BM's Boggy Adventure & BG Pix! Updated 11/5/'23!

Pictures that you took and want to share.
Boggy Man

Re: BM's Boggy Adventure & BG Pix! Updated 9/3/'20!

Postby Boggy Man » Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:33 am

My August 18'th, 2020 Adventure, Part 4 (Click Here For The Beginning With More Pix)!

I continued onward, to the main meadow. In the wider east arm that contained the small boggy pond and quaking bog, I had some trouble recognizing the place, because it looked different from the way I remembered. No sign of remnants of a beaver lodge, and the tiny patches of open water seemed to be further north than I remembered. :? I set my things down in a high spot near a bush that I did recognize, removed my shoes and switched memory cards. With camera in hand, I walked counterclockwise around the area, taking photos of various areas, the mossy ground with cotton grass bouncing around me. I took photos of patches of mud, one of the mossy bog itself (featherbed), and of a long muddy trail made by a large animal (cow? moose?) on the north side, and then some more of patches of mud on the west side:

2020 08 18 2O Meadow North Of Crescent.jpg

2020 08 18 2P Meadow North Of Crescent.jpg

2020 08 18 2Q Meadow North Of Crescent.jpg

2020 08 18 2R Meadow North Of Crescent.jpg

2020 08 18 2S Meadow North Of Crescent.jpg

To Be Continued...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I sink, therefore I WAM!!!!

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

Boggy Man

Postby Boggy Man » Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:33 am

My August 18'th, 2020 Adventure, Part 5 (Click Here For The Beginning With More Pix)!

2020 08 18 2T Meadow North Of Crescent.jpg

2020 08 18 2U Meadow North Of Crescent.jpg

2020 08 18 2V Meadow North Of Crescent.jpg

I just couldn't resist testing out those muddy areas! :) So, I stripped, and just carefully probed the muddy areas with my leg(s), only to find that it was all floating on a layer of water! :( Where a large animal went through on the northeast side, it was just a layer of mud on top of floating vegetation, with a bit over a foot of water underneath, with a thicker stiffer muddy bottom. The other spots were also just floating on water. :( On the west side, where the bottom was exposed, the mud was stiff, and nothing really sinkable. :( Feeling disappointed, I cleaned off the mud from my lower body, and got dressed.

There was another meadow to the east I knew of that had some thick shallow mud of nice texture in the past, so I decided to head there. I headed to the east edge of the meadow I was in, and after picking my path, headed through some woods just south of a tiny seasonal stream to the other meadow. When I got there, I was disappointed to see that it was all grown over with grass. I suppose I could have pushed my feet through the soft ground in the grass to try and find the spot that was calf to knee deep, but didn't feel like it. When I approached the area, I spooked a bird from there, making me wonder if it had a nest in the area, which I wouldn't want to disturb, although it would have been a bit late in the season for nesting. :? I walked around the low spot on the east side, where a tiny seasonal pond would form, but was gone now and was all grass. I saw one place where the sedge grass, which has been substantially taller than normal this year, was flattened by a large animal laying down recently, and there were moose droppings on the southeastern side of the patch of flattened grass, meaning it was likely a moose. :?

Next, I decided to check out the shallow pond and streambed in the northern arm of the sprawling meadow. So, I returned to the larger sprawling meadow to the west again, walked westward along the north side of the east arm of the meadow, and then northward up its north arm. I then headed westward to the streambed, which was a damp and grassy low spot, and any mud there was very shallow. I continued heading northward along the west side of the empty streambed to where it entered the pond to the north. The pond had a solid bottom with some rocks, and perhaps a few inches of clay which the cattle would leave impressions in. I took some photos of muddy spots on the streambed before it entered the pond:

2020 08 18 2W Meadow North Of Crescent.jpg

2020 08 18 2X Meadow North Of Crescent.jpg

I headed back, returning to the dry rocky hill, and followed animal paths back westward, uncertain if I was taking the same path. I started following some blue ribbons there, before finding a band of marshy area, which I headed into, and then spotted a clearing to the south. I emerged into that clearing, which was the one with the overgrown road, finding that I was to the west of the stinging nettle entrance that I had avoided earlier by entering to the south of it. I returned to my bike, and returned to my area north of my pond, where I dropped off my bike again. I grabbed some things from my saddlebags, returned to my sinking area, and set my things in the shade of some alders to the west again.

