BM's Boggy Adventure & BG Pix! Updated 11/5/'23!

Pictures that you took and want to share.
Boggy Man

Re: BM's Boggy Adventure & BG Pix! Updated 9/20/'22!

Postby Boggy Man » Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:40 am

My September 2'nd, 2022 Adventure, Part 3 (Click Here For The Beginning With More Pix)!

I then headed to the north end of the pond, where the mud was exposed along where a seasonal stream entered the pond, and took some photos:

2022 09 02 2I Crescent.jpg

2022 09 02 2J Crescent.jpg

2022 09 02 2K Crescent.jpg

2022 09 02 2L Crescent.jpg

2022 09 02 2M Crescent.jpg

To Be Continued...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I sink, therefore I WAM!!!!

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

Boggy Man

Postby Boggy Man » Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:41 am

My September 2'nd, 2022 Adventure, Part 4 (Click Here For The Beginning With More Pix)!

A couple more photos of the exposed mud on the north side of the pond:

2022 09 02 2N Crescent.jpg

2022 09 02 2O Crescent.jpg

I was going to take a photo of the spot I had worked chest deep before, but it was currently shaded by a clump of grass, so I decided to wait until later on in the afternoon, once the shadow moved around. I then headed to the south end of the pond to take photos of mud exposed there, which likely had a layer of water underneath, given that the water levels hadn't dropped enough:

2022 09 02 2P Crescent.jpg

2022 09 02 2Q Crescent.jpg

2022 09 02 2R Crescent.jpg

To Be Continued...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

Boggy Man

Postby Boggy Man » Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:41 am

My September 2'nd, 2022 Adventure, Part 5 (Click Here For The Beginning With More Pix)!

One more photo of the mud on the south side of the pond:

2022 09 02 2S Crescent.jpg

I then returned to my things by my bog, and set the camera down. I was disappointed that the mud wasn't exposed that well, since I didn't want to have a submersion with water oozing on the surface, unless I was able to somehow mix the water into the mud first. :? Anyways, it looked like all of my plans for the day were changed. :( So now, I would have an off-camera sink first, without any submersion, and mush up the mud to try and even things out, and mix the water into the mud. So, I got undressed, and headed to the bog, which I never bothered removing the surrounding sticks from this time, preferring to save time that would have been spent taking it down and later on setting it back up.

I stood on the south side, facing north, in front of the exposed patch of bottomless ooze. Because I didn't want to splatter the mud all over by jumping in, I instead crouched down on the grass, carefully placing my feet on the surface in front of me, and then standing up, with the voracious quagmire sucking me down to my chest rather quickly, swamp gas farting and bubbling around me. It felt cool initially, but then warmed up around me. I struggled without breaking the surface with my arms, resting them on the surface skin. Water was oozing in from behind me and filling the space between my skin and the mud. I lingered there a bit and struggled, swamp gas farting and bubbling around me, enjoying the feel of muck that had swallowed much of my body. I then worked my way forward (northward), and then lingered there, more swamp gas farting and bubbling around me. I then finally started to mush the surface around me, with water moving over the mud, although I could still get it to rise above the water around me by lifting it up with my hands and arms. Each time I moved into a new position, the mud would feel cold, until I stood still, and it would warm up again. I moved around the bog, mushing and churning it, trying to mix the water into it, but while it seemed to be working, with larger areas getting exposed again, as soon as I moved away, it would get covered with water again. I was initially feeling a bit chilled, but once I was actively churning the mud, I started to feel a little bit more comfortable. However, eventually, I was feeling a bit too uncomfortably cool, and decided to exit the mire, dragging myself out onto the middle of the east side, where grass stuck out into the mire. I pushed the mud off me back into the bog, and as I moved away, I had to push the watery mud that had submerged some of the grass from my weight back into the bog, exposing the rising grass again. I was disappointed that I wasn't able to get any stimulation with my struggling. But, I did have some slight leg cramps, but that thankfully dissipated quickly.

I cleaned up around the edge of the pond, swishing colder water away to replace it with warmer, sediment-free water, and cleaning all the mud off my arms and front. But, the warm layer wasn't that warm yet this early in the day. I laid back on the floating vegetation to rub my back on "Nature's scrub-brush", before continuing with the cleanup, swishing water over my shoulders to rinse my back. I worked my way down my body, until I was all nice and clean, but still feeling chilled, although the sun was helping a lot in terms of warming me up. I air-dried off, grabbed my camera, and took a couple of photos of the disturbed, water-covered bog:

2022 09 02 2T Crescent.jpg

2022 09 02 2U Crescent.jpg

I headed back to the north end of the pond, glanced at the spot where I had worked the mud to my chest previously, and it was still partially shaded by the clump of grass. I returned to my things, got dressed, and decided to head to my bike to have lunch. So, I grabbed my bag of drinks (Powerade and Kool-Aid), returned to my bike, grabbed the bag of 2 Pizza Pops out of the saddlebag, and headed back to the sideroad, walking northward up it, towards the pond with the ring-bog. On the way, I stopped at the ruts that had creamy clay in them with cattle hoof prints, noticing how they had dried out a lot more, especially the west one. I continued on, and just south of the pond of the ring-bog, I saw cattle on the road in front of me, slowly heading my way, likely towards my pond! But, as I approached them, they turned around and ran off back up the road. 8-) Then I heard some rustling in the bushes near me, and saw one more bovine, so I backed off and let it run onto and up the road to meet up with its herd. I then continued on to the clearing northwest of the ring-bog pond, before finally turning around and heading back. I stopped briefly at the ruts with the mostly dry clay, and decided to snap a photo of it:

2022 09 02 2V Clay With Cattle Prints.jpg

To Be Continued...

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

Boggy Man

Postby Boggy Man » Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:42 am

My September 2'nd, 2022 Adventure, Part 6 (Click Here For The Beginning With More Pix)!

