couple of bog shots (from General Discussion)

Pictures that you took and want to share.
nachtjaeger

couple of bog shots (from General Discussion)

Postby nachtjaeger » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:29 am

Thought I'd post a couple of shots of my personal sinking spots.

001a is the north pond- better than 2 1/2 feet of sinkable swamp muck there.

018a is the south pond- same in the north end, but almost 3 feet of really sticky mud in the south end.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
This space for rent- advertise your product or service here!

nachtjaeger

Re: couple of bog shots

Postby nachtjaeger » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:35 am

This shows the south pond better.

Edit: added a shot of the "bamboo" forest- actually an invasive plant called Japanese Knotgrass (and some more colorful terms.) Darn stuff thinks Roundup is fertilizer, and even gasoline won't kill it. Can regenerate from a tiny fragment of root.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bart1997

Postby bart1997 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:04 am

Last edited by bart1997 on Sat May 09, 2015 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

nachtjaeger

Postby nachtjaeger » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:20 pm

November 1-April 1 is considered "winter" here in upstate NY. :( October can be nice, but the bugs don't really die off until the first killing frost, so. . .

bart1997 wrote:That layer of thick vegetation and the millions of insects living in it is the reason why i don't visit my spots in summer. How do these spots do look like, from lets say october to march?
-> When you say there is a layer of several feet of snow then, i will feel both sorry for my inappropiate comment and relieved that the winters over here are not that cold in general.

Boggy Man

Postby Boggy Man » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:11 am

nachtjaeger wrote:This shows the south pond better.

Edit: added a shot of the "bamboo" forest- actually an invasive plant called Japanese Knotgrass (and some more colorful terms.) Darn stuff thinks Roundup is fertilizer, and even gasoline won't kill it. Can regenerate from a tiny fragment of root.

Here in the North Okanagan valley of BC, while biking through the town of Coldstream on my way to my sinking locations in the mountains, I saw a clump of it growing beside a driveway many years ago. It was pushing shoots up through the asphalt of the driveway! I seem to remember seeing it gone several years later. Guess it was more trouble than it was worth. On the west coast, it grows rather prolifically and is considered a weed.
I sink, therefore I WAM!!!!

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

Nessie
Producer

Postby Nessie » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:59 am

I thought my bogs were pretty well-covered with vegetation. You got me beat, though. In the shots I've taken of my bogs, there is at least some bare mud showing...I always have a visible clearing in the cattails and/or marsh grass.

So be careful. If you ever can't get out, nobody will ever figure out where you are.

Nessie

nachtjaeger

Postby nachtjaeger » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:46 am

My Lady Wife knows where to look for me. She grew up in those woods.

Nessie wrote:I thought my bogs were pretty well-covered with vegetation. You got me beat, though. In the shots I've taken of my bogs, there is at least some bare mud showing...I always have a visible clearing in the cattails and/or marsh grass.

So be careful. If you ever can't get out, nobody will ever figure out where you are.

Nessie

bart1997

Postby bart1997 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:23 am

Last edited by bart1997 on Sat May 09, 2015 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

nachtjaeger

Postby nachtjaeger » Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:41 pm

Funny you should both mention that. I did manage to get a little bit stuck in that bog once. :oops:

I wanted to go in as deep as possible, so I went in knees-first- off a log- into a spot I had already sunk in. Not the brightest idea I ever had. The mud was so thick I couldn't shift my weight to get my feet under me, and I was in up to my chest. :shock: And my knees hadn't quite hit the bottom. . .
Gotta tell you, I got the full-bore "stuck and sinking" adrenalin rush. Took me some serious muscle power to lift myself out of that bog- if that log hadn't been there, I might have been in a bit of a pickle. But once I was out, I thought "Damn, that was a rush!" 8-)

mudman4

Re: couple of bog shots (from General Discussion)

Postby mudman4 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:24 pm

I would enjoy seeing pictures of the bog in action! I can't really see the bog at all from those pics. :(
Where's the mud at?

Return to “Photos”