand showing my feet sinking into it. "Reporting from the exact location a local boy was rescued from quicksand..."

As she reads her on-camera report the quicksand further softens and she drops in to her thighs. She panics and starts pumping her legs to get out but she continues to sink deeper as the sand liquefies around her legs and under her feet. The quicksand swallows her to her waist as water starts oozing out of the sand around her.

It's amazing that the first two paragraphs of this story actually happened.

Theo

Postby Theo » Tue May 18, 2021 6:56 am

beachbum wrote:I agree. I wish she reenacted the scene to show how difficult and dangerous it is to get out. Reminds me of the archenemys video reporting live by Carrie LaChance.

My thought exactly! I was going to mention that same video but forgot.
Finally broke down and went to see a psychologist. She told me I just have an overactive imagination—and it really excited her. We're going sinking next weekend. Theo's AI Quicksandbox New stuff every weekend (unless life gets in the way)

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Tue May 18, 2021 2:42 pm

Sedge wrote:The script practically writes itself, doesn't it?

While setting up the shot with the quicksand in the background she looks for a well-lit camera angle. Oh wait a minute, I have an idea. I'll stand in the quicksand. I wonder what it feels like. She kicks off her shoes and walks into the quicksand bed. It's mushy and sucks at her soles, and it's a bit of a thrill. Her feet leave deep impressions of her toes in the soft sand as she steps closer to the riverbank.

She turns around to face the camera. The quicksand has softened enough to envelop her feet as she sinks to her ankles. This will be a great shot! Make sure you pan up from the quicksand showing my feet sinking into it. "Reporting from the exact location a local boy was rescued from quicksand..."

As she reads her on-camera report the quicksand further softens and she drops in to her thighs. She panics and starts pumping her legs to get out but she continues to sink deeper as the sand liquefies around her legs and under her feet. The quicksand swallows her to her waist as water starts oozing out of the sand around her.

It's amazing that the first two paragraphs of this story actually happened.

I can only wish and dream some news reporter would do that.

Sedge

Postby Sedge » Wed May 19, 2021 4:04 am

Is this a first? Has a TV reporter given an on camera report from quicksand before?

"I'm going to kick off my shoes and step barefoot into this sticky riverbank quicksand to tell viewers about the quicksand while I sink into it past my ankles."

The quicksand isn't deep, but when the camera starts it has folded in over her feet and her left leg has sunk almost to her calf. Fearless. This young lady deserves at least an Edward R. Murrow Award nomination.
Bates-10-2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Nuggets”