I returned to my bike, put away my lunch bag in the saddlebag, and then, with my drinks, headed back to my things by my bog. I was feeling warmer, and decided to have a sink in the spot to the north of the pond. So, I got undressed, grabbed my camera in its case, and headed to that spot, taking a photo of it, with the grass shadow finally moving away:

2022 09 02 2W Crescent.jpg

I then put the camera back into its case, and hung the case on a alder branch on drier ground to the north. I then returned to the patch of ground on the west side of the clump of grass, and stepped in, facing north, sinking past my waist into mire that was very loose for the top foot to foot and a half, with a stiffer skin on the surface, but thicker stiffer, pastier stuff deeper down, loosened in that one spot from previous sinks there. I adjusted my position so that I was more centered in the hole I had worked previously, and worked my feet deeper and deeper down into the thick pasty stuff below, while resting my arms on top of the skin that quaked around me, sinking to my chest in mire that was farting swamp gas. I then struggled while slowly increasing the pressure of my arms on the surface, with it gradually giving way, and then finally sucking them under, as I plunged them down beneath the surface, more swamp gas farting out from the disturbance. I moved my arms around the looser layer of mire beneath the surface, and started to grab thicker stuff and mixing it into the thinner stuff on top, but mostly pulling all thick stuff I could reach close to my body to increase the thickness touching my skin above the stiffer stuff below, all the disturbances releasing some swamp gas. I mushed up the surface around me as well, releasing even more swamp farts. I picked out some small pieces of wood debris and tossed it away. Working my feet deeper down, I could feel what may have been some gravel, which would have been deposited by the seasonal stream ages ago. I continued to struggle, and move thicker stuff up against my body, enjoying the feel of it, until my stimulation finally exploded!

After that, I was ready to extract myself, working each foot up higher and higher through the thicker muck, until I was able to get high enough to exit the "hole", and make my way northward through the shallower soft mud, feet sinking into the stiffer stuff below, but finally getting onto the grass. I smoothed out the surface, and then headed to the east part of the north side of the pond, where I was able to clean myself off on more floating vegetation, cleaning my back by leaning back on "Nature's scrub-brush" and then splashing water over my back to rinse it off. I was concerned about leeches, because that side always seemed to have more of them, but I didn't see any at all. Once I had cleaned myself off, I headed back to my camera, took it out of its case, and snapped a photo of the spot I had sunk to my chest in, the disturbed spot now with just a little bit of water on top:

2022 09 02 2X Crescent.jpg

I then headed to the opposite (south) end, to the place with organic and clay mud on the northwest corner of a tinier pond to the south of the main pond, to see what it looked like. Part of it was shaded, and part of it was in the sun. So, I took a couple of photos:

2022 09 02 2Y Crescent.jpg

2022 09 02 2Z Crescent.jpg

One of the things I had thought of doing for over a year was to use a strong pole to try and bring up to the surface stiffer mud from deeper down in my bog, which could then be mixed with the water to help eliminate it, and perhaps get stuff exposed finally! :D I noticed that there was a pole that looked perfect laying diagonally in the bushes behind (west of) the clay mud. I wasn't completely certain about using it, so I first headed back to my things by my bog, and set my camera in its case down. Then, after just some quick momentary glances around, I decided that that stick could be my best option. So, I headed back to the clay mud and lifted the stick which had its upper branches wedged between other bushes, and managed to snap off the top, leaving me with a nice straight pole that was perhaps around 5 feet long. I headed back with it, removing bits of bark that were still stuck to it, continuing to scrape the rest of the bark off of it with my finger/thumbnails, sitting down by my things. I didn't want any wood coming off the stick into my bog, since there was enough debris in there anyways. Once the pole was totally clean of bark, and I had made certain there was nothing that would break off of it and it felt sturdy enough (felt a little uncertain about the apparent softness of the wood, which I could dig into with my finger/thumbnail), I was ready to begin! :)

So, I headed back to my bog, and with the pole in hand, and standing on the west side, I pushed the wide end of the pole down as far as it could easily go, and then lifted it back up, pushing the mud stuck to the pole back into the bog. It was only the last several inches to a foot that had the really thick stuff stuck to it. I repeated the process on the west side, before moving to the south side and repeating it. However, I found that mud was splattering on my upper body, and at one point, I accidentally touched the front of my head and hair with the muddy pole! :x So much for keeping my upper body clean! But, at least I still didn't have any clothes on! 8-) I worked my way around to the east side, but as I got to the north side, the sun was reflecting off the water so much, that it was bothering my eyes! :x At that point, I decided it was time to wade into the bog and do the rest of it from there, so that I wouldn't have to face the sun reflecting off the water! So, I got in, and proceeded to push the pole down, and working it back up, pushing the mud off, with the bottom of the pole containing the thick stuff. I then began to mix the mud I brought up with the water on top, and it seemed as though the mud would always disappear into the water. I also mushed up the mud I had earlier on brought up to the surface from the sides as well. Lots of swamp gas was bubbling up around me.

I noticed that finally, the mud wasn't feeling as cold as it was earlier! :D It felt more comfortable! :D The uninterrupted sunshine made all the difference in the world! :D Too back it took so long to get to this point, but it was getting late in the season!

