BM's Boggy Adventure & BG Pix! Updated 11/5/'23!

Pictures that you took and want to share.
Boggy Man

Re: BM's Boggy Adventure & BG Pix! Updated 8/23/'23!

Postby Boggy Man » Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:52 am

My August 4'th, 2023 Adventure, Part 1!

After spending much of the summer waging war on weeds, finally, after waiting since last September, I was ready to go on my first adventure of the season! :D This time, I felt very encouraged about this season, because unlike last year with its 3-year La Niña causing a late start to spring/summer, with high water levels right up into September, we finally have an El Niño! :D Because of that, we practically jumped into summer in May, with the hot dry weather persisting, causing us to miss out on the "June-uary" cold low rainy season! So, unlike last year when water levels stayed high until early July before starting to drop, this year, water levels started dropping in May, and kept on dropping! But, because of the lack of rain, our drought is getting worse, making forests tinder dry, bringing unprecedented forest fire activity here in BC, and other parts of Canada! :x In fact, there is now a forest fire burning in the Ross Moore Lake area, southwest of Kamloops, which is the area containing almost all of my favorite sinking spots east of Lac Le Jeune, which was also visited by MPV, who filmed a number of scenes at the location known as the "Easy Pond", because of its ease of access (for example: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=26751 viewtopic.php?f=7&t=25975 )! :x

I had been so busy on the produce farm, that I hadn't gone anywhere on my bike since last year, and planned on getting a tune-up. But, my brother needed my dad's truck, and when he was finished with it, it stayed at his farm for a couple of weeks. I wanted to go on my first bikeride of the season before the BC Day long weekend, which ran from August 5th to the 7'th, after which some unsettled weather with some moisture was forecast to move in for a couple days. I wanted to go on Thursday, August 3'rd, but had to move the date to Friday, August 4th, because the truck wasn't brought back until the 3'rd. There was now no time for a tuneup, so on Thursday, I added air to the tires, and made a test run of my bike on our street and driveway, finding that the rear derailleur was sticking, until I moved it by hand and it worked after that. The brakes worked nicely as well, so I was good to go for Friday, August 4'th! :D But, while the weather had been nice and clear for the past while, come Thursday evening, something seemed off, with the sun vanishing. :shock: Looking outside, what was once a clear view of the valley, was now a smoky haze! :x It happened so fast, coming from the Adam's Lake forest fires to the northwest. :x I kept my fingers crossed in hopes that it would clear out just as quickly as it moved in.

I got up around 5 am, and was disappointed that the air was still milky white from smoke! :x I just hoped that the smoke would be thinner up on the plateau. I had to do my watering rounds, because it got too dark before I was ready to do it the previous evening, since I lost the daylight tying on a top saddlebag again, because I had removed it in preparation for the tuneup that didn't happen. My dad and I left after 9 am, and up on the plateau, it was still a bit hazy. The road up top was graded, with no potholes, which my dad was happy about, since last year it had horrible potholes, and he was worried about his truck. On the way up, I was once again disgusted at the recent clearcuts by the road. :x

We turned up Crescent Road, which looked like it was hardly used, meaning not much logging activity there. :) But, there was a clearcut on the west side through a line of trees. I watched for the trail entrance to the hidden liquid mud and sticks pond to the east, but I didn't see the familiar entrance, although there was one area with some trees cut on the east side of the road, that looked like it was in that area. :? The road turned from north to west, and further down, my dad dropped me off at the usual grassy clearing on the south side of the road, which looked different, because the clearing was now extended southward in a narrow band into the hills (location for a new logging road perhaps?).

I offloaded my things and my bike, and tested out my bike first to make certain it was still functioning properly. The tires were still firm, and things were all right! :D He then left, and I finished loading my things on my bike, annoyed by a wasp or hornet that kept on buzzing around me, until I finally left that clearing. But so far, I was happy to see no sign of cattle, not even a cowpie, which made me hopeful that perhaps this year there wouldn't be that many, but then, there would typically be more as we got later into the season. :?

