Stanley (1972) Making Of

Share Your Media Finds! Includes scans and incidental on-topic images, as well as links to on-topic items at photo and video sharing sites. Material created by the community should be posted in the Member Submissions forums. Information Nuggets go to General Discussion.
mnsn

Stanley (1972) Making Of

Postby mnsn » Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:56 am

https://youtu.be/dE5uEfS4qHA Starts around 22:45

Some commentary from Steve Alaimo and one of the writers about how the scene was filmed, including how they got the point of view shot of a character going under.

sand_quick

Re: Stanley (1972) Making Of

Postby sand_quick » Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:32 am

Great find - thanks for posting.

Duncan Edwards

Re: Stanley (1972) Making Of

Postby Duncan Edwards » Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:20 am

Yes, great find. That's an interesting bit of the story where they talk about how the camera man wouldn't get in the quicksand to shoot the submersion point of view. I had the exact same experience while with the National Geographic Danger Quicksand documentary crew. The camera man had some nice gear and, as you might expect, he'd been all over shooting stuff for NG. But he wouldn't get in the deep stuff. Flat out refused. Lucky for him I was there. As a wannabe photojournalist in my wasted youth I'd dreamed of working for National Geographic. Here was my moment so I told them I could handle a camera and I'd do it. That pov submergence shot at 1:09 was mine - Danger Quicksand
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

Return to “Nuggets”