I continued to bring up more mud with the stick, but it was only a little bit at a time, and a very long, slow process. If it wasn't for my knee sensitivity, I would have been lifting the thick stuff up with my feet, like I used to do years ago, both here and at my Edwin Lakes area pond (believe it was called Sinclair Lake). Pushing the stick down into the thicker stuff was hard, but I was hardly sinking when I lifted it up, as long as I stood still. The thick stuff below seemingly supported my weight, even with the added pressure from lifting the stick up. However, just pumping my feet, and the thick stuff under my feet would shift or quake, and I would sink deeper down. Moving forward would allow me to rise back up again. All of the work seemed to be having some effect, because I would see more patches of mud staying above the water! :D But, it seemed as though it would sink back down when I went to the other side. Part of the mud was now getting shaded by the trees from the sun getting low, but things still felt fairly warm. I tried struggling from time to time, but no stimulation. While working on the north side, I had to keep an eye on a small frog that was hanging around there. I wanted to make certain it stayed safe while I went about my mucky work. I eventually lost sight of it. There had been no sign of the larger frog that was there last time, thinking perhaps it moved on to a different place. :?

Finally, I decided that it was time to call it quits, because I was finally starting to feel a bit on the cool side. Because the east side seemed to have the most water, I chose to exit there, since my exiting always dragged the most mud up at my chosen exit point. So, with my pole laying in the grass on the west side, I waded through the bottomless mire from the west side towards the east side (mud was soft enough to make walking motions), only to be around just halfway across, when the resistance of the mud against my movements resulted in leg cramps! :x I grabbed onto the grass on the east side to pull myself over there, before working myself out on the northeast side, trying to avoid getting too much mud on the surrounding grass where I exited.

I headed back to the water to clean up, this time having to clean my head as well, since it was splattered and slightly smeared in the hair with mud, cleaning myself off as if I had a submergence sink, which I really wished that I could have done, but I don't really enjoy sinking in mud with water on top! I was really happy to see that the water had warmed up nicely! :D Immersing my face and hair wasn't as uncomfortable as I thought it was going to be, and without swim goggles and swim cap to cover my eyes and hair! :D All that bright, uninterrupted sunshine worked its magic! :D I cleaned my back with the floating vegetation (Nature's scrub-brush), and rinsed it with water, and cleaned the rest of my body off. I air-dried, grabbed my camera, and took a photo of the bog after the work I had done:

2022 09 02 2ZA Crescent.jpg

To Be Concluded...

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

Boggy Man

Postby Boggy Man » Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:43 am

My September 2'nd, 2022 Adventure, Part 7, The Conclusion (Click Here For The Beginning With More Pix)!

I still had time to spare, and I *REALLY* wanted my one last stimulating mud fix! Thanks to the mud, air and water finally feeling warmer (took all day to get to this point), I didn't get very chilled this time, and recovered rather quickly. :) So, I headed south to the patch of shaded shallow clay on the northwest corner of the tiny pond there, stopping along the way at the exposed mud on the south side of the main pond, to probe it with my foot. In the first spot to my left, I noticed that there was a layer of mud over top of a thin vegetative layer, that was floating on a layer of water, which would have had thicker mud further below. I then probed another spot to my right, and it was mud on top of very watery mud (or it was water that the top layer of mud mixed into when I disturbed it). So, just as I had suspected, the mud on top concealed a layer of water underneath. I then continued on to the clay spot, where I first cleared the mud of sticks, and was finally ready to have my final muddy struggle of the day! :D

I positioned myself roughly northward, and got on my hands and knees, far enough back so that a larger pole laying across the ground was far enough in front of me. I worked my knees down into the thick gooey clay by making pumping motions with them, and then also started working my lower legs down as well. I mushed up some of the water smartweed in front of me to expose and loosen the muck in front of me, and worked my hands down into the thick clay, leaning forward into the muck. As I struggled, the sucking clay completely swallowed my lower legs as well, which got deeper and deeper in its grip. I slowly worked my hands deeper and deeper into the clay as well, with it swallowing more and more of my arms. It was very pasty, but also had a granular texture, due to it containing tiny white sandgrain-sized clamshells, which were easily crushed. It was lighter beige in color, in contrast to the darker brown organic muck that was over top of it, and being mixed in. As I continued to struggle, I was also working my submerged feet further back under the mud, and working my hands and arms even deeper as well, my abdomen and chest pressing further and further into the sucking clay, which made some interesting sounds as I struggled. Finally, struggling with my arms and legs trapped in the sucking muck, the thick ooze rising around more and more of my front, imagining that I was slowly going to get completely sucked into it, my stimulation exploded, stronger than before! :D

After the tremendous release, it was time to work myself out. But, although I was able to work my arms and hands out quickly, getting my legs out was a long and slow process, because it was so thick, they were more horizontal below the knees, and I didn't want to put too much stress on my knees. But, my struggles to free myself kept resulting in air getting trapped underneath me, which resulted in the thick clay making really huge belching farts! :shock: They were sounds that I just loved hearing a bog make, and the way my body was positioned allowed for me to trap lots of air for it to belch out! :mrgreen: I did that several times, and continued to slowly pull one foot and then the other slightly horizontally/diagonally through the mud, going from one to the other, slowly working myself out of the grip of the sucking clay. It was a shame that it was only a foot to a foot and a half deep, because I would have loved to have had a bottomless pit of that (actually, I had some places southwest of Kamloops that did have stuff like that which was deeper)! I finally managed to completely extract myself, and smoothed out the surface.

I headed through and around the bushes to the south side of the tiny pond, where I cleaned myself off easily, since my back was nice and clean. I then made my way back around to the west side again, trying to decide whether to traverse part of a rockslide to get around the mud, or to just go through it. I chose to go through the mud, but off to the organic side closer to the tiny pond, where I didn't get too much muddier. I then cleaned my legs off by the tiny pond there, and then headed back to my things.

As I started my way back, I suddenly realized that something was off! I had at first thought that the sun was lower and behind the trees already, since things seemed to be very shaded. But when I looked up, the sun wasn't behind the trees, but was still above them, but now just a pink disk in a greyish-reddish-brown sky! :shock: The previously clear blue skies had become overcast with a smoke plume that seemed to have materialized from out of nowhere! :shock: I hoped that there wasn't a new forest fire in our area! :?