Before heading up my turnoff, I first headed further up Crescent Road to check out the status of two ponds on the south side of the road. The first one was full, with water up to the grass. The second one, further west, was just grass on the north (closer) end, while the south part was mostly hidden by bushes, but looked like it was either open water or mud. I wasn't going to investigate, because I had bigger fish to fry! ;)

I returned to the turnoff, and headed up it, only to find several cattle on the road as I reached the part going by the east side of the east pond! So, there were cattle in the area! :x They took off up the road as I got closer to them, and were gone. I noticed that I could just barely get a glimpse of the west side of the west pond, my area, through the bushes, which increasingly blocked most of the view more and more each year. :) It would only be a matter of time before no one could see my area from the sideroad at all! :) I reached the side trail that led to my dropoff point north of the pond, having to walk my bike over and around some fallen trees over the trail before I got to the easier part. I dropped my bike off on the north side of some coniferous trees, on the west side of the small clearing, got my things out of my saddlebag, and then decided to swap memory cards in my camera, deleting everything on my adventure memory card to start fresh, everything having been previously transferred to my computer last year.

I headed through the grassy trails through the alders to the pond to the south, taking a glimpse at the north end, and seeing mud exposed, which looked encouraging! :) The grass surrounding the pond was in tufts, with no water between, but the appearance was of grass that had been growing up through water for some time, with the lower sides of the tufts dead and bleached white. I decided to wait until later before taking any pictures of exposed mud on the north and west sides, because I wanted to head straight to the main attraction! ;)

When I finally reached my bog, surrounded by sticks, just as I had hoped, it was all exposed! :D There were some animal (bird?) tracks going back and forth across it, and it looked thicker in the west and middle parts. I set my bags of things down on the north side of some alders, my usual spot, got my camera out, and took my first photo of the caged-in patch of quagmire that was going to be sucking me into it!

2023 08 04 1A Crescent.jpg

I then put my camera back, removed my shoes, and then proceeded to pull out almost all of the sticks around the bog (accidentally breaking one into two), leaving a few shorter ones that extended further south into the meadow. I could smell the egg-like swamp gas while walking on top of the bouncy floating meadow surrounding my bog. Once all the sticks immediately surrounding the bog were removed and piled in the grass to the southwest of the bog, by the alders, I grabbed my camera again, and walking around the bog counterclockwise, took some more photos:

2023 08 04 1B Crescent.jpg

2023 08 04 1C Crescent.jpg

2023 08 04 1D Crescent.jpg

2023 08 04 1E Crescent.jpg

I then returned to my things with the camera, and began to experiment with it, trying to fix the problem of variations in brightness when different objects move into the frame. I kept taking my swim cap and moving it in front of the camera, seeing the grass turn darker when it was in view, and then turn brighter again when it was out of view. I tried turning off various automatic things, to no avail. But, it seemed like I found something that looked like it might have reduced the effect slightly, although it might have been my imagination. :? I set the camera to 16:9 so that I could get a view of the bog as it would appear in the movie for properly framing the location of my sink. I picked out a nice stick from my pile of sticks, and chose a spot on the south side to stick it into. I then had to reposition the stick to get it to be a bit closer to the animal tracks, since that was where I finally decided I was going to be fed to the bog on camera! :twisted: I screwed my camera onto my brand new Gorillapod, something I bought last year to replace the older broken one, but never had a chance to use it then. I then wrapped the knobby tentacles around the top of the stick, and with a bit of fiddling, I finally got it roughly in place! :) I was a bit concerned about the wind that seemed to be coming up all of a sudden out of the north, which could affect the audio. :? I was also a bit annoyed that the sky was hazy, which cut the strength of the sun down a little. The air was getting warm, but not as warm as I wanted it to be, although it was still early in the day.

I headed back to my things, stripped and changed into my junk shorts, and had to tie an orange plastic bale twine around it to hold it up, since the elastic was gone (I should try and run a string through the inside of those shorts, but there is never enough time). I put the swim cap on inside out, because it was plain fluorescent green that way, while the normal side had white mixed in with the green on top, which might affect the brightness/contrast worse. :? I usually had a haircut by this time, but I never yet, so I couldn't get all my hair completely inside, but at least I had most of it protected, as well as my ears. I put on my swim goggles to keep my eyes free of mud, and went back to my camera to make the final adjustments, and to start the filming, only to find that I couldn't see the screen properly. :x So, I had to go back, put on my sunglasses again, return to the camera, make the final adjustments to properly frame the spot I was going to plunge into, press the Record button, make certain it was recording, return to my things to swap my sunglasses with the swim goggles, and then head to the north side of the bog, in position, ready for action! :D

