Things are certainly *Interesting* Down Under

Share Your Media Finds! Includes scans and incidental on-topic images, as well as links to on-topic items at photo and video sharing sites. Material created by the community should be posted in the Member Submissions forums. Information Nuggets go to General Discussion.
klaszlo

Things are certainly *Interesting* Down Under

Postby klaszlo » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:05 pm

Hello:

Random/Odd news item........

http://www.bit.ly/d7ccFN

And we sometimes worry about mosquitoes.
(Although they DO carry EEE and West Nile)

KL

Beast260

Re: Things are certainly *Interesting* Down Under

Postby Beast260 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:37 pm

yeah the Northern territory is well known for strange but true stories to come from there. shame the photo wasnt any bigger.

Mynock

Postby Mynock » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:37 pm

5 meters is big. if that thing decideds to eat you you're screwed. Obviously not the sharpest tool in the shed.
"Know thyself, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."
--Sun Tzu

Beast260

Postby Beast260 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:18 am

LOL very true... up in the NT there arnt really that many sharp tools in the shed LOL

Villein

Postby Villein » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:43 pm

When I was living in FNQ for five+ years I pretty much gave up any interest in outdoor mudding.
Once you've heard the snap of a croc's jaws up close (at say a croc farm) you'll have absolutely zero interest in going anywhere near an estuary body, let alone any mud!

Mind you, camping on a beach in that part of the world is also inviting disaster.
While I was up there a croc literally unzipped a tent and proceeded to try to drag a grown man into the surf in the middle of the night.
Fortunately for him, his mother (in her sixties) decided her thumbs could be used to persuade the croc to let go by jabbing it repeatedly in the eyes.

It is a bit of a pity as depending on where you go there is quite a bit of quite deep river-system mud.
It's just really not worth the risk of being killed, or if you're lucky losing a limb to.
PLEASE DELETE

YerK

Postby YerK » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:48 am

I want that lady for a mudding partner. :-)

T-elos

Postby T-elos » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:10 am

*rolls her eyes and sighs * hmm i seem to see alot of smart people and i dont see a issue with her out there and have been out and about in situations like seen but you have to know what your doing crocs leave alot of signs ya just have to be the none stupid type to read them. You cant let fear scare you away from what you enjoy you just need to respect it .
Listening to the words of a stupid person is about like listening to useless noise, all it does is irritate you and drive you away ...it maybe why im so quiet.

Beast260

Postby Beast260 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:43 am

just glad i dont have to worry about crocs down my way.

YerK

Postby YerK » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:29 pm

T-elos wrote:*rolls her eyes and sighs * hmm i seem to see alot of smart people and i dont see a issue with her out there and have been out and about in situations like seen but you have to know what your doing crocs leave alot of signs ya just have to be the none stupid type to read them. You cant let fear scare you away from what you enjoy you just need to respect it .

Now, now... First: Much of what I have ever done by way of mudding was stupid. I've swam across an unfamiliar river (admittedly one without crocs!) in the middle of the night, without any clue how deep it was beyond "I couldn't touch bottom". I've been alone in the desert, up to my shoulders in mud without any clue what rusted car-parts or whatever my feet may have found on their way down. I've even sliced an ankle so badly that I was able to watch a vein throb while I gently tried to get the sand out of the cut. My point is that this woman would likely go anywhere I went, and there's safety in numbers. (with a big leap between 1 and 2!) She went somewhere I feel sure I wouldn't go, but I didn't see her side of that story in the article. Maybe, with my help finding mud, she wouldn't feel the need to go swimming with the crocs.

Return to “Nuggets”