I got back to my things, grabbed my camera, and returned to the mud I had just struggled horizontally in, and took a photo of it:

2022 09 02 2ZB Crescent.jpg

I then returned to my things, and set my camera down. I grabbed the stick I had used for bringing up the thicker mud from deeper down in my bog, which was laying on the west side of the bog, and I swapped it with a smaller stick used as part of the "cage", which I then moved to another part. I was glad I never removed the sticks, because that saved me a lot of time replacing them. 8-)

I got dressed, swapped memory cards in my camera, got my stuff together and nicely packed, and returned to my bike, where I loaded everything back in my saddlebag, in their appropriate places. I then walked my bike back to the sideroad, having to lift it over a couple fallen tree trunks along the way. As I headed down the sideroad around 5:30 pm, I stopped by the east pond, got out my camera, zoomed in on the pink sun, and took a photo of a sky that had been bright blue all day, until just within the past hour:

2022 09 02 2ZC Smoky Sun.jpg

Heading back, I once again wished I had regular glasses with me, instead of just sunglasses. But, unlike last time, when it clouded over, this time, all clouds were deflected far away by the strong ridge of high pressure, meaning it should have been clear blue skies from sunrise to sunset! So, I had to once again bike back with dark sunglasses under dark skies! :x I managed to get around cell range around 6:45 pm, rebooted the iPhone, called home, and then continued into the valley, occasionally looking back at the smoke plume that came up from the southwest, moving to the east, that looked like a storm cloud. The sun came out from behind it briefly, only to go behind another one further to the west. My dad picked me up, and drove me home.

I had such high hopes for the day, only to be met with major disappointment! :x I thought for certain that the mud would finally be exposed like it was in late July of last year, only to have it *STILL* mostly submerged! :x But, at least I did find the lack of clouds made things warmer, which allowed me to warm up faster. :) That day, we hit 33˚C, or 91˚F in Vernon, BC, while the hotspot in the province was Lytton, BC (the town burnt down last year during a record heatwave), which hit 39.6˚C, or 103˚F, quite a toasty start to September! :) I was glad that the smoke didn't move in until the end of the day, allowing the sun to get things heated up nicely during the day. 8-) It was from a forest fire that was originally in Washington State, south of Manning Park, which crossed over into BC, flaring up and sending a heavy smoke plume our way later that day. It also resulted in lots of thick smoke in the valley for a couple weeks afterwards, on and off, some days clear, some milky, depending on the wind direction (southwest winds were the worst for here).

I was glad the cattle stayed away from my area, and perhaps I helped keep them away during my lunch walk. While I was wishing for that clay in the ruts to be more extensive and not on a road, the clay on the northwest corner of the tiny pond south of the main pond was deep enough for a good horizontal struggle, which I have done there over the years. 8-) At least I finally tried out my plan for trying to bring up mud from deeper down in my bog with a pole, although I wished I could have done it with my feet, which would have been faster and more efficient, something I done years ago before my knees started having problems. I wondered about if I should have tried making a video of me splashing in a shallow puddle, only to find the bottom was softer and deeper :twisted: than expected, and then get swallowed by the mire! :? But then, I didn't really feel like submerging in mud with water on the surface. I prefer not having any water trying to seep in over my face when sinking. But, things had warmed up enough to make such a sink viable in the late afternoon, and I had to immerse and clean my head in the pond, without swim goggles or swim cap, meaning bare hair and eyes, to remove mud smears and splatters, anyways. :?

The clicking in my neck seemed a little bit worse (it also goes up and down with my work at home), and I was quite sore all over, especially my abdominal muscles from perhaps pushing the pole into the mud and pulling it out, and also part of my legs from cramps. But the sore feelings have subsided. 8-)

After thinking about it, I came to realize that the mud dropping below the water was not only due to its surface levelling out to make the flooded spots shallower and the exposed spots flooded, but also due to the fact that the mud contained pockets of swamp gas which had made it rise like a raw bread, cake or soufflé (maybe the comparison is a bit extreme, but you get the idea), and disturbing it released the swamp gas that was bloating it, resulting in it "deflating" enough for it to sink below the water level even more! That would explain why my bog had nicer thicker exposed stuff on my first (previous) visit, which then sunk below the water, and wasn't exposed as much for my second (this) visit, even though the water levels had dropped since the previous visit!

Since then, I have been anxiously looking for any opportunity to get back out there for a third adventure, to *FINALLY* make my first sinking video of the season, but the next peak in the heat was too soon (5 days after), with the bog likely still flooded, although I could have possibly successfully mixed away all the remaining water that would have been on top. :? But, by the time I felt ready to go, and felt that the mud would finally be exposed, the weather was either too cold, or too cloudy and smoky (all warmer windflow from the southwest brought in heavier smoke into the valleys), and hunting season started on Sept 10'th, making things riskier, although the weekdays are not as bad as weekends. :? I have gone on my adventures during hunting season in the past, avoiding weekends like the plague, and the growing bushes between the east pond by the sideroad and the west (my) pond have hidden my sinking area more nicely, although there were some slight glimpses of the meadow just to the north of my bog, and the top of the sticks I used for surrounding the bog. But, for someone moving down the sideroad, even slowly, it is more of a "blink and you miss it" type of thing. :?