I was finally going to play out a scenario that I wanted to do on my first sink last year, but couldn't, due to my old Gorillapod having one of its legs completely broken off, and the other two partially broken off, making it unable to hold onto a stick! :x Once I had the off-camera sink back then, the mud went under the water for the rest of my season, or at least until Hunting Season! :x But now, I had a second chance, and couldn't wait to get started! :D

Standing on the edge of the floating sedge grass on the north side of the bog, facing south, I did a little bit of monologue, talking to myself (thinking out loud), which set up the scenario. But then, the north wind started gusting again, and I had to wait for it to die down! :x But, rather than start over, I just attributed the pause to indecision whether or not to cross the muddy area at the animal tracks. :? Finally, I took the fateful leap, the hungry quagmire farting as it gulped me down to my lower chest! :twisted: I struggled a little, slowly sinking deeper to my upper chest, before pushing my arms beneath the surface, and continuing to struggle, the quivering muck rising over my shoulders, and then to my chin and mouth. The mud was softer and looser on top, while deeper down, it was thicker and pastier, shifting under my feet when I moved them, and readily giving way when I put more weight on each foot! As the voracious mire continued to suck me down deeper into it, I had to tilt my head further and further back to keep my mouth free of the suffocating mud. But it was getting more and more difficult to do so, with me having to repeatedly spit out globs of tasteless creamy, gritty muck that was repeatedly getting sucked into my mouth with the air I was inhaling! I had to tilt my head so far back that the treacherous mire sucked over top of my goggles, claiming them, cutting off my view of the world, with only my nose and mouth able to get air, although I only breathed through my mouth, which was almost getting too difficult to do with the mire closing in and still invading my mouth, forcing me to keep spitting it out! I took one final breath, held it, and began to struggle vigorously, turning my face forward, the mire hungrily sucking me completely under, completely claiming me as its meal on camera! :twisted: I continued to struggle vigorously underneath the surface for a few more seconds, before becoming still. It felt great to be finally swallowed whole again by a voracious bog! :D Then, I exhaled some air, the mire passing the gas upwards, where it farted out at the surface above my head! I wanted to remain paused beneath the surface for as long as possible after that to make certain that there would be a good camera view of the still surface, post-bogfarts, but after expending that air from my lungs, my body was screaming for oxygen, and I couldn't stay under any longer! :shock:

So, finished with my first new dramatic sinking scene since 2021, I worked my feet up higher through the thicker stuff below, and then pushed my upper body back up, my head breaking the surface, coated in a thick layer of batterlike ooze, where I was finally able to fill my lungs with air! :o I paused at that level until I caught my breath, before working myself higher up to my upper chest. I then wiped the mud away from my head, noticing that my swim goggles weren't fitting over my eyes properly. I re-positioned them a few times, and continued to wipe mud away from my head, and then working my feet up higher through the thicker mud below, rising higher, and then wiping more mud off. I was a bit annoyed at the wind which kept coming up, making me feel a bit chilled! :x Once I was high enough, I was able to twist around and make my way to the floating grass on the north side of the bog, where I wiped the rest of the mud off my body into the bog (need to conserve it as much as possible).

Free of the grip of the hungry quagmire, I then headed over to the edge of the pond, where I cleaned my hands, and then returned to my camera on the south side of the bog and fumbled around to find the record button to stop the recording, something which was very difficult to see through my boggy goggles (boggles? :P ). I then turned the camera off, and returned to the pond to clean off, the water just starting to warm up, but still a bit cool lower down, with chilly pockets where water came out from underneath the floating vegetation. I cleaned my head and upper body off, including my swim goggles and swim cap, my hair nice and dry and clean underneath, except for the bottom where it had stuck out from the swim cap. I also rubbed my back on the floating mat of small rushes to take care of the scum left by the thick mud on my skin (nature's scrub brush), then splashing water over my back to rinse off the loose debris. I also removed my junk shorts and cleaned it and the string in the water, before hanging it and the goggles and swim cap on some alder branches to dry further on shore on the south side of the path between my things and my bog.

To Be Continued...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Boggy Man on Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
I sink, therefore I WAM!!!!

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

Boggy Man

Postby Boggy Man » Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:53 am

My August 4'th, 2023 Adventure, Part 2 (Click Here For The Beginning With More Pix)!

