Pictures of my sinking location

Pictures that you took and want to share.
mud_dreamer

Pictures of my sinking location

Postby mud_dreamer » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:02 am

Here are a few pictures of my current sinking location. I found this in the spring and have used it 3 times. It is along a relatively clean stream. It is a shallow eddy pond just below where the stream takes a sharp turn. It naturally collects black silty mud. So far the spots that I have sunk in are a little more than crotch deep before a hard bottom presents itself.

When we get a heavy rain the water level here can rise 5 plus feet and will take several weeks to get back to normal. This is the lowest I have seen it and I think that it will probably go lower but I doubt that the pond will dry up.

On my last outing I moved out to the center (in 6 inches of standing water so no suction) and found that I could not find hard bottom at waste deep. I have considered making an island in the center but I am concerned that it could damage the natural process that is at work here.

The mud at the edge is very sticky. The dryer it gets the more effort it takes to move in it. I have to take breaks when I am trying get out. It is a real workout. I do it slowly so that I don't over strain my muscles.

I get a lot dirtier after putting the camera away. Cleanup here is very easy as the stream does all the work. All I have to do is drop down in it and move around a little.

I purchased a couple of these water toys to see if injecting water into the mud adjacent to my legs and feet makes extraction easier. It works amazingly well. I was able to lift my leg out with one steady pull. I keep a small pale of water within reach to reload the "Stream Machine".

https://www.streammachinestore.com/stor ... gIyLvD_BwE

I hope that you enjoy the pictures. Knowing that other people enjoy playing in the mud makes this much more enjoyable. ;)
I discovered at an early age that I like the sensation of being stuck in the mud. I would have never thought then that I would someday be sharing pictures of me doing it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

klib21

Re: Pictures of my sinking location

Postby klib21 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:02 am

Lucky!

mud_dreamer

Postby mud_dreamer » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:17 am

Thanks for the positive comment klib21, I hope you are finding good locations where you live and play.

I usually think of others here as being the lucky ones... but maybe I am lucky after all. I have searched for many (repeat many) hours on google earth and have driven to and checked out a few dozen locations that look good from the air. I would estimate that around 1 in 10 turn out to have better than knee deep mud.

As of this writing I have now found another location that is a little better than the one I have taken photos of. Interestingly, the mud is deeper but actually easier to get in and out of. So far it is bottomless but needs to be "worked" to get the extra depth.

The differences in the mud characteristics between the two locations are very interesting to me. At location A, I am concerned about getting seriously stuck at waist deep. At location B, I have gone to neck deep and had no fears that I could get seriously stuck. The mud looks the same. The best I can tell is that location A is dryer than location B.

Solrex

Postby Solrex » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:16 pm

Deep mud is only bottomless until you find the bottom. Without the bottom found, it is without a bottom, or bottomless. If you were bouyant in it just a foot above the bottom, you wouldn't know any better since it's opaque.

mud_dreamer

Postby mud_dreamer » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:40 am

Solrex wrote:Deep mud is only bottomless until you find the bottom. Without the bottom found, it is without a bottom, or bottomless. If you were bouyant in it just a foot above the bottom, you wouldn't know any better since it's opaque.

True. Thanks for the clarification Solrex.

mud_dreamer

Postby mud_dreamer » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:05 am

mud_dreamer wrote:Thanks for the positive comment klib21, I hope you are finding good locations where you live and play.

I usually think of others here as being the lucky ones... but maybe I am lucky after all. I have searched for many (repeat many) hours on google earth and have driven to and checked out a few dozen locations that look good from the air. I would estimate that around 1 in 10 turn out to have better than knee deep mud.

As of this writing I have now found another location that is a little better than the one I have taken photos of. Interestingly, the mud is deeper but actually easier to get in and out of. So far it is bottomless but needs to be "worked" to get the extra depth.

The differences in the mud characteristics between the two locations are very interesting to me. At location A, I am concerned about getting seriously stuck at waist deep. At location B, I have gone to neck deep and had no fears that I could get seriously stuck. The mud looks the same. The best I can tell is that location A is dryer than location B.

Ok, so again I am quoting myself just for the record. The water level at Location A has dropped and a mud flat has presented itself. I had hoped, predicted, and finally expected this to happen over a month ago. I was able to sink in this to my shoulders/neck and still not touch solid bottom. I was not able to sink deeper due to the buoyancy factor.

Because the mud was still very hydrated I was able to almost swim in it. Having watched several QS videos and observing this phenomena I was very anxious to experience it. Suffice to say it was absolutely amazing. Alone, feeling safe, and experiencing weightlessness ... it was almost magical.

I now feel that both Location A and B have similar mud but the thrill happens at different "dewatering" levels.

BTW, I have a Location C which I hope to report on in the near future. I' plan to take a few more pictures here and there.

klib21

Postby klib21 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:49 am

mud_dreamer wrote:BTW, I have a Location C which I hope to report on in the near future. I' plan to take a few more pictures here and there.

Please do!

Personally, I have also had terrible luck finding any spot worthwhile, and the lack of privacy in my life makes it difficult to go searching when it's optimal.

mud_dreamer

Postby mud_dreamer » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:02 pm

klib21 wrote:
mud_dreamer wrote:BTW, I have a Location C which I hope to report on in the near future. I' plan to take a few more pictures here and there.

Please do!

Personally, I have also had terrible luck finding any spot worthwhile, and the lack of privacy in my life makes it difficult to go searching when it's optimal.

I am sorry to hear this klib21. I had similar feelings of frustration when I first started but I just kept hunting. Are you using Google Earth? Each time you explore a potential location you are learning something that will help in the future. When I look back at some of the hunts that did not provide any mud, or minimal mud, it makes me realize how far I have come in this endeavor. I used to be convinced that I would have to travel far to find good mud but then almost accidentally I found a little here and there and then started to note certain things about these locations that helped me find even more locations.

As far as pictures of Location C ... it turns out that just a day or 2 after I wrote that, we had a very long steady rain and that location is still under water. It was not a "snooze you loose" event either. I had everything lined up. My truck, kayak, launch point, contingency plans, cleanup, storyline, props(kayak), drysuit for night time coolness, brush for cleaning off drysuit. I knew there was rain in the forecast but I had hoped that it would not blow out the location. Hope doesn't put mud on the body. :cry:

The good news is that this motivated me to build my own mud pit on my own land. The project is going well. I have been posting pictures in the "build your own mud pit" thread. I plan to start my own thread on this at some point.

Sinkman61

Postby Sinkman61 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:05 am

Solrex wrote:Deep mud is only bottomless until you find the bottom. Without the bottom found, it is without a bottom, or bottomless. If you were bouyant in it just a foot above the bottom, you wouldn't know any better since it's opaque.

Really? I thought that mud in bottomless areas had some Chinese people stuck on the other side of the planet. And I’ve always wondered if you could run into a volcano when you sink about 5 miles down. But then I realized that just because we call it “bottomless” doesn’t mean there’s no bottom. We just haven’t found it yet.

Solrex

Postby Solrex » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:34 pm

Sinkman61 wrote:

Really? I thought that mud in bottomless areas had some Chinese people stuck on the other side of the planet. And I’ve always wondered if you could run into a volcano when you sink about 5 miles down. But then I realized that just because we call it “bottomless” doesn’t mean there’s no bottom. We just haven’t found it yet.

Even then, you would float about chest to neck deep because of buoyancy.

Return to “Photos”