Quicksand experience wearing chest waders

Pictures that you took and want to share.
maria

Quicksand experience wearing chest waders

Postby maria » Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:14 am

Thought a few people might like this pic.
SC12.JPG

There is a huge area of genuine quicksand and quickmud (I think the two are different) - someone once said that if you come out clean, then it's quicksand :lol:

This is a shot of the aftermath of sinking through a layer of quicksand about 2 feet deep and then getting into quickmud deeper down. It was quite an experience, and the chest waders made it exceptionally hard work to escape :o
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lonesinker

Re: Quicksand experience wearing chest waders

Postby lonesinker » Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:02 pm

Maria..nice pic of the aftermath but I prefer you being in the pit scrambling lol. You must have a lot of strenght getting in and out of that stuff quite a work out but have you ever been in a situation where you almost didn,t get out? pretty scary. It makes a person wonder how far would you go before a rescue is needed

bogbud

Postby bogbud » Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:11 pm

Superb photo, Maria!
Is this the old quarry of yours or did you find a new one?

Those mud-caked waders must weigh a ton, i hope you did not flood them. Or did you? :shock:
I'm already chindeep in this mudbog and every desperate attempt to move my stuck legs only drives me deeper in. The thick mud slowly swamps my waders and my arms have nothing to hold onto.
I'm feeling home.

maria

Postby maria » Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:31 am

bogbud wrote:Superb photo, Maria!
Is this the old quarry of yours or did you find a new one?

Those mud-caked waders must weigh a ton, i hope you did not flood them. Or did you? :shock:

No I didn't flood them but certainly became a bit lodged in some thick stuff deep down. They did weight a ton and I had to walk quickly for more than ten minutes to find some water and clean up. I was totally exhausted afterwards!

It's the quarry that is being filled in, sadly :cry:

maria

Postby maria » Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:37 am

lonesinker wrote:Maria..nice pic of the aftermath but I prefer you being in the pit scrambling lol. You must have a lot of strenght getting in and out of that stuff quite a work out but have you ever been in a situation where you almost didn,t get out? pretty scary. It makes a person wonder how far would you go before a rescue is needed

I took some video, but it was not very good - I didn't spend enough time thinking about it as I was kind of sinking in an open place.

Of all the places I have sunk, this would probably be one of the most "dangerous" ones, and someone who didn't know what they were doing would be shouting for help as soon as they felt the ground soften and buckle under them - because once that happens, there's only way, and that's down!

There's a lot of technique involved in getting yourself out, and every bog, pit of quicksand or patch of quickmud has different thicknesses and suction, as well as holding power. Once fine sand locks in around you and it's mixed with clay you can get in trouble. I suppose it ultimately, it's the lure of the sink that can get you into real trouble.

Mynock

Postby Mynock » Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:49 pm

maria wrote:I suppose it ultimately, it's the lure of the sink that can get you into real trouble.

For some of us it's just not fun if the outcome isn't at least a little in doubt. :twisted: You're videos are pretty good, looks like you had fun.
"Know thyself, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."
--Sun Tzu

Andybarned

Postby Andybarned » Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:36 pm

maria wrote:
lonesinker wrote:Maria..nice pic of the aftermath but I prefer you being in the pit scrambling lol. You must have a lot of strenght getting in and out of that stuff quite a work out but have you ever been in a situation where you almost didn,t get out? pretty scary. It makes a person wonder how far would you go before a rescue is needed

I took some video, but it was not very good - I didn't spend enough time thinking about it as I was kind of sinking in an open place.

Of all the places I have sunk, this would probably be one of the most "dangerous" ones, and someone who didn't know what they were doing would be shouting for help as soon as they felt the ground soften and buckle under them - because once that happens, there's only way, and that's down!

There's a lot of technique involved in getting yourself out, and every bog, pit of quicksand or patch of quickmud has different thicknesses and suction, as well as holding power. Once fine sand locks in around you and it's mixed with clay you can get in trouble. I suppose it ultimately, it's the lure of the sink that can get you into real trouble.

Oh god yes! It’s the moment you start to leave and you realise the grip is tougher than you imagined and all it manages to do is pull you even deeper!

That’s the moment the fear comes in and the hormones rush!!

maria

Postby maria » Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:57 am

Andybarned wrote:
maria wrote:

Oh god yes! It’s the moment you start to leave and you realise the grip is tougher than you imagined and all it manages to do is pull you even deeper!

That’s the moment the fear comes in and the hormones rush!!

The trembling moment - and the what the hell have I got myself into feeling!

Sinkman61

Postby Sinkman61 » Sun Sep 03, 2023 3:51 am

Quicksand, quickmud, mud…they’re basically one and the same. Quicksand consists of any combination of sand, silt, clay, dirt, salt, air (yes, there’s dry quicksand), and of course, water. To that you can add in leaves, twigs, snails, weeds, algae, etc…. Some quicksand’s are far more dangerous than others. It’s extremely rare for anyone who has experience with quicksand to actually get themselves stuck. There’s a video on YouTube however, of some Arabic guy who was making a video on how to escape from quicksand…to end up becoming so trapped that he had to call for assistance from others. They appeared to be robbing him of his stuff after they got him out.

Return to “Photos”