BM's Boggy Adventure & BG Pix! Updated 11/5/'23!

Pictures that you took and want to share.
Boggy Man

BM's Boggy Adventure & BG Pix! Updated 11/5/'23!

Postby Boggy Man » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:19 am

Starting this year, I have stopped making my detailed reports, because it takes me several nights of staying up until 2 am to get each one put together and posted. Instead, I am just focusing on selected photos I took, as well as sinking videos, all of which have piled up over the past few months (5 adventures so far). So, I am starting this new thread consisting of my photos, posting them at a resolution of 1600x1200. Due to space limitations, as I add new photos, I will be deleting older ones (2010/2011) as I go, so if you want to save any of the older ones, go back through my adventures and get them while you can.

Here is my first set of selected photos from my first adventure at my Harris Creek quicksilt slide area, taken on Monday, June 11'th, 2012:

Here is a view of the silty hillside that looks pretty innocent before I activate it and get sucked in, in my videos:

2012 1A Harris.JPG

Looking at the spot after my videoed quicksand dance, sink and escape:

2012 1B Harris.JPG

An overhead view of that spot:

2012 1C Harris.JPG

A closeup of the miniature silty "volcanoes" where water is rising up to the surface, bringing up the silt with it:

2012 1D Harris.JPG

Another view of the patch of soft quicksilt, after I drained away some of the water on top:

2012 1E Harris.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Boggy Man on Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:32 am, edited 52 times in total.
I sink, therefore I WAM!!!!

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

Boggy Man

Re: BM's Boggy Backgrounds! Updated Aug 11'th, 2012!

Postby Boggy Man » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:29 am

Here are the rest of the selected pictures from my first adventure on Monday, June 11'th, 2012:

A front view of the patch of sucking quicksilt after I had an off-camera sink in it:

2012 1F Harris.JPG

Top view of the gripping silty quicksand:

2012 1G Harris.JPG

A side view, with the fallen tree in the background:

2012 1H Harris.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Boggy Man on Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

mudmanic2011

Postby mudmanic2011 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:11 am

can I use these for fakes?

Boggy Man

Postby Boggy Man » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:55 am

mudmanic2011 wrote:can I use these for fakes?

That's one of the main reasons why I shot them! 8-)

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

Boggy Man

Re: BM's Boggy Backgrounds! Updated Aug 29'th, 2012!

Postby Boggy Man » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:23 am

On Thursday, June 21'st, I had my second outing of the season, once again at Harris Creek. I sunk back into the same spot as in the first outing, the quicksilt being thicker than last time. Due to its thickness, it locked up tighter when I tried to pull myself out, and therefore took much longer to escape. In fact, during at least one of my off-camera extractions, I had worked myself almost out, except for just a part of my foot, and I still couldn't pull it straight out! I had to agitate it more before it finally unwrapped/let go of the front part of my foot completely! I did some off-camera sinking before doing my video. I took a number of pix of the same spot from different angles before and/or after various sinks, so the surface looks different each time, even though it is from the same spot. Feel free to use these for fakes! :)

Here is a front view of the spot before I had my first sink of the day in it, off camera. Notice that there is a Tiger Swallowtail butterfly just taking flight in the foreground:

2012 2A Harris.JPG

Another shot of the patch of mire before I had my first sink of the day, taken from a different angle:

2012 2B Harris.JPG

A front view of the sucking quicksilt after my first sink:

2012 2C Harris.JPG

A closer view:

2012 2D Harris.JPG

A view from a higher angle:

2012 2E Harris.JPG
Last edited by Boggy Man on Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:41 am, edited 4 times in total.

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

Boggy Man

Re: BM's Boggy Backgrounds! Updated Aug 29'th, 2012!

Postby Boggy Man » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:28 am

My pix from Thursday, June 21'st continued:

An overhead view of the silty quicksand after my first sink:

2012 2F Harris.JPG

A front view again, after the videoed sink (second sink of the day) :

2012 2G Harris.JPG

A front view after my third and final (off-camera) sink of the day:

2012 2H Harris.JPG

A closer higher view of the patch of sucking silty quicksand:

2012 2I Harris.JPG

And finally, an almost overhead view from a different angle:

2012 2J Harris.JPG

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

Boggy Man

Re: BM's Boggy Backgrounds! Updated Sept 10'th, 2012!

