News Article and BBC show......

Share Your Media Finds! Includes scans and incidental on-topic images, as well as links to on-topic items at photo and video sharing sites. Material created by the community should be posted in the Member Submissions forums. Information Nuggets go to General Discussion.
klaszlo

News Article and BBC show......

Postby klaszlo » Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:43 pm

Hello:

A recent flurry of mud/QS rescues in the UK
has got folks there all upset.

I also wonder if recent mainstream coverage
will lead to further 'stucks' ??

Anyone catch the video ??

http://bit.ly/9zBkrZ

KL

Antares

Re: News Article and BBC show......

Postby Antares » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:18 pm

IF the article is accurate this is repeated on Nat Geo at midnight tonight so i'll try and record it and see.

**edit**

next repeat is Friday at 10pm...

MuddyEddie

Postby MuddyEddie » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:40 am

Antares wrote:next repeat is Friday at 10pm...

What timezone?

Eddie

Antares

Postby Antares » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:54 pm

It's on in the UK mate!

MuddyEddie

Postby MuddyEddie » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:32 pm

Antares wrote:It's on in the UK mate!

And I have a movable satellite dish and can watch Nat Geo! So, again, what time zone? I assume it's BST.

Eddie

Boggy Man

Postby Boggy Man » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:52 am

MuddyEddie wrote:

And I have a movable satellite dish and can watch Nat Geo! So, again, what time zone? I assume it's BST.

Eddie

I think it would be GMT (Greenwich Mean Time), which is 8 hours difference from PDT (Pacific Daylight Time), 7 hours difference from Mountain Daylight Time, 6 hours difference from Central Daylight Time, 5 hours difference from Eastern Daylight Time, etc. Also, wouldn't that NG channel be a different one from the American one (namely a British version), and while having some overlap in terms of programming, may carry some different programs that aren't shown on the other? :?
I sink, therefore I WAM!!!!

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

Antares

Postby Antares » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:27 pm

MuddyEddie wrote:

Eddie

Sorry, i'd assumed that it would be a scrambled service outwith the UK.

MuddyEddie

Postby MuddyEddie » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:15 am

Boggy Man wrote:Also, wouldn't that NG channel be a different one from the American one (namely a British version), and while having some overlap in terms of programming, may carry some different programs that aren't shown on the other?

Not necessarily. The nice feature about using a big satellite dish, instead of one of the pay services (Dish, DirectTV, Bell) is that you can move around to many different satellites to scan for channels. I have about 1,200 channels, on 39 different satellites, programmed into my receiver. That includes a number of channels in languages I can't even understand (anyone on here speak Cantonese? Chinese? Arabic?).

The disadvantage is that things change around quite a bit on the satellite. Some days a channel is there, other days it's gone. Sometimes the channel is just a secondary feed. I watched HBO for two days while they were on a temporary feed channel, and it was unscrambled!

So I'll set up to look at the UK NatGeo channel and see if it's not being scrambled. If not, then my DVR has some work to do! :mrgreen:

Eddie

Antares

Postby Antares » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:32 pm

Well it was no good, everone was rescued by lifeboat before the helicopter got there. They had been stuck for 2 hours+ though and were very very distressed so we won't hold it against them.

MuddyEddie

Postby MuddyEddie » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:10 am

Antares wrote:Well it was no good, everone was rescued by lifeboat before the helicopter got there. They had been stuck for 2 hours+ though and were very very distressed so we won't hold it against them.

That makes me feel better! I set my DVR to record for three hours, in case I had the timezones confused. Never recorded for that long before. Turns out that my DVR has a limit of 2GB for a file size, and three hours takes up 2.4GB! It crashed and I couldn't see any of it.

Not that it would have mattered anyway. The signal from the satellite was so weak that it was constantly dropping out anyway. It's hard to "see" the UK birds from here in the 'States.

Eddie

Return to “Nuggets”