To Be Concluded...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

Boggy Man

Postby Boggy Man » Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:34 am

My August 18'th, 2020 Adventure, Part 6, The Conclusion (Click Here For The Beginning With More Pix)!

I was all ready to get started with stirring up the mud again, but the sun went behind some clouds, cutting down on the heat a bit. :x It had also been windy during my hike, but things were calming down again. Finally, the sun began to peak out again, and with no clothes on, I slowly entered the watery mud on the north side, where I had previously exited, where mud my body dragged up earlier on exiting was closer to the surface of the water. I slowly settled down to my chest in the loose, water-covered mire that was thicker deeper down. Feeling uncomfortably cool in the water/mud mix, I was uncertain whether or not I could go through with this. But, once my body got used to the temperature, I was able to continue on, trying to loosen the mud with my hands as far down as I could reach. I wound up mostly standing in the middle of the water-covered bog, facing north, struggling and churning mud around me, with the mud barely coming to the surface in front of me, no matter how much I tried to bring it up. I lingered there for some time, loose watery mud from the butt up, and thicker, gooier stuff below that, swamp gas occasionally bubbling to the surface, including along my body from partways up. I finally started to move around more to mix the mud again, only to have worse cramps in the inside of one thigh start up! :x I relaxed to let it settle a bit, before finally deciding it was time to "get out while the gettin's good"! I didn't want to have any extremely painful leg cramp episodes, and the sooner I could get out, the shorter the cramps would hopefully last. I exited around the northwest side, my lower body once again dragging up more thick stuff from deeper down, which I pushed off my body into the bog. Perhaps repeated entrances/exits would have allowed me to bring up thick stuff from deeper down to mix into the water to eliminate it better, but the effort of pushing down on the grass to lift myself up would have likely re-activated my abdominal muscle pain, something I didn't want to re-visit. :? I have had enough re-activations of previous injuries plaguing me steadily over the years.

Plagued with the leg cramps, I managed to find the best position to clean off, by sitting on the floating grass that sunk below the water beneath my weight, with my legs straight forward, which allowed my cramps to subside. Trying to kneel or bend my legs made the cramps worse, but sitting with leg straight helped. I was happy to notice that the water I was cleaning up in was a bit warmer than before. :) I then had to stand up to clean myself lower down. After my cleanup, while I was in the process of air drying, I decided to save time by putting the sticks back in around the bog at the same time. Some had broke, so I had to replace them with new ones, tearing down/apart some dead alders in the area. I also added some more sticks for front of the fragile grassy area on the south side of the bog, which had holes in it that I took pictures of earlier. Once the sticks were in place, I took a picture of the flooded bog, once again surrounded by sticks:

2020 08 18 2Y Crescent.jpg

I got dressed, except for my shoes, and was almost ready to call it a day, when I decided at the last minute to check out the shaded, northwest corner of the tiny pond in the far south end again. When I got there, I noticed that the drop in water level had definitely exposed the shaded, shallow, algae-covered, organic and clay mud, with the fallen sticks on top from dead alders! :) I took a photo of it:

2020 08 18 2Z Crescent.jpg

I then carefully started picking out the alder branches, and tossing them onto the stinging nettles on the very rocky bouldery (site of a rockslide ages ago) shoreline, trying to take care not to splatter mud on my clothes. I proceeded to walk through the mire, finding it nice and thick, with the granular clay being stiffer. I just couldn't resist mushing it up with my feet, as I continued to remove the rest of the sticks and toss them aside into the stinging nettles. The clay was around 1 to 2 foot deep, with it making alluring sucking and slurping sounds as I mushed it up. It felt sooo enticing, that I just couldn't resist! :mrgreen: I stepped out, cleaned off my legs on the floating grass in the north side of the tiny pond, stripped, and set my clothes in a high dry spot among the alders, a bit concerned about how my shorts did have a little bit of mud splatter. I was all ready for my final, unexpected, bonus bit of mudplay! :D

