Probable quicksand scene in next week's La Brea episode.

Share Your Media Finds! Includes scans and incidental on-topic images, as well as links to on-topic items at photo and video sharing sites. Material created by the community should be posted in the Member Submissions forums. Information Nuggets go to General Discussion.
BogDog

Re: Probable quicksand scene in next week's La Brea episode.

Postby BogDog » Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:51 am

Agreed. Even if the character could escape on her own the actress could have made it look as difficult as it should have/would have been.

Then again, if that were the case then she would not have gotten out in time to shoot the arrow. Writers get a lot of leeway. :lol:
"Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

cbqdbq

Postby cbqdbq » Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:58 am

If it was tar pit why did it not burn her flesh? maybe there was some other stuff in it that was (yeah right) "absorbing" the corrosive element so it only looks and "icks" like a tar pit. And also made it easier to wash off.

I guess the stuff isn't "eager" to let Leyla sink, but if she struggles, she sinks further. If trapped air bubbles up near her, she sinks further. I wonder what would have happened if an air bubble erupted right under her?! - would she go right under?

On one link, here are the times that the two characters are involved with the "tar" pit.

15 :53-18 :46 start of Leyla and Izzy – got trapped
21:02 – 23:29 – signal fire, then urgency
29:54 – 31:22 – rope and then rescue
From 35:50 is the epilog with a remark about using baby powder to clean off the 'tar'
Last edited by cbqdbq on Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
cbqdbq
compeled by qs, demies by qs

Boggy Man

Postby Boggy Man » Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:49 am

BogDog wrote:Agreed. Even if the character could escape on her own the actress could have made it look as difficult as it should have/would have been.

Then again, if that were the case then she would not have gotten out in time to shoot the arrow. Writers get a lot of leeway. :lol:

The charging of the boar would have had to be delayed by an appropriate time.
I sink, therefore I WAM!!!!

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

mudmaiden

Postby mudmaiden » Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:29 pm

A synopsis of the tar pit scene on YouTube. About 3;31 in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKdBF_JAOh8
Tarzan to Jill Hardy: Girl be still. Not sink!!"
From "Valley Of Mystery" : Don't struggle and do not thrash around; that just makes things worse!

Also: check me out at:
http://mudmaiden.deviantart.com/gallery/

Chimerix

Postby Chimerix » Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:51 pm

Ok, WTF? Woman in mortal danger, sinking into inescapable tar, and we're going to stop all rescue efforts and take time to monologue? I think blondie was secretly hoping to see her go under!
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

cbqdbq

Postby cbqdbq » Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:00 am

BogDog wrote:Picky 'ol me enjoyed it until the end when she starts escaping the pit.

Suddenly in an instant it went from thick, sticky tar that she says she can't move around in to thick, runny oil that she had no issue sliding through and even climbing out on her own.(say what?) :shock:

If she moved around, it would cause her to sink deeper. However, once Leyla had the rope, she had a firm anchor to solid ground and moving around would cause her to be ABLE to sink, but the anchor keeps her from going down.

But a good point is made: why Leyla was only sinking every now and then? I also wonder how she ended up being upright if she fell in sideways or rolled down the hill out of the boar's path, and how she ended up so far from the edge. I suppose Leyla might have rolled onto it - laying on it, she would have been spreading her weight over a larger area, and then tried to sit up, only to see her feet and legs go down below the surface.

I noticed another small "pit" in the foreground, about a metre square, maybe only 2-5 feet deep? How deep might the main pit have been? Deep enough, I guess, to trap bubbles of air until they get big enough to force their way up through the weight of the "tar" over them. Also, Leyla herself might have pierced some smaller bubbles when she struggled, causing the stuff underneath to move around and make room for her to sink deeper.
cbqdbq
compeled by qs, demies by qs

Theo

Postby Theo » Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:25 am

Fun to watch, but like everyone's been saying, they took a lot of "artistic license" on that one. But kudos for doing a decent tar scene for a change.

I've heard your body is actually about the same density or even slightly more dense then tar, so if they wanted to make it more realistic and urgent they should've shown her gradually sinking, as opposed to staying in the same place for who knows how long, then suddenly sinking a bit. That, and maybe making it look a little... okay, maybe a lot thicker would've made it great.

I also like how she says she's going to need a bath afterwards (yeah, like in a pool of Goo-Gone and Dawn :lol: ).
Finally broke down and went to see a psychologist. She told me I just have an overactive imagination—and it really excited her. We're going sinking next weekend. Theo's AI Quicksandbox New stuff every weekend (unless life gets in the way)

BogDog

Postby BogDog » Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:17 pm

When you really get down to the truth, tar is not like quicksand. She would have been stuck on the surface a few to several inches deep. Animals supposedly starved or died of thirst. They did not drown in tar as it was just too thick. Over time, maybe months or even years their remains sank and were buried.

We were led to believe though various forms of media that the big pit was filled with sticky, mucky tar. But when you see it at La Brea with the mammoth statues you are seeing an excavated hole filled with rain water and oil seeping in and various types of dust and debris on the surface, not a tar pit.

