Madchen in Moor....video.....(female)

Share Your Media Finds! Includes scans and incidental on-topic images, as well as links to on-topic items at photo and video sharing sites. Material created by the community should be posted in the Member Submissions forums. Information Nuggets go to General Discussion.
klaszlo

Madchen in Moor....video.....(female)

Postby klaszlo » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:47 pm

Hello:

A while back German TV had a fascination with bodies found
in peat bogs, etc. Made a few TV shows about such dangers.
This one has a lab-manufacured peat bog, and a young lady
in a drysuit w/harness and rope. Also a dramatiztion of historical events.

http://www.bit.ly/GHPlDk

A much shorter version has been @ YTube for some time......

http://www.bit.ly/GMFOsU

KL

marshmouse

Re: Madchen in Moor....video.....(female)

Postby marshmouse » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:22 am

Wow. Sweet. Thanks!
Peeps!

BogDog

Postby BogDog » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:29 am

That "dramatization" was one of the best, most realistically acted scenes I've ever witnessed in a long time. Wow. Thx for sharing.

I need to find a free video editor so I can try cutting and splicing the drama scenes together. Right now I can only do that with .WMV files.
"Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

PM2K
Always Remembered

Postby PM2K » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:02 am

Excellent. Thanks for the links! :D

What I found really interesting is how our young lady subject really had trouble staying afloat in the wet peat... one knows we can flaot in quicksand, but to see someone having issues with peat seems to give some weight to fantasies of bogs sucking people down, doesn't it?

bart1997

Postby bart1997 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:31 pm

Last edited by bart1997 on Fri May 08, 2015 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rickyj

Postby rickyj » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:03 am

Some thoughts on this:
What is the storyline behind this? I don't speak German. Am I to assume they actually found a woman's body and that's what bones they were showing? So some lady just got stuck? Kind of hard to believe. Perhaps a ceremonial punishment or something like previous poster mentioned. First they show her in some sort of tribal ritual thing, then they show her picking flowers...what the hay? She certainly didn't seem to put up much of a fight getting out of there. Most people would be flaying like a chicken if they were in that situation. So in that regard it wasn't very realistic. They also showed a drawing of her, is this some real woman who dissapeared and they found later and confirmed her identity?
As for these bog things I don't get it though...I mean, c'mon, how hard could it be to just swim your way out of that? First of all, you get some warning when you notice the ground is getting looser. You would think that would be enough to make someone turn around. THen your leg goes down..hmmm....maybe time to turn around now? Even if you went further in, you have arms, right? I just don't see how someone, unless they were drunk/drugged up, or were very weak, could not just simply swim out of muddy water. I'd be out of that crap in under 3 seconds. It's just water with some mud below it. Who could be dumb enough (or weak enough) to not avoid/get their way out of that?
It's like the Tar pits in california. Now human was ever found in any of them (except for one, who they said had been murdered first and thrown in there, because they had a broken skull trauma injury). So how come no one ever died in one of those but they died in Germany?

BogDog

Postby BogDog » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:19 pm

1. I believe most people who perish in QS do so like that, by drowning. Most quicksand is found under water, after all.

We already know you don't go completely under in water-logged sand or mud.

But in her case, even if you don't go completely under the mud, your head may still go under water if it is present. She drowned, and then her body eventually sank and settled into the peat.

2. The story seems to be about a female skeleton found in a peat bog. Through forensic methods they determined her age and sex, and via skull measurements plus data on features of her assumed race, determined what she may have looked like.

Then through scientific examination they deduced her method of death,..... accidental, sacrifice, etc. I wish I could understand German so I would know how they reached their conclusion. I imagine a lack of wounds on the body could rule out sacrifice followed by bog burial.

3, You don't sink and drown in tar like you see in cartoons, you get stuck and die of thirst. That is, if a predator doesn't nail your trapped butt first. PLUS, unlike quicksand or mud bogs covered with dry crust, a tar pit is easy to spot and identify for a human. Even the smell provides a warning that an animal won't be alerted to unless it had previous experience with the stuff.

THATiS why people don't get trapped in tar pits. A person can reason there is danger. Animals go by instinct, which doesn't always work for them.

Plus, ancient folk lived and hunted together, so anyone who accidentally stepped in the stuff would mostly likely find assistance to escape. Animals normally don't help other animals escape natural or created traps.

Sound logical?

rickyj

Postby rickyj » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:11 am

Thanks for clarifying some of that...and sorry to those who clicked on this thread again only to see my dumb add on post.
I believe you are correct about the water probably being pretty deep above it, but I still seriously doubt the person(s) drowned. The body was most likely put there after it was dead. But there are maybe 10 possiblities how bodies get there, it was most likely PUT there after it was dead (a hiding spot from someone who killed the person--that is the most likely case, probably some jealous lover did it), or perhaps a suicide, perhaps some strange witch-hunt ritual test thing or something, maybe even a fetish thing gone wrong (heh heh), but it is very doubtful the person was just walking along and got stuck and died there, no one would be dumb/weak enough to fall for that (pun intended). In other words, these things are probably not accidents. And it is also very unlikely it was a natural burial, because people bury people in graveyards I would think. They wouldn't just toss someone in a bog.
As for tar pits, often they are covered with water or grass on top. Only one human skeleton was found, but apparently they also found a jagged-shaped rock next to it, and a hole in the person's skull as well as a dog next to it, so the assumption was some caveman or something killed this woman, then threw her, the murder weapon, and her dog (probably still alive) into the pit to hide the body. Nobody would ever think of looking in there. Actually, the natives used the tar to help build their huts and stuff.

BogDog

Postby BogDog » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:38 am

Many people have died/drowned that way...

...and grass doesn't grow on tar. ;)

bart1997

Postby bart1997 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:41 am

Last edited by bart1997 on Fri May 08, 2015 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Nuggets”