I knelt down, facing north, and worked my knees into the stiff, but slightly loosened clay. I slowly moved my chest forward, struggling more and more horizontally, moving a large alder trunk forward out of the way. I worked my arms into the mud, pulling up thick granular clay (I think it had tiny sandgrain sized clamshells mixed through it), and mushing it up. I also pulled out a small rock and tossed it aside. As I struggled, my lower abdomen and lower chest were settling in more and more into the thick embrace of the sticky goo. It felt quite wonderful, but I wished that it had been deeper. I was a bit concerned about aggravating my hip pain and right abductor pain from my struggles in the stiffer thicker mud, not to mention knee pain if my knees bent too much in the position I was in. But, imagining that the thick muck was going to slowly and completely suck me down into it, I had nice stimulating ;) struggle, after which I carefully worked myself up out of the gripping stiff thick mud, taking care not to hurt my legs/knees/hips, and then smoothed it out.

I cleaned off in the floating grass on the north side of the small pond, a job which was substantially easier, since the mud was mostly on the front of my abdomen with nothing on my back. :) The water felt warmer in that smaller pond, which was nice. :) I quickly air dried, and took a photo of the disturbed area, the final photo of the day:

2020 08 18 2ZA Crescent.jpg

I got dressed, and was happy to see that the mud splattered on my shorts was drying, and brushed off nicely, with some barely noticeable dusty residue left. I returned to my main bog, got the rest of my things together, and headed back towards my bike, waiting to put my shoes on at a higher rocky area on shore further up the shoreline to the north to give my feet some time to dry. I returned to my bike, put all my things away in my saddlebags, and headed back down the sideroad towards Crescent Road. On my way, I noticed that as I got closer to the entrance, cowpies on the west side of the road, which I didn't see coming up the east side of the road, had tire tracks in them, definite proof that a vehicle did go partways up the road but not far. On Crescent Road, I took a look at those blue ribbons in the dropoff clearing once again, and noticed that there was a line of ribbons tied to trees heading through the forest to the south, likely marking the road. I returned to my bike and continued onward, heading for the valley, snacking on a couple of Sweet'n Salty nut bars while still in the mountains. As I coasted my way down into the valley, I suddenly discovered that something didn't seem right with my brakes. Then, I realized that my front brake was not working at all! :shock: But, at least my rear brake was working, and that was all I needed. So, it looked like I would have to fix that problem before my next bikeride. My brother picked me up in the valley just after sunset, expressing some concern about how late it was getting, and then by the time he got me home, it was getting dark. In fact, just as we were heading up my home street, he got a call from his wife that my mom had called her to find out about if I had been picked up! Later that evening, when getting up from the couch after watching tv, I was suddenly hit with intensely painful leg cramps on the inside of my right leg, which took a while to go away, and quite draining! :x Walking around didn't give relief, but in the end, sitting up on the floor with my legs straight in front of me was what made them go away, the same position I used at my Crescent Road pond during cleanup to relieve the cramps.

Overall, while the weather was excellent that day (temperature in Vernon hit 35.7˚C, or 96˚F but somewhat cooler in the higher elevations but still nice and warm), I was a bit disappointed in how long it was taking for the water levels to drop sufficiently to expose my mud. :( I just couldn't work the mud up to the water's surface. At this rate, it looks like I might have to wait until early September before it gets exposed, and hope that we get some decent weather then, with no heavy rains to cause any setbacks in the dropping water levels. :? Since I wasn't able to make any videos this time, at least I took a number of photos, many of which could be used as backgrounds! :)

I had been thinking that if only I could find a way to bring up thicker stuff from deeper down without having to use my legs and feet... :? Then, after a bit of brainstorming, I realized that if lifting my body up out of the mud drags mud up with me, then perhaps using a strong stick, something that isn't brittle and won't have pieces breaking off in the mud, perhaps uneven shaped, with side branches that are just stubs, that I can push down and pull up, could do the trick! And perhaps different sizes for different depths! It is something I could try out next year!
:idea:
:D
I just hope that it doesn't cause me to strain and re-injure my shoulders or abdominal muscles, or other parts of my body. :?

