On location: The swamps of sadness...

Pictures that you took and want to share.
bogbud

Re: On location: The swamps of sadness...

Postby bogbud » Mon May 18, 2020 9:47 am

gamwam wrote:ace pics,. great sink,. would have been awsome to watch it unfold on the video :)

I'm so much not talented to do reasonable fotography or even videos..That little cam was dangling from some tree and the resolution is also bad. I would really need more and better equipment. Better leave it to the producers here or the more dedicated youtubers like Maria is.
I'm already chindeep in this mudbog and every desperate attempt to move my stuck legs only drives me deeper in. The thick mud slowly swamps my waders and my arms have nothing to hold onto.
I'm feeling home.

maria

Postby maria » Mon May 25, 2020 6:57 am

Practice makes perfect, so the more you sink, the more you enjoy life and the better you get at making movies ;) Win win all round!! :D And besides, there's so few of us who make videos, every video counts as good, no matter how inexperienced you might think you are. Keep the camera rolling - "Take 9!"

rgadt

Postby rgadt » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:02 am

Bogbud you have such an amazing place for sinking there... Realize this post is very late to the thread but just wanted to congratulate you on such a wonderful spot and a very successful sink. I haven't been able to get into my favorite local spot for a while now, because (1) it's under about 5 feet of water right now and (2) the entrance has recently been decorated with a lovely "No Trespassing" sign, although this is a state park that was open to the public before it flooded about 10 times :-x Would love to see some clips of those fabulous Acquo boots sinking out of sight in that mud, so hope you get that chance eventually.
rgadt

bogbud

Postby bogbud » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:39 pm

rgadt wrote:Bogbud you have such an amazing place for sinking there... Realize this post is very late to the thread but just wanted to congratulate you on such a wonderful spot and a very successful sink. I haven't been able to get into my favorite local spot for a while now, because (1) it's under about 5 feet of water right now and (2) the entrance has recently been decorated with a lovely "No Trespassing" sign, although this is a state park that was open to the public before it flooded about 10 times :-x Would love to see some clips of those fabulous Acquo boots sinking out of sight in that mud, so hope you get that chance eventually.
rgadt

Well, thanks. I've visited that area so many times over the years and it still manages to surprise me. The conditions are changing all the time and i constantly discover new mudholes in this bog. On the downside i don't think i will be able to visit that area i the next couple weeks or a few months. Bugs and flies and moskitos have taken over and my repellant is only worth its price in the first five minutes or so. I think a lot of you folks know what i'm talking about. Also, as i normaly tend to go in the dusk it's too late already (9pm is the earliest start).

Just in case you are interested in them Acquo-Boots, they are hidden in the following picture somewhere :lol:
1.jpg
I'm already chindeep in this mudbog and every desperate attempt to move my stuck legs only drives me deeper in. The thick mud slowly swamps my waders and my arms have nothing to hold onto.
I'm feeling home.

mud_dreamer

Postby mud_dreamer » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:59 am

^^^ Nice mud bogbud.

That looks like the right consistency for an easy deep sink.
You said that you go there at dusk. Is there a privacy issue there? It looks like it is way off the beaten path.

Where do you clean up? Or do you just peel off all your gear and bag it?

mud_dreamer

bogbud

Postby bogbud » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:21 am

mud_dreamer wrote:^^^ Nice mud bogbud.

That looks like the right consistency for an easy deep sink.
You said that you go there at dusk. Is there a privacy issue there? It looks like it is way off the beaten path.

Where do you clean up? Or do you just peel off all your gear and bag it?

mud_dreamer

It's more a personal preference. Although no one dares to enter the bog itself there is a small hiking path at the edge of that general area and there are also paddocks with horses or cows next to it. Also there are hunters sometimes. So on the way to or from that bog there is a slim chance to see someone else.
Cleanup is possible in a brook/ditch that forms the edge of the bog. It's deep and muddy too but better than nothing . In the end I pack all that gear into a large backpack

Edit:
The pic shows the ditch that works also as a very effective barrier against any intruders. The worst (or best?) part of the bog is on the other side and you have to carefully wade through it. That exposed mud you can see gives an impression whats waiting there :twisted:
I'm feeling home.

gamwam

Postby gamwam » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:41 pm

that looks awsome just over the ditch,. im still hoping one day your gonna video a sink for us

mud_dreamer

Postby mud_dreamer » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:15 am

I would definitely sink in a bog like that if I ever find one.

I recently checked out a very swampy area on the Mississippi River by me. I am guessing that the last people to step there were Native Americans in the 1800's. I did find an area that I got to knee deep in but it took a lot of work and I encountered some small tree roots in the process.

That area must not be a bog right? A bog is really loose mud and more organics than clay right? Just guessing, no experience with bogs.

Can I ask you why you wear what you wear? Is it for protection? And/or for getting more stuck?

mud_dreamer

bogbud

Postby bogbud » Sun May 08, 2022 10:20 am

Time for another batch of recent photos!
Right now the bog again is in the process of drying up. It becomes more navigable as the crust on top of the always soft bog becomes a bit more stable, also the bog is even more secluded now. Too bad mosquitos are getting more and more hungry. I really got to find a better bug-repellant :oops:
Last edited by bogbud on Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm feeling home.

bogbud

Postby bogbud » Sun May 08, 2022 10:24 am

Batch 2
Last edited by bogbud on Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm feeling home.

Return to “Photos”