But, even if I was able to find a day that is warm, given a couple of shots of colder air lately (and some rain that could have raised water levels), the cleanup water, especially lower down, will likely turn aching, stinging, "scrotum painfully shrinking to walnut-size" cold :shock: quickly, and will never recover this season, only expected to get a slightly warmer layer on top for a few inches with warm weather, and that won't be until the end of a warm sunny day. Our latest spell of colder weather was thanks to (post)Typhoon Merbok, amplifying the ridging/troughing pattern in the jet stream to allow a deep trough to move over us, bringing down cold air from the north! :x Now that the trough has moved further to the east (when it hits eastern Canada, it is forecast to suck Hurricane Fiona, which should be Category 2 by then, into the vicinity of Cape Breton Island in northern Nova Scotia), we are getting under a ridge of high pressure, with clear skies, but still not out of the cold air completely yet (some places in the valley are even getting frost :shock: , but thankfully not us)! But, we are going to have some temperature ups and downs over the next week, with one temperature peak on Thursday, Sept 22'nd (not free that day), and another on Tuesday, Sept 27'th (looks promising :) )! But, because of the cold weather in the meantime, if we do get back warm enough weather, with sunshine, and I do get a chance to go, I might not be able to have a submergence, because I don't think I could stand to subject my head to such cold water, and the mud would also develop a very cold layer close to the surface as well, but still relatively warmer deeper down. :? But, perhaps I can fill a pail and bucket I have there with water, and have it sit in the sun all day for my head cleanup, and use the frigid water for the lower parts of my body! :idea: So, I will play it by ear, and if I do find a warmer, cloud-free, smoke-free weekday that I am free (Tuesday, Sept 27'th?), it would be nice to enjoy one final adventure in a season that started frustratingly late due to a persistent La Niña. I just hope that if I can go, then on that day no one plans on using the entrance to my sideroad for doing target practice again. :?

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

Boggy Man

Re: BM's Boggy Adventure & BG Pix! Updated 8/23/'23!

Postby Boggy Man » Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:52 am

My August 4'th, 2023 Adventure, Part 1!

After spending much of the summer waging war on weeds, finally, after waiting since last September, I was ready to go on my first adventure of the season! :D This time, I felt very encouraged about this season, because unlike last year with its 3-year La Niña causing a late start to spring/summer, with high water levels right up into September, we finally have an El Niño! :D Because of that, we practically jumped into summer in May, with the hot dry weather persisting, causing us to miss out on the "June-uary" cold low rainy season! So, unlike last year when water levels stayed high until early July before starting to drop, this year, water levels started dropping in May, and kept on dropping! But, because of the lack of rain, our drought is getting worse, making forests tinder dry, bringing unprecedented forest fire activity here in BC, and other parts of Canada! :x In fact, there is now a forest fire burning in the Ross Moore Lake area, southwest of Kamloops, which is the area containing almost all of my favorite sinking spots east of Lac Le Jeune, which was also visited by MPV, who filmed a number of scenes at the location known as the "Easy Pond", because of its ease of access (for example: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=26751 viewtopic.php?f=7&t=25975 )! :x

I had been so busy on the produce farm, that I hadn't gone anywhere on my bike since last year, and planned on getting a tune-up. But, my brother needed my dad's truck, and when he was finished with it, it stayed at his farm for a couple of weeks. I wanted to go on my first bikeride of the season before the BC Day long weekend, which ran from August 5th to the 7'th, after which some unsettled weather with some moisture was forecast to move in for a couple days. I wanted to go on Thursday, August 3'rd, but had to move the date to Friday, August 4th, because the truck wasn't brought back until the 3'rd. There was now no time for a tuneup, so on Thursday, I added air to the tires, and made a test run of my bike on our street and driveway, finding that the rear derailleur was sticking, until I moved it by hand and it worked after that. The brakes worked nicely as well, so I was good to go for Friday, August 4'th! :D But, while the weather had been nice and clear for the past while, come Thursday evening, something seemed off, with the sun vanishing. :shock: Looking outside, what was once a clear view of the valley, was now a smoky haze! :x It happened so fast, coming from the Adam's Lake forest fires to the northwest. :x I kept my fingers crossed in hopes that it would clear out just as quickly as it moved in.

I got up around 5 am, and was disappointed that the air was still milky white from smoke! :x I just hoped that the smoke would be thinner up on the plateau. I had to do my watering rounds, because it got too dark before I was ready to do it the previous evening, since I lost the daylight tying on a top saddlebag again, because I had removed it in preparation for the tuneup that didn't happen. My dad and I left after 9 am, and up on the plateau, it was still a bit hazy. The road up top was graded, with no potholes, which my dad was happy about, since last year it had horrible potholes, and he was worried about his truck. On the way up, I was once again disgusted at the recent clearcuts by the road. :x

We turned up Crescent Road, which looked like it was hardly used, meaning not much logging activity there. :) But, there was a clearcut on the west side through a line of trees. I watched for the trail entrance to the hidden liquid mud and sticks pond to the east, but I didn't see the familiar entrance, although there was one area with some trees cut on the east side of the road, that looked like it was in that area. :? The road turned from north to west, and further down, my dad dropped me off at the usual grassy clearing on the south side of the road, which looked different, because the clearing was now extended southward in a narrow band into the hills (location for a new logging road perhaps?).

I offloaded my things and my bike, and tested out my bike first to make certain it was still functioning properly. The tires were still firm, and things were all right! :D He then left, and I finished loading my things on my bike, annoyed by a wasp or hornet that kept on buzzing around me, until I finally left that clearing. But so far, I was happy to see no sign of cattle, not even a cowpie, which made me hopeful that perhaps this year there wouldn't be that many, but then, there would typically be more as we got later into the season. :?

