Elon Musk Challenged by Quicksand

Share Your Media Finds! Includes scans and incidental on-topic images, as well as links to on-topic items at photo and video sharing sites. Material created by the community should be posted in the Member Submissions forums. Information Nuggets go to General Discussion.
Duncan Edwards

Elon Musk Challenged by Quicksand

Postby Duncan Edwards » Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:37 am

Elon Musk just opened his new plant in Austin, Texas. During his speech at the opening celebration he lists what they had to overcome in completing a building that is three times the size of the Pentagon.

https://youtu.be/fiwUE_2JhvY?t=2757
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

mike_gt6

Re: Elon Musk Challenged by Quicksand

Postby mike_gt6 » Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:09 am

East of I-35 the land is very sandy/limestoney/clay. Del Valle where he actually has the plant is a lower area. Not far from COTA. Too bad anywhere that has potential in the 50 mile radius of Austin is likely swarming with people since it is so crowded anymore.

BogDog

Postby BogDog » Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:55 am

Here is the actual site, before and after. That IS a huge building.

They covered a lot of potential-looking sinking sites (playgrounds?) 8-) , but I see similar sites nearby. Yes, lot of people around though.

GIGATESLA1.png

GIGATESLA2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:32 pm

BogDog wrote:Here is the actual site, before and after. That IS a huge building.

Excellent images there. It's three times the size of the Pentagon. Elon said anything measured in "units of Pentagon" was very big. :shock: It does serve as an example of why we have to keep moving farther and farther away to find natural areas.
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

Black Clay Lord

Postby Black Clay Lord » Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:12 pm

Me thinks Elon Musk has too much free time on his hands.
There is but one certainty - every end marks a new beginning. "—and methodically knocking peoples' hats off. Then I account it high time to get to sea as soon as I ca—"

mike_gt6

Postby mike_gt6 » Sat Apr 16, 2022 4:08 am

BogDog wrote:Here is the actual site, before and after. That IS a huge building.

They covered a lot of potential-looking sinking sites (playgrounds?) 8-) , but I see similar sites nearby. Yes, lot of people around though.

GIGATESLA1.png

GIGATESLA2.png

Truth be told, it rarely has much water in that area, the Colorado River is usually very low due to all the damming of it upstream for Austin drinking water and then the rest is diverted to the rice farmers. I was in Austin for 13 years, and there were really no areas that were even worth looking into except along the Blanco River out near Reimers Ranch, which was a pretty busy park. The Catskills and Adirondacks were exponentially better for finding good areas to sink in.

BogDog

Postby BogDog » Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:43 am

Looking back over the years, the site HAS changed over time. The "pits" didn't appear until the freeway went in between 2006 and 2008.

gigateslatexas.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

jenny_up_to_no_good

Postby jenny_up_to_no_good » Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:10 pm

Black Clay Lord wrote:Me thinks Elon Musk has too much free time on his hands.

Elon Musk has too much of a LOT of things lmao

Return to “Nuggets”