Salton Sea Mudpits

Pictures that you took and want to share.
fetboy8

Salton Sea Mudpits

Postby fetboy8 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:36 am

Jut a couple of recent pics from my visit. Will also follow with a short vid of one of the volcanoes spouting. Looks like industry is creeping closer to natures wonders
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PM2K
Always Remembered

Re: Salton Sea Mudpits

Postby PM2K » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:22 am

Nice! Would make a good background too.. :D

fetboy8

Postby fetboy8 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:51 pm

Adding a pic for gamwam of my feet after dipping into the volcano
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gamwam

Postby gamwam » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:22 pm

looks great,.. i think i would agree,.. definatly needto dive in :)

stephenscott65

Postby stephenscott65 » Thu May 31, 2012 5:38 pm

The only problem i see with those are that the heated by volcanic activity(hot water), darn temping though:)

qslvr2000

Postby qslvr2000 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:03 pm

I've been to the Salton Sea mud pits several times and it's different every time. Some of the
mud is quite hot, some is just right and the last time I went the only usable mud was a little
too cold so I couldn't stay in as long as I would have liked. I had a hell of a time getting out.
The mud was too thick to push myself up from the edge like you would do in a swimming pool
and being effectively bottomless a couldn't find any purchase for my feet. I finally managed to
pull one leg out and swing it over the edge and the rest of my body followed.

The other problem is that there is no clean water to wash off in. I always bring two 5 gallon
containers of water to get cleaned up.

fetboy8

Postby fetboy8 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:43 am

The clean up is a problem there although directly across Schrimpf rd there was a pull off that I found you could clean up a little. Tried the drainage canal but just putting my foot in it was too cold back in April. Also found if you continue west on Schrimpf road( although it be almost a trail) about a mile or so down on the north side of the road is the lake which you can easily walk into and cleanup if needed. Me being in a rental car had to be careful about making a mess so couldn't jump in. Would of liked to jump into one of the volcanoes though as it was def warm and had the smoothest texture mud. You ever been there in November??? thinking what the weather might be at that time and possibly going back for another goround

jungleQSman

Postby jungleQSman » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:48 am

qslvr2000 wrote:I've been to the Salton Sea mud pits several times and it's different every time. Some of the
mud is quite hot, some is just right and the last time I went the only usable mud was a little
too cold so I couldn't stay in as long as I would have liked. I had a hell of a time getting out.
The mud was too thick to push myself up from the edge like you would do in a swimming pool
and being effectively bottomless a couldn't find any purchase for my feet. I finally managed to
pull one leg out and swing it over the edge and the rest of my body followed.

The other problem is that there is no clean water to wash off in. I always bring two 5 gallon
containers of water to get cleaned up.

would love to go outthere with some one who knows the area better... in San Diego here.. would love to find a sinking bud!

ndeep

Postby ndeep » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:33 pm

I've been plotting on Google Maps what appear to be the active mudpots. There are more than a few which have caught my attention. Especially the ones around the Wister Wildlife Preserve. There appears to be good cover/privacy around some of these. One feature which is really interesting is the shield type eruption up on the other side of 111 at Gillespie Road. (33°17.117′ -115°34.620′) I have driven down to check out a few of these. One was very well concealed but too watery, (+33° 14' 41.03", -115° 34' 44.38") and I find the ones down near the geothermal plants were...well, farting mud holes and the truck/car traffic was distracting. Cleaning up has been a concern considering the level of pollution in and near the lake. Qslvr2000 has a good suggestion of the 5gallon water containers.

jungleQSman

Postby jungleQSman » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:00 pm

ndeep wrote:I've been plotting on Google Maps what appear to be the active mudpots. There are more than a few which have caught my attention. Especially the ones around the Wister Wildlife Preserve. There appears to be good cover/privacy around some of these. One feature which is really interesting is the shield type eruption up on the other side of 111 at Gillespie Road. (33°17.117′ -115°34.620′) I have driven down to check out a few of these. One was very well concealed but too watery, (+33° 14' 41.03", -115° 34' 44.38") and I find the ones down near the geothermal plants were...well, farting mud holes and the truck/car traffic was distracting. Cleaning up has been a concern considering the level of pollution in and near the lake. Qslvr2000 has a good suggestion of the 5gallon water containers.

Hey sounds like you have had some good luck
the one time i went i brough a couple of those camping showers, plus the heat up in the sun.. warm shower for clean up!
the one i went into was watery but kinda nice... ;-)

Return to “Photos”