My personal pit

Pictures that you took and want to share.
Old Humpback

My personal pit

Postby Old Humpback » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:09 pm

Living on a farm has its advantages! Back in an old beaver pond that the dam washed out, I found this little gem. I took the pic beginning of last year (2009). The roundish spot towards the middle top is from the previous year. Its about 5ft across and about 3ft-ish deep, but as you can see the reeds had started to encroach in it. These reeds have those lovely roots that that are almost as big as the reed and just as tough. So I moved to the left and down a bit right about where you can really see the reflection of the sky. It extends well to the left of the frame, at least another 10 feet before it shrinks down width-wise. Its about 5-6 ft wide and 3ft deep there as well. The whole area is sediment fill in from when the area was a pond years ago(about an acre in size), so I know there is plenty of mud in the area but this is the most secluded spot. The problem is that the swamp/ex pond back up to a small industrial park. I would explore some more of the area "in depth", but the possibilty of being seen kinda limits me. I doubt there is any really deep stuff out there, but the abilty to lay down and recline in my spot is pretty suffcient for me. Im sure by laying down I could completely submerge as well if i wanted to. Just by sitting cross legged style you can easily chest deep. The time of year dictates how much water is flowing in this little side strream, by the middle of the summer its down to a trickle or even stops and the mud gets very heavy and thick. Spring and fall, its pretty close to the way the pic shows it, so its a little more soupy, but still quite thick enough for a good feel.

Did you know its impossible to lick the outside of your own elbow?

bart1997

Postby bart1997 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:02 pm

Last edited by bart1997 on Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sandyandy

Re: My personal pit

Postby Sandyandy » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:11 pm

Love the look of that. :D

PM2K
Always Remembered

Postby PM2K » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:06 am

Nice! :D

I've been cultivating my current pit for the past six-seven years now, and I have it about perfect. Muddy and thick, so it is a real struggle to get out of, yet one can submerge and pop back up to one's heart's content.

It is at the mercy of the weather, of course... this year has been outstanding as it was drier than usual, but normally much of it is watery until July/Aug. The year before it was only good for a couple of times in Aug, then it flooded again.

Old Humpback

Postby Old Humpback » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:45 am

Thanks for the compliments! It can be plenty of work trying to expand upon,especially the deep factor. Once you hit "bottom" it is very hard sand and gravel. But the end results are more than satisfying. Like i said just being able to lay down in something like that is plenty of fun. You can submerge yourself if you really try, but you would need to be laying horizontal. I know thats not optimal for some of the quicksand "purists", but just the total relaxation in the world's most comfy bed/easy chair keeps this guy very happy. :)

Now if I could just get my father to drop off his backhoe here.... :twisted:

gamwam

Postby gamwam » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:08 am

sounds like great fun to me,.. horizontal sinks can be just as satisfying :)

any chance of some video or pics of you sinking? pleeeeeeese :)

gaz

Old Humpback

Postby Old Humpback » Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:27 am

gamwam wrote:sounds like great fun to me,.. horizontal sinks can be just as satisfying :)

any chance of some video or pics of you sinking? pleeeeeeese :)

gaz

To be quite honest, I'm not very photogenic, nor do I fit the interests of most of the members here, as I am a guy lol

gamwam

Postby gamwam » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:56 pm

oh go on!,.. its christmas!,.. im not photogenic either but i posted a clip on here :)

bart1997

Postby bart1997 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:05 pm

Last edited by bart1997 on Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spunkee311

Postby spunkee311 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:21 am

bart1997 wrote:
badboytyler wrote:hey bart. where do u get those pictures from?

Huh? That's Steffi and she is a true british professional. But please stay on topic!

lol ?

Return to “Photos”