Postby Boggy Man » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:25 am

On Tuesday, July 10'th, I had my third outing of the season. Because my dad and his friend went fishing at Aberdeen Lake, this allowed me to be dropped off in an area closer to one of my older sinking regions, which had lost viability over the years. It was a large meadow west of Grizzly Hill, with a main beaver pond there with a stream running through it (there were other minor ponds along the stream as well, but with limited sinking opportunities, if at all), as well as some other larger adjacent ponds to the west of it, including what I used to call my "mud lake pond", which hasn't been a mud lake in years, thanks to the work of beaver(s). :( I found that the water levels were once again all high, so nothing exposed in any of the ponds (the mud lake pond's surrounding grassy meadow was even flooded under a lot of water). :( But, along the part of the stream flowing north from the main pond in the large meadow, there was a stretch with low water levels, exposing various sized patches of peaty mud along the shoreline! :D I posted the link to the video of a sink there in this thread. Here are some background photos of the exposed mud in the area, which can be used for fakes:

Here is a muddy area which looks like one of the beaver's entries/exits to/from the main stream:

2012 3A Grizzly Hill Meadow.JPG

Another part of the muddy shoreline:

2012 3B Grizzly Hill Meadow.JPG

A view of the largest exposed patch of mud there that looked irresistible, and was then used in my video:

2012 3C Grizzly Hill Meadow.JPG

Another view looking upstream(southward) of that same area. There is a thicker spot where some animal had gone in, struggled, and exited, leaving a disturbed area in the mud:

2012 3D Grizzly Hill Meadow.JPG

A closer view of where the animal struggled in the mud:

2012 3E Grizzly Hill Meadow.JPG
Last edited by Boggy Man on Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

Boggy Man

Re: BM's Boggy Backgrounds! Updated Sept 10'th, 2012!

Postby Boggy Man » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:34 am

My pix from Tuesday, July 10'th continued:

Looking at that patch of mud from the upstream side, showing some of the muddy shoreline on the opposite side of the stream as well:

2012 3F Grizzly Hill Meadow.JPG

Another patch of peaty mud on the shoreline:

2012 3G Grizzly Hill Meadow.JPG

And yet another patch of exposed peaty mud:

2012 3H Grizzly Hill Meadow.JPG

And finally, the larger patch of mud where I shot my video at, after the video and all of my off-camera mudplay was finished:

2012 3I Grizzly Hill Meadow.JPG

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

Boggy Man

Re: BM's Boggy Backgrounds! Updated Sept 21'st, 2012!

Postby Boggy Man » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:02 am

On Thursday, July 19'th, I had my 4'th outing of the season, where I finally visited my Crescent Road pond for the first time this year! :) Because of the super wet June :x , I was concerned that the water levels would still be high enough to flood my bog, or at the very best, create a layer of water just underneath the surface, with a thin layer of mud over top, making it become extremely loose and watery on top when I struggled in it. :? When I arrived there, I was pleased to see that while the surrounding vegetation was still in water, the bog itself was exposed! :D So, I knew that there was a pocket of water hiding beneath that mud! But, when I jumped in for the video, I was delighted to see that the anticipated layer of water was not a few inches beneath the surface, but actually a few FEET beneath the surface, with lots of nice thick gooey stuff on top!!!!! :D So, no extreme slurpy sloppiness, but the deeper location of the layer of water did make it all the more "treacherous" :twisted: , since I had less support under my feet and around my legs, although my feet did sink down into more mud under the layer of water once I got in deeper! :) I didn't let the scene stretch out for very long because I didn't want to take any chances with water bubbling up to the surface around me before the :twisted: "end" :twisted: of the sink!

Anyways, here are the pix of the area that I took during that day:

Here is a muddy area with algae and duckweed in the water on the western shore of a much smaller, shallower pond south of the main Crescent Road pond, which was once united with the pond years ago. On the very edge, along a cattle path, there is a band of clay, mixed with some organic mud, that is a foot deep, give or take a few inches, with a rocky bottom, with more organic muck away from shore. Unfortunately, the clay part is shaded most of the day:

2012 4A Crescent.JPG

Here is a closer view of the disturbed muddy part closer to shore:

2012 4B Crescent.JPG

A view from the shaded side:

2012 4C Crescent.JPG

Algae and duckweed giving a nice swampy look on the northwestern part of that smaller pond, which has open water to the southeast (to the right of the photo):

2012 4D Crescent.JPG

The first photo of my Crescent Road pond sinking spot this year (sorry for it being so dark), showing animal tracks on top of it. But, don't be fooled! While it can support much lighter creatures, heavier ones would be in for a rather muddy shock if they set foot on it :twisted: :

2012 4E Crescent.JPG
Last edited by Boggy Man on Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

Boggy Man

Re: BM's Boggy Backgrounds! Updated Sept 21'st, 2012!

Postby Boggy Man » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:08 am

My pix from Thursday, July 19'th, continued:

Another view from another angle. It sure does look inviting, doesn't it?

2012 4F Crescent.JPG

The last pristine view, taken from yet another angle, clearly showing the animal tracks in the foreground, before I take the fateful step in front of the camera:

2012 4G Crescent.JPG

The patch of mire after I got sucked under and then escaped. I was happy that hardly any water came to the surface during my sink, although a little bit did come up during my escape:

2012 4H Crescent.JPG

After a bit of playing around in the mud off-camera, the water from the surrounding area flooded in over top of where the surface was disturbed:

2012 4I Crescent.JPG

I had some further playing in the mud off-camera, with some water coming up around me this time when I sunk down on the west side (part closer to the bottom of the photo). But, even more surface water from the surrounding area flowed back over top after I exited. This is how I left it at the end of the day:

2012 4J Crescent.JPG

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

Return to “Photos”