I thought it might be interesting to note that while my bog is not hazardous for me naked or with shorts on, it is the type of stuff that would be treacherous for someone with waders on, because of the thicker stuff down below to suck and hold boots deeper down, and the looser stuff on top to give nothing to push yourself up with! :shock:

Even though the blue ribbons marking the future site of a logging road heading south, and the associated logging activity that will go with it, is away from my area, I am a bit concerned about the logging traffic on the way up Crescent road to my area. :? Also, the presence of forestry workers in the general area concerns me, since I don't want anyone to see me turning northward up my sideroad, since I don't want people there to know where I am! Hopefully all the activity would take place during the fall/winter/spring months, when I am not accessing the area, and be gone by mid-summer when I start accessing the area again. :?

I hope for one more adventure this year, on September 9'th, the day before Hunting Season. But I wish that Hunting Season started later, because the 10'th would have been warmer, but I don't want to take too many chances. :?

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

DJlurker

Postby DJlurker » Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:27 pm

If your old injuries keep bothering you, as much as I hate to say it :x , it may be time for you to hang up your mudding clothes for good. :cry:

gamwam

Postby gamwam » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:46 pm

DJlurker wrote:If your old injuries keep bothering you, as much as I hate to say it :x , it may be time for you to hang up your mudding clothes for good. :cry:

god dont say that! hes the only true male sinker on here that likes to share his videos! - the only reason im on here is to wait a year for boggymans next release

Boggy Man

Postby Boggy Man » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:17 am

gamwam wrote:
DJlurker wrote:If your old injuries keep bothering you, as much as I hate to say it :x , it may be time for you to hang up your mudding clothes for good. :cry:

god dont say that! hes the only true male sinker on here that likes to share his videos! - the only reason im on here is to wait a year for boggymans next release

Don't forget about Raptor90, whose Youtube channel has new stuff from this summer, and it won't be long before I make a new addition (actually a two-part addition) to my dramatic videos thread! :) Stay tuned! 8-)

I don't intend on quitting my adventures anytime soon. 8-) While a few of my injuries have been related to some of my outings, the vast majority are related to the work I do around the farm, injuries that would heal if only I could take a break from the work for a few weeks, but I can't, and so the strained muscles/tendons keep getting sore/aching with some days better and other days worse. But, Arthrotec (anti-inflammatory diclofenac, with misoprostol to protect the stomach) helps keep the sensitivities down. 8-)

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

Boggy Man

Re: BM's Boggy Adventure & BG Pix! Updated 9/22/'20!

Postby Boggy Man » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:38 am

My September 9'th, 2020 Adventure, Part 1!

After my disappointing second outing, I wanted to wait as long as possible before going on my third adventure, in order to try and maximize the odds of the bog finally being free of water! :roll: I focused on the last day that I could safely go sinking, which was Wednesday, September 9'th, the day before Hunting Season! We had some nice hot weather in early September to help speed things drying out, but closer to my big day, we wound up with a brief chill from being brushed by the western edge of what could be considered a late summer version of an Arctic outbreak that happened east of the Rockies! :shock: But, temperatures were recovering after that, with the high for Wednesday forecast to be 28˚C (82˚F), which would be a bit cooler in the mountains (possibly peaking at 21˚C (70˚F) to 23˚C (73˚F) in the afternoon). I figured it was just marginal, but I had to take it. But over the next several days after that, the temperatures in the valley were to be around 30˚C (86˚F) to 31˚C (88˚F), which would translate to more comfortable conditions in the cooler higher elevations(23˚C (73˚F) to 25˚C (77˚F)), but I considered it too risky. :? Normally, I would avoid the first week of Hunting Season, when there could be a surge of people up there after waiting months for a chance to kill things (in this case grouse and deer starting Sept. 10'th)! :shock: Then, I figure it would taper off, and the risk drops a bit, but is still there. :? Then I may go on another outing or so, weather permitting. :? However, this is not a typical year, because of COVID-19 limiting peoples' travels, forcing people to do activities locally, which could make Hunting Season a bit more high risk! :shock: There is also a youth-only season for deer and grouse starting September 1'st, but it isn't that worrisome, and bow hunting for deer starting September 1'st, which is nowhere near as popular as rifles. :? The guide I refer to is found here, and my Crescent Road pond is in Management Unit 8-22 (some of my other further places are in 8-23 and 8-10). So, Wednesday, September 9'th was my final opportunity this year for sinking! :)