I never cleaned my lower body at this time, because I was going to go back in for some more enjoyable sinking. But first, I removed the camera/Gorillapod from the stick, changed the photo settings back to the regular aspect ratio, and snapped some photos of the patch of mire with a disturbed surface that trailed back to the north side:

2023 08 04 1F Crescent.jpg

2023 08 04 1G Crescent.jpg

Then, I put the camera back with my things, removing it from the Gorillapod. Now, I was ready to enjoy some more sinking! :D I plunged into the west side of the bog, facing east, with the disturbed spot that had recently swallowed me in front of me. I did some struggling for a while, and also reached into the disturbed mire in front of me, feeling around for the person who got sucked under, not feeling anything but soft mud, "realizing" that the person was "lost forever"! :shock:

I was feeling a bit chilled since I had immersed myself under the bog and then in the pond. Wanting to have a "feel-good" struggle ;) , I decided to exit the batterlike, farting mire on the west side, and then crawl over top the undisturbed part with a slightly stiffer top layer on the west part of the south side, where the mud was nice and solar-heated on top. I struggled on my chest there a bit, before exiting and then crawling over to the undisturbed patch on the east side, where I struggled on the surface, which slowly sucked me into the warm, slightly firmer top layer, while farting swamp gas! I felt it sucking closed over my buttocks and lower back, and sucking down my chest, and rising up to my face, threatening to soon suffocate me, at which point my stimulation reached the exploding point! :mrgreen:

I then quickly felt my body temperature drop, meaning it was time to call it quits for this session. :( So, I worked myself out onto the floating grass on the east side, wiping mud off my body and into the bog. I then returned to the pond, where I cleaned myself out again. The bottom was all the same mud, but I could make my way though it and crawl on top of it, but yellow waterlily rhizomes made it easier to have stable footing (or sitting/kneeling). I cleaned myself off just like before, but this time all the way down to my feet, which had to be done in stages, with my lowest parts cleaned on the floating rushes, which sunk under the water from my weight and sprung back up after I moved away. All clean, I headed out further away from the pond, and air-dried in the hazy smoky sun. I also grabbed my camera and took a photo of the bog, even more disturbed than before:

2023 08 04 1H Crescent.jpg

All dried, I got dressed, and headed back to my bike where my lunch was, since it was early afternoon, taking my camera with me in its case. While sitting down, snacking on Deluxe and Three-Cheese Pizza Pops (like miniature calzones), I finally watched the video I had created to see if it turned out okay. I was delighted that I had framed the scene perfectly, and I had "hit the spot" exactly where I wanted to! :D While it looked perfect, just as I had feared, the wind that came up caused part of the audio to cut out in parts of the video. :x But, most of the video's audio was okay. After finishing the lunch, I was still feeling chilled, since I was eating in the shade so I could see the screen on the camera more easily. So, I went for a walk up the sideroad northward, to the pond with the ring bog. Along the way, I saw several grouse on the road, which took off when they saw me, although one or two were still nearby. So, I carefully took out my camera, swapped memory cards, and took a photo of one of the birds. I then tried to get closer to it, but it kept walking away, until I could only get a view of it on the move further away, camouflaged among the sticks:

2023 08 04 1I Grouse.jpg

2023 08 04 1J Camouflaged Grouse.jpg

I continued on, noticing that the ring-bog pond looked like it was quite full. I walked just past where the road turned east, a bend where there is the south entrance to an overgrown loop trail that I would take to get close to a bunch of meadows to the north, one of which has a shallow floating bog, something I wasn't interested in at the time. I turned around and headed back, still feeling a bit cool, wishing the smoky haze would go away so that the sun could warm me (and the ground/water/mud) up faster! :x With the filtered sun, not as much heat was radiating from the dry ground as it would have from clear skies free of haze. The north wind would come up once in a while before dying down, feeling slightly cool, but a warm cool, and it would also feel cooler in the shade of the trees, like morning-like conditions lasting further into the day. I wished I had been able to be in the area the previous day, since it was so clear, with the smoke not moving in until that evening!

To Be Continued...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

Boggy Man

My August 4'th, 2023 Adventure, Part 3 (Click Here For The Beginning With More Pix)!