Before heading up my turnoff, I first headed further up Crescent Road to check out the status of two ponds on the south side of the road. The first one was full, with water up to the grass. The second one, further west, was just grass on the north (closer) end, while the south part was mostly hidden by bushes, but looked like it was either open water or mud. I wasn't going to investigate, because I had bigger fish to fry! ;)

I returned to the turnoff, and headed up it, only to find several cattle on the road as I reached the part going by the east side of the east pond! So, there were cattle in the area! :x They took off up the road as I got closer to them, and were gone. I noticed that I could just barely get a glimpse of the west side of the west pond, my area, through the bushes, which increasingly blocked most of the view more and more each year. :) It would only be a matter of time before no one could see my area from the sideroad at all! :) I reached the side trail that led to my dropoff point north of the pond, having to walk my bike over and around some fallen trees over the trail before I got to the easier part. I dropped my bike off on the north side of some coniferous trees, on the west side of the small clearing, got my things out of my saddlebag, and then decided to swap memory cards in my camera, deleting everything on my adventure memory card to start fresh, everything having been previously transferred to my computer last year.

I headed through the grassy trails through the alders to the pond to the south, taking a glimpse at the north end, and seeing mud exposed, which looked encouraging! :) The grass surrounding the pond was in tufts, with no water between, but the appearance was of grass that had been growing up through water for some time, with the lower sides of the tufts dead and bleached white. I decided to wait until later before taking any pictures of exposed mud on the north and west sides, because I wanted to head straight to the main attraction! ;)

When I finally reached my bog, surrounded by sticks, just as I had hoped, it was all exposed! :D There were some animal (bird?) tracks going back and forth across it, and it looked thicker in the west and middle parts. I set my bags of things down on the north side of some alders, my usual spot, got my camera out, and took my first photo of the caged-in patch of quagmire that was going to be sucking me into it!

2023 08 04 1A Crescent.jpg

I then put my camera back, removed my shoes, and then proceeded to pull out almost all of the sticks around the bog (accidentally breaking one into two), leaving a few shorter ones that extended further south into the meadow. I could smell the egg-like swamp gas while walking on top of the bouncy floating meadow surrounding my bog. Once all the sticks immediately surrounding the bog were removed and piled in the grass to the southwest of the bog, by the alders, I grabbed my camera again, and walking around the bog counterclockwise, took some more photos:

2023 08 04 1B Crescent.jpg

2023 08 04 1C Crescent.jpg

2023 08 04 1D Crescent.jpg

2023 08 04 1E Crescent.jpg

I then returned to my things with the camera, and began to experiment with it, trying to fix the problem of variations in brightness when different objects move into the frame. I kept taking my swim cap and moving it in front of the camera, seeing the grass turn darker when it was in view, and then turn brighter again when it was out of view. I tried turning off various automatic things, to no avail. But, it seemed like I found something that looked like it might have reduced the effect slightly, although it might have been my imagination. :? I set the camera to 16:9 so that I could get a view of the bog as it would appear in the movie for properly framing the location of my sink. I picked out a nice stick from my pile of sticks, and chose a spot on the south side to stick it into. I then had to reposition the stick to get it to be a bit closer to the animal tracks, since that was where I finally decided I was going to be fed to the bog on camera! :twisted: I screwed my camera onto my brand new Gorillapod, something I bought last year to replace the older broken one, but never had a chance to use it then. I then wrapped the knobby tentacles around the top of the stick, and with a bit of fiddling, I finally got it roughly in place! :) I was a bit concerned about the wind that seemed to be coming up all of a sudden out of the north, which could affect the audio. :? I was also a bit annoyed that the sky was hazy, which cut the strength of the sun down a little. The air was getting warm, but not as warm as I wanted it to be, although it was still early in the day.

I headed back to my things, stripped and changed into my junk shorts, and had to tie an orange plastic bale twine around it to hold it up, since the elastic was gone (I should try and run a string through the inside of those shorts, but there is never enough time). I put the swim cap on inside out, because it was plain fluorescent green that way, while the normal side had white mixed in with the green on top, which might affect the brightness/contrast worse. :? I usually had a haircut by this time, but I never yet, so I couldn't get all my hair completely inside, but at least I had most of it protected, as well as my ears. I put on my swim goggles to keep my eyes free of mud, and went back to my camera to make the final adjustments, and to start the filming, only to find that I couldn't see the screen properly. :x So, I had to go back, put on my sunglasses again, return to the camera, make the final adjustments to properly frame the spot I was going to plunge into, press the Record button, make certain it was recording, return to my things to swap my sunglasses with the swim goggles, and then head to the north side of the bog, in position, ready for action! :D

I was finally going to play out a scenario that I wanted to do on my first sink last year, but couldn't, due to my old Gorillapod having one of its legs completely broken off, and the other two partially broken off, making it unable to hold onto a stick! :x Once I had the off-camera sink back then, the mud went under the water for the rest of my season, or at least until Hunting Season! :x But now, I had a second chance, and couldn't wait to get started! :D

Standing on the edge of the floating sedge grass on the north side of the bog, facing south, I did a little bit of monologue, talking to myself (thinking out loud), which set up the scenario. But then, the north wind started gusting again, and I had to wait for it to die down! :x But, rather than start over, I just attributed the pause to indecision whether or not to cross the muddy area at the animal tracks. :? Finally, I took the fateful leap, the hungry quagmire farting as it gulped me down to my lower chest! :twisted: I struggled a little, slowly sinking deeper to my upper chest, before pushing my arms beneath the surface, and continuing to struggle, the quivering muck rising over my shoulders, and then to my chin and mouth. The mud was softer and looser on top, while deeper down, it was thicker and pastier, shifting under my feet when I moved them, and readily giving way when I put more weight on each foot! As the voracious mire continued to suck me down deeper into it, I had to tilt my head further and further back to keep my mouth free of the suffocating mud. But it was getting more and more difficult to do so, with me having to repeatedly spit out globs of tasteless creamy, gritty muck that was repeatedly getting sucked into my mouth with the air I was inhaling! I had to tilt my head so far back that the treacherous mire sucked over top of my goggles, claiming them, cutting off my view of the world, with only my nose and mouth able to get air, although I only breathed through my mouth, which was almost getting too difficult to do with the mire closing in and still invading my mouth, forcing me to keep spitting it out! I took one final breath, held it, and began to struggle vigorously, turning my face forward, the mire hungrily sucking me completely under, completely claiming me as its meal on camera! :twisted: I continued to struggle vigorously underneath the surface for a few more seconds, before becoming still. It felt great to be finally swallowed whole again by a voracious bog! :D Then, I exhaled some air, the mire passing the gas upwards, where it farted out at the surface above my head! I wanted to remain paused beneath the surface for as long as possible after that to make certain that there would be a good camera view of the still surface, post-bogfarts, but after expending that air from my lungs, my body was screaming for oxygen, and I couldn't stay under any longer! :shock:

So, finished with my first new dramatic sinking scene since 2021, I worked my feet up higher through the thicker stuff below, and then pushed my upper body back up, my head breaking the surface, coated in a thick layer of batterlike ooze, where I was finally able to fill my lungs with air! :o I paused at that level until I caught my breath, before working myself higher up to my upper chest. I then wiped the mud away from my head, noticing that my swim goggles weren't fitting over my eyes properly. I re-positioned them a few times, and continued to wipe mud away from my head, and then working my feet up higher through the thicker mud below, rising higher, and then wiping more mud off. I was a bit annoyed at the wind which kept coming up, making me feel a bit chilled! :x Once I was high enough, I was able to twist around and make my way to the floating grass on the north side of the bog, where I wiped the rest of the mud off my body into the bog (need to conserve it as much as possible).

Free of the grip of the hungry quagmire, I then headed over to the edge of the pond, where I cleaned my hands, and then returned to my camera on the south side of the bog and fumbled around to find the record button to stop the recording, something which was very difficult to see through my boggy goggles (boggles? :P ). I then turned the camera off, and returned to the pond to clean off, the water just starting to warm up, but still a bit cool lower down, with chilly pockets where water came out from underneath the floating vegetation. I cleaned my head and upper body off, including my swim goggles and swim cap, my hair nice and dry and clean underneath, except for the bottom where it had stuck out from the swim cap. I also rubbed my back on the floating mat of small rushes to take care of the scum left by the thick mud on my skin (nature's scrub brush), then splashing water over my back to rinse off the loose debris. I also removed my junk shorts and cleaned it and the string in the water, before hanging it and the goggles and swim cap on some alder branches to dry further on shore on the south side of the path between my things and my bog.

To Be Continued...
Last edited by Boggy Man on Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

Boggy Man

Postby Boggy Man » Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:53 am

My August 4'th, 2023 Adventure, Part 2 (Click Here For The Beginning With More Pix)!

I never cleaned my lower body at this time, because I was going to go back in for some more enjoyable sinking. But first, I removed the camera/Gorillapod from the stick, changed the photo settings back to the regular aspect ratio, and snapped some photos of the patch of mire with a disturbed surface that trailed back to the north side:

2023 08 04 1F Crescent.jpg

2023 08 04 1G Crescent.jpg

Then, I put the camera back with my things, removing it from the Gorillapod. Now, I was ready to enjoy some more sinking! :D I plunged into the west side of the bog, facing east, with the disturbed spot that had recently swallowed me in front of me. I did some struggling for a while, and also reached into the disturbed mire in front of me, feeling around for the person who got sucked under, not feeling anything but soft mud, "realizing" that the person was "lost forever"! :shock:

I was feeling a bit chilled since I had immersed myself under the bog and then in the pond. Wanting to have a "feel-good" struggle ;) , I decided to exit the batterlike, farting mire on the west side, and then crawl over top the undisturbed part with a slightly stiffer top layer on the west part of the south side, where the mud was nice and solar-heated on top. I struggled on my chest there a bit, before exiting and then crawling over to the undisturbed patch on the east side, where I struggled on the surface, which slowly sucked me into the warm, slightly firmer top layer, while farting swamp gas! I felt it sucking closed over my buttocks and lower back, and sucking down my chest, and rising up to my face, threatening to soon suffocate me, at which point my stimulation reached the exploding point! :mrgreen:

I then quickly felt my body temperature drop, meaning it was time to call it quits for this session. :( So, I worked myself out onto the floating grass on the east side, wiping mud off my body and into the bog. I then returned to the pond, where I cleaned myself out again. The bottom was all the same mud, but I could make my way though it and crawl on top of it, but yellow waterlily rhizomes made it easier to have stable footing (or sitting/kneeling). I cleaned myself off just like before, but this time all the way down to my feet, which had to be done in stages, with my lowest parts cleaned on the floating rushes, which sunk under the water from my weight and sprung back up after I moved away. All clean, I headed out further away from the pond, and air-dried in the hazy smoky sun. I also grabbed my camera and took a photo of the bog, even more disturbed than before:

2023 08 04 1H Crescent.jpg

All dried, I got dressed, and headed back to my bike where my lunch was, since it was early afternoon, taking my camera with me in its case. While sitting down, snacking on Deluxe and Three-Cheese Pizza Pops (like miniature calzones), I finally watched the video I had created to see if it turned out okay. I was delighted that I had framed the scene perfectly, and I had "hit the spot" exactly where I wanted to! :D While it looked perfect, just as I had feared, the wind that came up caused part of the audio to cut out in parts of the video. :x But, most of the video's audio was okay. After finishing the lunch, I was still feeling chilled, since I was eating in the shade so I could see the screen on the camera more easily. So, I went for a walk up the sideroad northward, to the pond with the ring bog. Along the way, I saw several grouse on the road, which took off when they saw me, although one or two were still nearby. So, I carefully took out my camera, swapped memory cards, and took a photo of one of the birds. I then tried to get closer to it, but it kept walking away, until I could only get a view of it on the move further away, camouflaged among the sticks:

2023 08 04 1I Grouse.jpg

2023 08 04 1J Camouflaged Grouse.jpg

I continued on, noticing that the ring-bog pond looked like it was quite full. I walked just past where the road turned east, a bend where there is the south entrance to an overgrown loop trail that I would take to get close to a bunch of meadows to the north, one of which has a shallow floating bog, something I wasn't interested in at the time. I turned around and headed back, still feeling a bit cool, wishing the smoky haze would go away so that the sun could warm me (and the ground/water/mud) up faster! :x With the filtered sun, not as much heat was radiating from the dry ground as it would have from clear skies free of haze. The north wind would come up once in a while before dying down, feeling slightly cool, but a warm cool, and it would also feel cooler in the shade of the trees, like morning-like conditions lasting further into the day. I wished I had been able to be in the area the previous day, since it was so clear, with the smoke not moving in until that evening!