My brother picked me up shortly after 8:30 am, and once again bought me a Boston Cream at a Tim Horton's drive-thru. Heading into the mountains, we noticed that the road was in the process of being scraped to remove all potholes and washboards, likely to smooth the road in preparation for Hunting Season, making me a bit concerned about loose gravel heading back. :? Once again, he dropped me off in the grassy clearing on the south side of Crescent road that has the pink ribbon saying "Tolko Road", just down Crescent Road from my north turnoff. His truck's thermometer read 10˚C (50˚F), a bit too chilly yet for sinking. :? I tested my bike to make certain it wasn't damaged while bring transported on the rough road, happy to see that it was fine. :) The day before, I had to make an adjustment to my front brake to make it work again, which was fast and easy, making a simple adjustment with a hex key. 8-) My brother then took off, and I was on my own! 8-)

I loaded my things into my saddlebags, and headed to my sideroad, noticing that there were more plants on the road that were flattened by tires, but not too much further up. When I was passing by the east pond to the west of me, I once again got off my bike and walked it along the road, while carefully scrutinizing the breaks in the alders between the two ponds for any sign of my sinking spot visible from the road. :? At one point, I did barely notice one white stick that stood out, that looked like it was in the right location for my "caged in" bog, making me think that perhaps it isn't quite as hidden as I had hoped, yet. :? I still need the trees to grow more, before things are better hidden from the road. :? I biked to my turnoff, walked my bike down the path around fallen trees to beyond the blocked part of the turnoff sideroad from the main sideroad, and then through a grassy clearing, over to my usual dropoff spot, on the north side of conifers to the north of alders north of the pond. I gathered my things from my saddlebags into plastic bags, switched memory cards in my camera, and headed through one of the open grassy paths through the alders to the northwest section of the pond, careful not to hurt myself on any fallen logs hidden in the grass.

I noticed that the water was definitely lower, now exposing low muddy patches among the grass, which looked encouraging! :) I decided I would take photos later, since I was anxious to check out my sinking spot! :) When I reached my caged-in patch of gulping mire, I was disappointed to see that it was *STILL* mostly covered in water, with only margins of mud exposed around the sides! :x I set my things down in the shade of some alders, my usual spot, the grass all flattened in paths made by me from previous times there. I was so disappointed that after THREE WEEKS of waiting, with hardly any rain at all, and with periods of hot weather, it was *STILL* not water-free, for my last day of adventure this year! :x I took a photo of my caged-in bog, still mostly covered in water:

2020 09 09 3A Crescent.jpg

The thought had crossed my mind that perhaps this could be a good opportunity for me to try out my idea of using strong branches to bring up thicker mud from deeper down, to see if I could eliminate water on the surface more completely, but I wanted to have some final sinks of the season, and the loosening of the mire would take all day, and the cooler conditions this day would have also made things uncomfortable. :?

