Ball pits seems like quicksand

Share Your Media Finds! Includes scans and incidental on-topic images, as well as links to on-topic items at photo and video sharing sites. Material created by the community should be posted in the Member Submissions forums. Information Nuggets go to General Discussion.
Fred588
Producer

Re: Ball pits seems like quicksand - reality

Postby Fred588 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:56 pm

After my previous post here I did a little research. On line I looked up the volume and price for a case of ball pits. The price was 128.00 for a case containing about 6 cubic feet of balls. Now comes the bad news. The pit I described as already existing is roughly six feet wide, five feet deep, and 13 feet long. That computes to 390 cubic feet. Rounding that to 400 and dividing by 6 gives the number of cases that would be needed, which calculates to 66. Thus the price comes to roughly $8500.00. For such a very large order I suspect one might be able to get a substantial discount, but even if that was 50 percent we are still at $4250.00. I rather doubt anyone here is likely to spring for that kind of money.
Studio 588 currently offers more than 2200 different HD and QD quicksand videos and has supported production of well over 2400 video scenes and other projects by 13 different producers. Info may be found at:
http://studio588qs.com
http://quicksandland.com
http://psychicworldjungleland.com

cabeca

Postby cabeca » Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:09 pm

Fred588 wrote:After my previous post here I did a little research. On line I looked up the volume and price for a case of ball pits. The price was 128.00 for a case containing about 6 cubic feet of balls. Now comes the bad news. The pit I described as already existing is roughly six feet wide, five feet deep, and 13 feet long. That computes to 390 cubic feet. Rounding that to 400 and dividing by 6 gives the number of cases that would be needed, which calculates to 66. Thus the price comes to roughly $8500.00. For such a very large order I suspect one might be able to get a substantial discount, but even if that was 50 percent we are still at $4250.00. I rather doubt anyone here is likely to spring for that kind of money.

Thanks for information, Fred!

How much to build a real mud pit with this features that you described? Just to know.

Fred588
Producer

Postby Fred588 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:45 pm

cabeca wrote:
Fred588 wrote:After my previous post here I did a little research. On line I looked up the volume and price for a case of ball pits. The price was 128.00 for a case containing about 6 cubic feet of balls. Now comes the bad news. The pit I described as already existing is roughly six feet wide, five feet deep, and 13 feet long. That computes to 390 cubic feet. Rounding that to 400 and dividing by 6 gives the number of cases that would be needed, which calculates to 66. Thus the price comes to roughly $8500.00. For such a very large order I suspect one might be able to get a substantial discount, but even if that was 50 percent we are still at $4250.00. I rather doubt anyone here is likely to spring for that kind of money.

Thanks for information, Fred!

How much to build a real mud pit with this features that you described? Just to know.

That is a difficult calculation because the final "thickness" of the mud remains a variable that depends on the intended usage. Bentonite clay swells when it gets wet so the number of bags needed to make a cubic foot of mud will vary quite a bit. But if we estimate 1 bag per cubic foot then you would need 400 bags, at a price of about 10.00 per bag. That comes to about $4000.00. That is roughly the same amount as the ball pit but one will almost certainly film far more scenes with the clay. Peat moss would be cheaper.

There is another factor however. The size pit I described is really a good deal larger than needed for a pit with clay or peat. It is not necessary to have the entire 75 or 85 square feet of surface area all be 5 feet deep. It is not even desirable for filming purposes, although it probably would be with a ball pit because people might be jumping in. You could probably cut the total volume in half using clay or peat.

The pit I described as "available" was originally filled with granulated cork. That was very expensive to purchase but because it floats it was not necessary to fill the pit all the way to the bottom. That pit had a floating layer about 16 inches thick at the surface the first year. Half of that got waterlogged and sank before the second year and the pit could not be used. Later the cork was shoveled out (becoming garden mulch) and the pit was re-filled with what I call gallium polykryptonite. A good deal of that is still in the pit but the liner began to leak badly, making the pit unusable. I intended to try to clean it up last spring (2020) but the pandemic and the fire that happened here called that cleanup off for 2020 and 2021. The gallium polykryptonite is now used in the indoor pit here. There was an earlier and smaller pit here that was filled with a paper-based product normally used to absorb oil from oil spills on water. The paper was supposed to be waterproof but it wasn't and began to develop a very unpleasant odor after just a few weeks. That became garden mulch also.

For what it might be worth, before the fire I did some experimenting toward a formula for a simulated tar pit. It was very thick and viscous, did not decay or attract vermin, and was black in color. It was not bleck. It was expensive but would be suitable for a small pit in which a performer might sink to mid-thigh. The formula was, and will remain, a trade secret unless someone wishes to purchase it. Figure five figures. I do not envision ever building a pit for that as I am now more than 71 years of age.
Studio 588 currently offers more than 2200 different HD and QD quicksand videos and has supported production of well over 2400 video scenes and other projects by 13 different producers. Info may be found at:

beachbum

Re: Ball pits seems like quicksand

Postby beachbum » Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:19 am

It is kind of sexy to see her struggle to get out.

Theo

Postby Theo » Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:23 am

Fred588 wrote:For what it might be worth, before the fire I did some experimenting toward a formula for a simulated tar pit. It was very thick and viscous, did not decay or attract vermin, and was black in color. It was not bleck. It was expensive but would be suitable for a small pit in which a performer might sink to mid-thigh. The formula was, and will remain, a trade secret unless someone wishes to purchase it. Figure five figures. I do not envision ever building a pit for that as I am now more than 71 years of age.

I wish you would do the tar pit, I've long wanted to see some realistic tar pit scenes :P Good competition for MPV's bleck too! ;)
Finally broke down and went to see a psychologist. She told me I just have an overactive imagination—and it really excited her. We're going sinking next weekend. Theo's AI Quicksandbox New stuff every weekend (unless life gets in the way)

Theo

Re: Ball pits seems like quicksand

Postby Theo » Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:24 am

beachbum wrote:It is kind of sexy to see her struggle to get out.

My thought exactly :P
Finally broke down and went to see a psychologist. She told me I just have an overactive imagination—and it really excited her. We're going sinking next weekend. Theo's AI Quicksandbox New stuff every weekend (unless life gets in the way)

Fred588
Producer

Postby Fred588 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:36 pm

Theo wrote:
Fred588 wrote:For what it might be worth, before the fire I did some experimenting toward a formula for a simulated tar pit. It was very thick and viscous, did not decay or attract vermin, and was black in color. It was not bleck. It was expensive but would be suitable for a small pit in which a performer might sink to mid-thigh. The formula was, and will remain, a trade secret unless someone wishes to purchase it. Figure five figures. I do not envision ever building a pit for that as I am now more than 71 years of age.

I wish you would do the tar pit, I've long wanted to see some realistic tar pit scenes :P Good competition for MPV's bleck too! ;)

Unfortunately, the nature of the formula itself is such that some special features would be necessary for the pit itself, making construction difficult and expensive. Even though there would be no point in making it more than about 30 inches deep, the surface would have to be above grade enough to be protected by a cover when not in use. A sunken trash barrel would almost suffice from a functional point of view but would be visually unacceptable because the roundness would be obvious. Maybe someone here has more skill with such things than I do and would like to help- I can conceive of how to solve the problems but executing that is more than I can do.

I would be cooperative with a prospective producer who might build such a pit here for their own future use.

Return to “Nuggets”