Lake Superior Quicksand!

Share Your Media Finds! Includes scans and incidental on-topic images, as well as links to on-topic items at photo and video sharing sites. Material created by the community should be posted in the Member Submissions forums. Information Nuggets go to General Discussion.
TheWestcott123

Lake Superior Quicksand!

Postby TheWestcott123 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:38 pm

Saw this on youtube and now i might need to plan a trip out there with some unsuspecting damsels ;)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1OX4SHT-4Qw

dlodoski
Wizard of Ooze

Re: Lake Superior Quicksand!

Postby dlodoski » Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:08 pm

I know one community member who discovered (years ago) how much of the western end of the UP was made up of clay.

So, it's not surprising that there is quicksand along the lake at points.

Lake Superior is a minor bucket list place for me. I've been to Sault Ste. Marie, but you can't see open water from there (although I did see a glimpse from the Agawa Canyon train ride).
The Wizard of Ooze stays behind the curtain!

https://allmylinks.com/dlodoski

Stay signed up to Club MPV and bank 10 free download tokens every month!

H8ms2014

Postby H8ms2014 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:13 am

Lake superior was my first contact with real quicksand. I didn't get deep, and it was just North, on the outskirts of Sault Ste Marie, ON, that my family found an empty beach area on Superior. I left my shorts at the cabin :roll: and walked along the beach in my runners and jeans. Sure enough the sand began to wobble, and I had fun with it, and then started to sink. My "interest" in quicksand and the early days on The Interweb I garnered some knowledge that we all share now. I was curious to see how deep I could sink... The Canadian Shield stopped my descent at knee depth. We went back a few days late. Armed with swim shorts I went into Superior and found quicksand in the lake. I started to get nervous when I hit knee deep again, bur the water was chest high. I relaxed and slowly pulled out of the quicksand and swam to shore. I really want to go back and see if it's still there.

Raptor90

Postby Raptor90 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:12 pm

Return to “Nuggets”