By the time I got back to the pond, I was finally starting to feel a bit warmer, and after swapping my memory cards again, I finally took a few photos of the exposed mud on the north side of the pond, as I headed back to my bog:

2023 08 04 1K Crescent.jpg

2023 08 04 1L Crescent.jpg

Wanting to get back into my bog right away, I decided to hold off on taking photos of the mud around the south side of the pond until later on. Back at my things, I put my camera away, stripped, applied some insect repellent to my upper body so I wouldn't be smacking things on my head and upper body with muddy hands, and was ready for my final sinking session! :D

I headed to the north side of the bog, where I then stepped into the mire on the edge, and proceeded to mush up all the vegetation that was invading the bog, right up to where the edge where the floating vegetation was solid. I then slowly made my way clockwise, mushing more and more of the invading weeds into the muck, pushing small clods under as well, and continuing onward, lots of swamp gas farting around me. It was a bit difficult moving through the mire, sometimes using my hands help move my legs, other times grabbing onto the more solid floating vegetation outside the bog, to pull myself forward to the next position, where the next batch of invading vegetation was mushed under. But, the strain of moving my legs through the muck was bringing on some leg cramps that came and went. :x Once I was at the southwest corner, the edge of the grass was letting out a lengthy hiss of swamp gas that went on and on, ending with a tiny drawn out squeaking sound! There must have been a lot of swamp gas built up under the floating vegetation there from digesting all the plant material! Finally, once I was back at the north side where I had started, I pulled myself out, wiping mud off my body into the bog, and was ready for the final (non-submersive) sink of the day! :D

Because it was so hard to move around the sides of the bog that I had to constantly pull on the grass on the edges, I imagined that getting caught in the middle of the treacherous, hungry, bottomless quagmire, with nothing solid within reach, would result in me becoming hopelessly stuck in there, unable to escape, while slowly getting sucked down deeper and deeper without stopping! :shock: So, with that in mind, from the north end, I "stumbled" into the middle of the bog, facing southwest, getting gulped down to my lower chest by the voracious, gooey morass! :twisted: I tried to struggle, but only sank deeper! I tried lifting one foot up through the thicker stuff below, only to have it remain in place, resulting in my other foot getting forced down deeper, the mire rising higher up my body! :shock: I tried it again, with my other foot, and the same thing happened, with me getting sucked down even deeper! :shock: I struggled, and lingered there, the batterlike surface occasionally farting swamp gas, slowly rising higher and higher up my body! Once the suffocating muck finally reached my mouth, I struggled some more, with my stimulation reaching the exploding point again! :mrgreen:

Now, I was done with the sinking for the day! 8-) I worked myself back up, pushing mud off my skin as I went. Once I was high enough, I was able to pull myself out on the west side, pushing the mud off my lower body and legs and feet, where the thickest mud stuck to, back into the bog. I then headed back to the pond to do my final cleanup, cleaning my front easily, and then my back easily by rubbing my back against the mat of tiny rushes that were on the edge of the floating meadow (nature's scrub brush), and then splashing water over it to wash away the looser debris. I cleaned my lower body sitting, then kneeling, then standing on the edge of the floating meadow, where water rushed in over top of it from my weight.

To Be Continued...

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

Boggy Man

My August 4'th, 2023 Adventure, Part 4 (Click Here For The Beginning With More Pix)!

Once I was nice and clean, while air-drying, I grabbed the camera, and took photos of the mushed-up bog from all 4 sides, and then one looking straight down at the surface from the south side:

2023 08 04 1M Crescent.jpg

2023 08 04 1N Crescent.jpg

2023 08 04 1O Crescent.jpg

2023 08 04 1P Crescent.jpg

2023 08 04 1Q Crescent.jpg

To Be Continued...
Last edited by Boggy Man on Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

Boggy Man

Postby Boggy Man » Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:54 am

My August 4'th, 2023 Adventure, Part 5 (Click Here For The Beginning With More Pix)!

I headed over to the south side, taking some photos of exposed mud on the south end of the pond, one of my legs accidentally slipping into the mud between the grass:

2023 08 04 1R Crescent.jpg

2023 08 04 1S Crescent.jpg

2023 08 04 1T Crescent.jpg

Seeing that shadows were creeping over the mud there, I started to wonder if I should have taken photos of the mud earlier. :? When I approached the tiny end pond on the far south end, I startled a duck, which frantically flapped its way across the surface of the water, to the south side. I noticed that the west shoreline of that tiny pond, where there was shallow clay with a rocky bottom, had more fallen trees on it. I took a photo of the open area in between the fallen logs:

2023 08 04 1U Crescent.jpg

I then headed back to my bog, taking a photo of a patch of mud in the grass near the south end of the pond on the way:

2023 08 04 1V Crescent.jpg

To Be Concluded...