To Be Continued...

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

Boggy Man

My August 4'th, 2023 Adventure, Part 3 (Click Here For The Beginning With More Pix)!

By the time I got back to the pond, I was finally starting to feel a bit warmer, and after swapping my memory cards again, I finally took a few photos of the exposed mud on the north side of the pond, as I headed back to my bog:

2023 08 04 1K Crescent.jpg

2023 08 04 1L Crescent.jpg

Wanting to get back into my bog right away, I decided to hold off on taking photos of the mud around the south side of the pond until later on. Back at my things, I put my camera away, stripped, applied some insect repellent to my upper body so I wouldn't be smacking things on my head and upper body with muddy hands, and was ready for my final sinking session! :D

I headed to the north side of the bog, where I then stepped into the mire on the edge, and proceeded to mush up all the vegetation that was invading the bog, right up to where the edge where the floating vegetation was solid. I then slowly made my way clockwise, mushing more and more of the invading weeds into the muck, pushing small clods under as well, and continuing onward, lots of swamp gas farting around me. It was a bit difficult moving through the mire, sometimes using my hands help move my legs, other times grabbing onto the more solid floating vegetation outside the bog, to pull myself forward to the next position, where the next batch of invading vegetation was mushed under. But, the strain of moving my legs through the muck was bringing on some leg cramps that came and went. :x Once I was at the southwest corner, the edge of the grass was letting out a lengthy hiss of swamp gas that went on and on, ending with a tiny drawn out squeaking sound! There must have been a lot of swamp gas built up under the floating vegetation there from digesting all the plant material! Finally, once I was back at the north side where I had started, I pulled myself out, wiping mud off my body into the bog, and was ready for the final (non-submersive) sink of the day! :D

Because it was so hard to move around the sides of the bog that I had to constantly pull on the grass on the edges, I imagined that getting caught in the middle of the treacherous, hungry, bottomless quagmire, with nothing solid within reach, would result in me becoming hopelessly stuck in there, unable to escape, while slowly getting sucked down deeper and deeper without stopping! :shock: So, with that in mind, from the north end, I "stumbled" into the middle of the bog, facing southwest, getting gulped down to my lower chest by the voracious, gooey morass! :twisted: I tried to struggle, but only sank deeper! I tried lifting one foot up through the thicker stuff below, only to have it remain in place, resulting in my other foot getting forced down deeper, the mire rising higher up my body! :shock: I tried it again, with my other foot, and the same thing happened, with me getting sucked down even deeper! :shock: I struggled, and lingered there, the batterlike surface occasionally farting swamp gas, slowly rising higher and higher up my body! Once the suffocating muck finally reached my mouth, I struggled some more, with my stimulation reaching the exploding point again! :mrgreen:

Now, I was done with the sinking for the day! 8-) I worked myself back up, pushing mud off my skin as I went. Once I was high enough, I was able to pull myself out on the west side, pushing the mud off my lower body and legs and feet, where the thickest mud stuck to, back into the bog. I then headed back to the pond to do my final cleanup, cleaning my front easily, and then my back easily by rubbing my back against the mat of tiny rushes that were on the edge of the floating meadow (nature's scrub brush), and then splashing water over it to wash away the looser debris. I cleaned my lower body sitting, then kneeling, then standing on the edge of the floating meadow, where water rushed in over top of it from my weight.

To Be Continued...

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

Boggy Man

My August 4'th, 2023 Adventure, Part 4 (Click Here For The Beginning With More Pix)!

Once I was nice and clean, while air-drying, I grabbed the camera, and took photos of the mushed-up bog from all 4 sides, and then one looking straight down at the surface from the south side:

2023 08 04 1M Crescent.jpg

2023 08 04 1N Crescent.jpg

2023 08 04 1O Crescent.jpg

2023 08 04 1P Crescent.jpg

2023 08 04 1Q Crescent.jpg

To Be Continued...
Last edited by Boggy Man on Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

Boggy Man

Postby Boggy Man » Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:54 am

My August 4'th, 2023 Adventure, Part 5 (Click Here For The Beginning With More Pix)!

I headed over to the south side, taking some photos of exposed mud on the south end of the pond, one of my legs accidentally slipping into the mud between the grass:

2023 08 04 1R Crescent.jpg

2023 08 04 1S Crescent.jpg

2023 08 04 1T Crescent.jpg

Seeing that shadows were creeping over the mud there, I started to wonder if I should have taken photos of the mud earlier. :? When I approached the tiny end pond on the far south end, I startled a duck, which frantically flapped its way across the surface of the water, to the south side. I noticed that the west shoreline of that tiny pond, where there was shallow clay with a rocky bottom, had more fallen trees on it. I took a photo of the open area in between the fallen logs:

2023 08 04 1U Crescent.jpg

I then headed back to my bog, taking a photo of a patch of mud in the grass near the south end of the pond on the way:

2023 08 04 1V Crescent.jpg

To Be Concluded...

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

Return to “Photos”