Just found a new place

Pictures that you took and want to share.
triclopse

Just found a new place

Postby triclopse » Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:49 am

I just got back from this place after a few days of exploration in Wales. The exposed peat is so thick I could barely get waist deep without really working, but even when I was almost shoulder deep I couldn't find solid ground. It's hard to predict how soft or deep any spot will be though, there are patches that look like soft mud but can be walked across without sinking, and carpets of thick moss that a person can fall through into deep or shallow water. It's a great place to get stuck, and if I can get back there any time soon I'll try and get some decent videos.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Aiko

Re: Just found a new place

Postby Aiko » Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:12 am

Nice! I especially like the looks of the smooth surface in the second picture. Those animal tracks suggest that it is safe to cross, but in my mind that is just part of the deception so the bog can lead unsuspecting hikers into its muddy depths. :twisted:
Visit me at the Great Swamp, but watch your step on the way there!

lonesinker

Postby lonesinker » Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:40 pm

Its true..there is no telling how deep that stuff is,looks interesting,definately need a long pole to check depth before crossing

Mynock

Postby Mynock » Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:47 pm

Nice. I've never sunk in Peat before so it might be different, but I've found that repeated use of a spot can loosen it up and make sinking easier over time.
"Know thyself, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."
--Sun Tzu

bogbud

Postby bogbud » Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:37 pm

That area is looking great and also quite away from civilization?
About multiple Sinking at the same spot: I sink often in peat or peaty mud and Sinking too much at the same spot makes the area more and more watery (less interesting for me). I give it always quite some time to regenerate
I'm already chindeep in this mudbog and every desperate attempt to move my stuck legs only drives me deeper in. The thick mud slowly swamps my waders and my arms have nothing to hold onto.
I'm feeling home.

triclopse

Postby triclopse » Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:06 pm

It's way out in the wilderness, just a single lane country road leading past it, and not well suited for hiking. It's amazing just how quiet the place is.
Thanks for the information about repeated sinking, that makes sense. I guess the area would have been undisturbed for quite a while. The smooth area in the middle photo had an almost solid layer on top but softer mud underneath.

gamwam

Postby gamwam » Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:16 pm

ive been in that same bog,.. i recognise the third pic - there are actually far better bogs up near holmfirth in the peak district with some seriously deep stuff

triclopse

Postby triclopse » Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:20 am

Thanks for the tip, that's a lot closer to me.

Return to “Photos”