This is what the site actually looked like before they dug the pit seeking fossils. No pools of goo here.:

It's not a pit of thick sticky goo as most people believe and as shown in the TV episode. That's why people can literally don protective suits and dive in there, and have too.

LAPD Officer Dives into La Brea Tar Pit for Murder Case

An LAPD officer dived into California tar pits in search for clues to a murder.
ByABC News
June 7, 2013, 11:23 AM

Murder Case Heads to California's La Brea Tar Pits

A Los Angeles police officer dives in murky sludge for evidence in a 2011 killing.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/video/murder- ... s-19347780

LAPD Sgt. David Mascarenas spent an hour Thursday in the murky pit filled with methane and hydrogen sulfate-filled water and was submerged as deeply as 17 feet, officials said.

"This is the first time someone has been submered in the pits, in my recent memory," said Lauren Girard, manager of Guest Relations at the Page Museum, which oversees the La Brea Tar Pits.

"People aren't usually inclined to drop things into the pits because they are so hard to get to. It's not something that's common. Mostly we find trash that has been blown by the wind or small animals," Girard said.

Mascarenas' dive, however, was successful.

"We did find evidence pertaining to the police investigation," he told ABC News affiliate KABC. "We believe it was there the entire time."

The LAPD would not tell ABC News the details of the 2011 case or what they found.

While the tar pits are not poisonous, Mascarenas did take proper precaution to prevent methane inhalation.

"I was wearing what is called a hazmat dry suit that is supposed to protect you against chemicals and any contaminated water," he told KABC.
"Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:13 am

Love the way we're all adding relevant bits to this. Production values were quite good even though the plausibility was ridiculous by the standards we know. The best moment of the entire thing was the sudden descent she made after the branch broke. The most unbelievable moment was her dropping that huge hog with a single arrow. Interesting behind the scenes stuff there. You can see the air hoses for whatever pneumatics they had lowering her and possibly for air bubbles as well although I have a feeling they just "happened" as those things do. There's a little disappointment at MPV for having not patented the set they used.

IMG_1393.JPG

Overall, not quite the Predator scene but well done for Hollywood. Especially so for television. :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

Boggy Man

Postby Boggy Man » Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:48 am

BogDog wrote:When you really get down to the truth, tar is not like quicksand. She would have been stuck on the surface a few to several inches deep. Animals supposedly starved or died of thirst. They did not drown in tar as it was just too thick. Over time, maybe months or even years their remains sank and were buried.

Tar pits come in a range of depths and thicknesses, and stickiness. Some are shallow and act like giant flypaper and others are deeper and act like both flypaper and, as mentioned, can take forever to sink under when very thick. For those, the victims die of exposure, starvation, dehydration, or predation (and the predators may become stuck too and become victims). But others are softer, and DO act like quicksand in terms of visibly sinking! Of course, with the deep stuff, there is no buoyancy!

BogDog wrote:We were led to believe though various forms of media that the big pit was filled with sticky, mucky tar. But when you see it at La Brea with the mammoth statues you are seeing an excavated hole filled with rain water and oil seeping in and various types of dust and debris on the surface, not a tar pit.

This is what the site actually looked like before they dug the pit seeking fossils. No pools of goo here.:

It's not a pit of thick sticky goo as most people believe and as shown in the TV episode. That's why people can literally don protective suits and dive in there, and have too.

LAPD Officer Dives into La Brea Tar Pit for Murder Case

An LAPD officer dived into California tar pits in search for clues to a murder.
ByABC News
June 7, 2013, 11:23 AM

Murder Case Heads to California's La Brea Tar Pits

A Los Angeles police officer dives in murky sludge for evidence in a 2011 killing.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/video/murder- ... s-19347780

LAPD Sgt. David Mascarenas spent an hour Thursday in the murky pit filled with methane and hydrogen sulfate-filled water and was submerged as deeply as 17 feet, officials said.

"This is the first time someone has been submered in the pits, in my recent memory," said Lauren Girard, manager of Guest Relations at the Page Museum, which oversees the La Brea Tar Pits.

"People aren't usually inclined to drop things into the pits because they are so hard to get to. It's not something that's common. Mostly we find trash that has been blown by the wind or small animals," Girard said.

Mascarenas' dive, however, was successful.

"We did find evidence pertaining to the police investigation," he told ABC News affiliate KABC. "We believe it was there the entire time."

The LAPD would not tell ABC News the details of the 2011 case or what they found.

While the tar pits are not poisonous, Mascarenas did take proper precaution to prevent methane inhalation.

"I was wearing what is called a hazmat dry suit that is supposed to protect you against chemicals and any contaminated water," he told KABC.

I remember that story. While under the water, he could see how the tar rose up from the bottom in bloblike columns with gaseous interiors. When one was poked, gas was released, which made him feel sick. While down there, he had to be careful not to touch any of the tar, because when he accidentally did, he almost got stuck, but managed to get free.

Here is a YouTube video of a guy daring to go for a swim on an innertube in the tar pit, which is actually water with a small patch of floating tar, which he kept away from:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji4bUEC1hH4&t=1774s
I sink, therefore I WAM!!!!

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

Return to “Nuggets”