I had a lot of time to kill until it warmed up, and the sun already felt warm. So, I first removed all the sticks surrounding my bog, and laid them in a pile further in shore, southwest of the bog, in the same spot I did last time. The water in the grass was achy cold on my feet, which was a bit concerning, but I hoped that the sun would warm things up. Then, I took a series of photos of the open bog:

2020 09 09 3B Crescent.jpg

2020 09 09 3C Crescent.jpg

I was just making my way around the east side of the bog to get a good angle for that shot, when my left leg suddenly plunged through a weak spot in the grass, swallowing it to the bottom of my shorts! :x My right leg was also a bit muddy because of the kneeling position I was then in. :x I quickly pulled my left leg out, and then had to set my camera on a dry spot further on shore, before cleaning the mud off my legs. My shorts had some mud around the bottom of the legs as well, but I also used them for working on the farm, so they would not stand out, and they were also dark navy blue that didn't show the dirt, anyways. With my legs all clean again, I grabbed my camera, and resumed taking my photos:

2020 09 09 3D Crescent.jpg

2020 09 09 3E Crescent.jpg

To Be Continued...

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

Boggy Man

Postby Boggy Man » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:38 am

My September 9'th, 2020 Adventure, Part 2 (Click Here For The Beginning With More Pix)!

I then took some close-up photos of the exposed mud:

2020 09 09 3F Crescent.jpg

2020 09 09 3G Crescent.jpg

A frog jumped onto the mud just as I was about to take a photo:

2020 09 09 3H Crescent.jpg

It then hopped away. I then decided to continue taking photos of the exposed patches of mud in the grassy meadow along the western shoreline that I had passed by earlier, making my way northward:

2020 09 09 3I Crescent.jpg

2020 09 09 3J Crescent.jpg

To Be Continued...

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

Boggy Man

Postby Boggy Man » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:39 am

My September 9'th, 2020 Adventure, Part 3 (Click Here For The Beginning With More Pix)!

More photos of the exposed mud among the sedge grass on the western shore:

2020 09 09 3K Crescent.jpg

2020 09 09 3L Crescent.jpg

2020 09 09 3M Crescent.jpg

2020 09 09 3N Crescent.jpg

2020 09 09 3O Crescent.jpg

To Be Continued...

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

Boggy Man

Postby Boggy Man » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:39 am

My September 9'th, 2020 Adventure, Part 4 (Click Here For The Beginning With More Pix)!

More photos of the exposed mud among the sedge grass on the western shore:

2020 09 09 3P Crescent.jpg

2020 09 09 3Q Crescent.jpg

2020 09 09 3R Crescent.jpg

2020 09 09 3S Crescent.jpg

While taking photos, I noticed that there were fresh trails cut into the floating mats of vegetation, definite signs of beaver activity, making me a bit concerned about it augmenting the beaver dam on the far south end (south side of a tiny pond), which could raise water levels further in the future, impacting the sustainability of my groomed sinking spot! :?

I returned to my things, and set my camera back into its case. It was still feeling a bit cool, so I decided to head back to my bike to have lunch, sitting on a rock, snacking on a couple of "3-Cheese" Pizza Pops. After I finished, I started heading back to my bog, but first decided to have a better look at the north end of the pond, where the seasonal stream, which was not running at the time, passed through the meadow and entered the pond. I was amazed at what I saw! :shock: There were large and small patches of mud exposed everywhere, among the patches of grass! :shock: Or clumps of grass separated by mud, and a long stretch of mud exposed along were the stream would flow through the meadow to get to the north end of the pond! :shock: But, I remembered that there was a layer of gravel under the mud where the stream was, although further off to the sides, I remembered that it wasn't the case! :) Somewhere to the west of that stream was also my first sinking spot I had used for a number of years before my current one. I felt that some time this afternoon, I would *HAVE* to check the place out! :) I then returned to my things beside my sinking spot, to try and make preparations for my sink, the first of which was to be a personal sink on the north side of my bog, where the mud was the widest. I had thought about the eastward-extending tongue on the south side of the east side of my bog, but it was a bit narrow, and looked like it might be waterier in spots there. :?

But, deciding to hold off on my sinking just a tiny bit longer, until things warmed up a little bit more, I grabbed my camera and headed to the north end, where the mud was exposed, and started taking photos of some of the mud exposed there:

2020 09 09 3T Crescent.jpg

To Be Continued...

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

Return to “Photos”