Anyone know where the deep mud near AR is?

It can't hurt to ask for stuff - nicely, that is...
YerKiddin

Anyone know where the deep mud near AR is?

Postby YerKiddin » Wed May 26, 2010 12:10 am

I live in Arkansas (near the center of the state) and would love to find some mud to sink in. There was a time when I could tell you some places to park in CA, TX, and AR to go play in the mud, but I haven't been to CA to play in the mud in over 20 years, and haven't had a chance to go looking for trouble in TX or AR for over 10.

prince_vegeta

Re: Anyone know where the deep mud near AR is?

Postby prince_vegeta » Thu May 27, 2010 12:41 am

as also living in the same state, i'm still trying to locate any quicksand or deep mud spots in this state or near around my area.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam savage of Mythbusters

YerKiddin

Postby YerKiddin » Thu May 27, 2010 2:14 am

I've investigated the little marina that is east of the presidential library. I found no mud, but did determine that it's not a nice or friendly neighborhood, and there is no handy private way to the water. The lock-and-dam system does wonders for shipping and real estate along the river, but it also does just as much to get rid of the really fun muddy sites. :-(

There was a time when I would go down to the Red river, just about 30 minutes this side of Texarkana. I think I used to take the Fulton exit and go play under the bridge. Then they put locks and dams on that river as well, and people started settling right up to the river banks, as flooding was so much less likely. :-( If you do go there, I do have this word of GOOD advice. Be careful you do not put any removed clothing on a fire ant nest. I did that exactly one time. (proving it was possible for me to learn, at least as recent as 20 years ago)

I've heard stories about deep mud on some of the rice farms down in the SE, along the Mississippi river, but I don't know any of the farmers personally, to be able to ask to play in their mud. I had an acquaintance at one point who told me of having lost a pickup in a field that was far to wet to try and drive across. He said his buddy went for a tractor while he sat on a levee and drank his beer, and the truck actually sank so that only cabin was in view by the time the tractor arrived, and the insurance company totaled it without paying to remove it from the field. He said it continued to sink, and they have actually cultivated the field since, over the top of it. (Then again, stories here *can* get just as big as those in TX sometimes)

undergrain1

Postby undergrain1 » Thu May 27, 2010 5:55 am

If the field is soft enough to swallow his vehicle, how can it support plowing operations?

YerKiddin

Postby YerKiddin » Thu May 27, 2010 12:55 pm

While it could have something to do with the time of year, it could also be that they don't flood a rice field until after they're finished with all the plowing & planting.

Time of year is VERY important anywhere they grow rice. The aquifer in eastern AR is being drained, mainly by the rice farmers. AR grows a LOT of rice, and keeping the fields flooded takes a LOT of water. Some of that water spills or seeps out during the season, and during the off season, the aquifer gets a bit of recharge from the Mississippi river, allowing springs that just don't have water at other times during the year.

Fun little trivia fact: Rice doesn't need the water to grow. Using the water keeps weeds and grasses from growing and choking the rice. That's why they flood the fields.

(of course, he still may have been lying out his ass) ;-)

YerKiddin

Postby YerKiddin » Thu May 27, 2010 10:20 pm

I'm gonna take a break from studying and go search for some mud to play in. Wish me luck!

I'm back. No luck there. Private property, NO TRESPASSING. *sigh*

Return to “Requests”