Quicksand rescue on BBC Coast

Share Your Media Finds! Includes scans and incidental on-topic images, as well as links to on-topic items at photo and video sharing sites. Material created by the community should be posted in the Member Submissions forums. Information Nuggets go to General Discussion.
bigpj71

Quicksand rescue on BBC Coast

Postby bigpj71 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:44 pm

Found this video on Youtube, real quicksand rescue of woman presenter on BBC TV Coast series, enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ABO9CW3tDI

Herzeleid

Re: Quicksand rescue on BBC Coast

Postby Herzeleid » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:50 pm

The presenter is the very lovely Alice Roberts. You can't beat an attractive young lady talking about quicksand! :D
"Gott weiss ich will kein engel sein" ( God knows I don't want to be an angel )
_ Rammstein, "Engel"

water_bug_62208

Postby water_bug_62208 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:58 am

Outstanding find! Neat how the rescuers have those special boots to better distribute their weight across the mire to keep them from sinking in. Thanks for sharing!

nachtjaeger

Postby nachtjaeger » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:31 am

Nice one!
This space for rent- advertise your product or service here!

Mynock

Postby Mynock » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:22 am

Seriously? You need 8 firefighters, a powerwasher and a freaking tank to get out of that?
"Know thyself, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."
--Sun Tzu

water_bug_62208

Postby water_bug_62208 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:12 pm

Mynock wrote:Seriously? You need 8 firefighters, a powerwasher and a freaking tank to get out of that?

If that stuff she's stuck in is anything like the glacial silt in Turnagain Arm, Alaska, then the answer is probably, "Yes."

Wyndlass

Postby Wyndlass » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:36 am

If the quicksand really is that sticky and aggressive, then perhaps we need that in every swamp. ;)

nachtjaeger

Postby nachtjaeger » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:09 am

I don't know about eight firefighters and all the safety gear, but a vehicle that will cross quicksand while carrying a water lance and a tank of H20 is a must. Morecambe Bay has the kind of quicksand (according to Mirador and Pippa) that when it "locks up" sets like concrete. Try to dig, and it just flows back in. :shock: Without a water lance, you're SOL.

Mynock wrote:Seriously? You need 8 firefighters, a powerwasher and a freaking tank to get out of that?
This space for rent- advertise your product or service here!

Billie Bonce

Postby Billie Bonce » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:18 pm

nachtjaeger wrote:I don't know about eight firefighters and all the safety gear, but a vehicle that will cross quicksand while carrying a water lance and a tank of H20 is a must. Morecambe Bay has the kind of quicksand (according to Mirador and Pippa) that when it "locks up" sets like concrete. Try to dig, and it just flows back in. :shock: Without a water lance, you're SOL.

Perhaps I shouldn't ruin our common dream of absolutely inescapable quicksand...
but as far as I remember, Mirador told a story that once upon a time he was trapped in quicksand there, he had 1 (one) friend, and it took 30 minutes to free him. No firefighters, no special equipment. As far as I remember what Pippa told on her site, she completely relied upon her two photographers, Mirador and the second, who's name I don't remember. She described how the quicksand may let the water out and set like concrete, but she was sure if this would happen then her two photographers would dig her out.

The obvious reason why one may need that many firefighters with that heavy equipment is the lack of time before the rising tide.
There’s so many different worlds
So many different suns
And we have just one world
But we live in different ones

Return to “Nuggets”