Pictures of my 4th decent sinking location

Pictures that you took and want to share.
mud_dreamer

Pictures of my 4th decent sinking location

Postby mud_dreamer » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:17 am

Hello fellow sinkers. I hope you are having a great season.
It seems like I am able to find 2 or 3 decent sinking locations each season.
The great thing about this location is that the privacy factor is very high so I can go there in the daytime. I have not touched bottom in neck deep mud(slightly off vertical). I access it with my kayak. There is a relatively clean stream nearby for cleanup.

Right now, I would say that this is overall my favorite location.

While I was chest deep in the mud, I looked over into the tall grass and saw that a beaver was on its hind legs watching me. It then dropped down and kept an eye on me for a few minutes before eventually leaving the area. A little freaky but I would have sprayed it with the Steam Machine if it had advanced. I saw no clear signs of it using this area so I highly doubt that it was considering me a hostile intruder.

From wikipedia:
Beavers have been known to be extremely aggressive in defending their territory against perceived encroachment. They may attack humans when infected by rabies, and "can also become disoriented during the daytime and attack out of fear".

While trout fishing I have had beavers sneak up pretty close to me and slap the water with their tails. Its like a bomb went off! Hard to fault a beaver who is just trying to survive in the wild while the human is out there enjoying a silly fetish.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bogbud

Re: Pictures of my 4th decent sinking location

Postby bogbud » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:16 am

Lokale looks good but why do you need a kayak when there is a bridge right next to it? Also privacy?
I'm already chindeep in this mudbog and every desperate attempt to move my stuck legs only drives me deeper in. The thick mud slowly swamps my waders and my arms have nothing to hold onto.
I'm feeling home.

mud_dreamer

Postby mud_dreamer » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:27 pm

bogbud wrote:Lokale looks good but why do you need a kayak when there is a bridge right next to it? Also privacy?

Good observation bogbud. The roadway above is a major highway. Cars and trucks doing 70 plus.

The kayak launch point is about 1/4 mile downstream at another much smaller bridge.

I have had very good luck finding thick grey silty mud under some of our local bridges. The way they design many bridges around here is to make them extra wide to allow for floodwater to pass easily. So those wide areas below bridges are great for collecting and holding mud. Additionally, the bridge blocks the sunlight so that plant growth is inhibited.

mud_dreamer

bogbud

Postby bogbud » Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:46 pm

mud_dreamer wrote:Good observation bogbud. The roadway above is a major highway. Cars and trucks doing 70 plus.

The kayak launch point is about 1/4 mile downstream at another much smaller bridge.

I have had very good luck finding thick grey silty mud under some of our local bridges. The way they design many bridges around here is to make them extra wide to allow for floodwater to pass easily. So those wide areas below bridges are great for collecting and holding mud. Additionally, the bridge blocks the sunlight so that plant growth is inhibited.

mud_dreamer

:lol: :lol: Sharp eyes i have!

A tidal mudflat i sometimes visit is also near a quite similar bridge, but it is also equipped with a separate way for bikers and walkers, that was the reason for asking. Still the drivers could see you by chance.
I'm already chindeep in this mudbog and every desperate attempt to move my stuck legs only drives me deeper in. The thick mud slowly swamps my waders and my arms have nothing to hold onto.
I'm feeling home.

mud_dreamer

Postby mud_dreamer » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:35 am

bogbud wrote:
Still the drivers could see you by chance.

Correct again bogbud. The bridge has a high solid guardrail but every now and then a very tall truck passes and I see him in his cab way up there. I doubt that his brain would have time to process what just flew by. Also, he would most likely be looking straight ahead while crossing the bridge in the passing lane. The pass takes a fraction of a second.

Nevertheless ... "I do have a plan :geek: ". I will cut several live branches and prop them in the mud to better screen me from view.

Thanks for sanity checking. Imagine my horror if the state police, the fire department, and a news crew came raining down on me. :o :o :o :oops: :oops: :oops:

mud_dreamer

Return to “Photos”