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

Boggy Man

Postby Boggy Man » Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:54 am

My August 4'th, 2023 Adventure, Part 6, The Conclusion (Click Here For The Beginning With More Pix)!

I cleaned off my muddy leg, and replaced the sticks around most of the bog (west, north and east), extending the west line slightly further southward as well. The south side would be too inaccessible to cattle, because the meadow is too unstable. I then took one final photo of my caged-in bog, some water puddling in some of the low spots:

2023 08 04 1W Crescent.jpg

I got my things together, put the Gorillapod, swim goggles and swim cap back into their original packages, swapped memory cards in my camera, and headed back to my bike, putting everything back away, and was on my way just shortly after 6 pm.

Heading back down Crescent Road, I verified that the tiny area on the east side of the road that had a few trees cut was indeed the location of the entrance to the trail to the hidden liquid mud and sticks pond. I hoped that the lake would remain hidden. :? I wanted to be as careful as I could not to jar or strain my neck, so I decided to carry the camera case with the strap over my right shoulder instead of my neck, as well as go at a slower speed on the dirt/gravel roads, since during the previous year, I went too fast, and wound up with my neck pain getting worse, even with the Thudbuster LT seat suspension! :x But, since the main road was graded on the plateau, it was all covered with loose gravel, making it very difficult to avoid sharp bumps, even at slower speeds. :x I noticed that the side of the road looked smoother, with fewer rocks, but it had loose, powdery silt, causing me to eventually spin out, and each time I tried to get going again, I would spin out, forcing me to get further back onto the gravelly road, and try and pick the spots that had the lowest concentration of small rocks. Once I got past the plateau, and was going downhill, the graded area ended, and it was smoother coasting all the way into the valley, trying to limit my speed to reduce the bumps that were there. When I got lower into the valley, the haze got worse, and I could smell the smoke again. :x I was in cell range just before 8 pm, and called home. I didn't get as far as I usually did before my dad picked me up, since I was going a bit slower on the pavement to take it easy on my knees, since this was the first time this year I was on my bike for longer than 5 minutes (I already mentioned that on the previous day I tested my bike out to see if it was working properly).

I was happy with the way the day turned out, since I had accomplished two major things - finally getting a particular dramatic sinking scene done that I had intended to do last year (videos now posted to YouTube and linked to and described in this posting), and pushing all the invading grasses/rushes/weeds under the mud to keep it open. However, I was annoyed at the haze from the forest fire smoke, which cut the sun's strength down enough that the water, mud and ground wasn't heating up as much! :x It took me longer to warm up, since I noticed how the heat radiating from the ground wasn't as intense as usual! :x I did suffer a few leg cramps, but fortunately, they went away. I also didn't see any leeches go after me, although some tiny things on my skin might have possibly been some baby ones. :?

After such a disappointing season last year (2022), I was really happy with how nicely exposed my bog was! :D Water levels were substantially lower August 4'th of this year than they were, both, on August 18'th of last year, the day of my first outing then, as well as September 2'nd, my final outing of last year!

I was hoping that I had dodged the bullet in regards to my neck, since I came home feeling fine. The following day, I did notice some increased clicking in my neck, but it didn't seem out of the ordinary. The second day, however, the clicking was louder, and more crunching, which made me a bit more concerned! The third day of "recovery", the clicking was even worse, with a couple of them being more like a cracking sound! And, during that day I began to noticed twinges of pain that would just happen and then be gone. Sometimes a certain movement would suddenly hurt, and then after that, making the same movement would be painless. It was kind of like having an "ice cream headache" sensation at the base of my skull in the back of my neck for a fraction of a second, and it was gone. On the fourth day of "recovery", my neck was feeling a bit more sensitive, feeling sore if I turned my head up a certain way, and just once in a while I would feel some pain when I moved my head a certain way, especially if I was moving my head forward while looking up. On the fifth day of "recovery", it started off feeling quite sensitive again, but by late afternoon, the sensitivity seemed to go down slightly. On the sixth day, my neck pain was almost gone, only a couple of brief moments of feeling something, but my neck was sometimes hardly clicking, other times clicking a lot. After that, things settled down to crunching/clicking/grinding, with most days with no pain at all. Hopefully, things will get better from here.

I am eyeing some time between Monday August 14'th, and Wednesday, August 16'th for my next bikeride, and hope that my neck feels better before then. I may also consider replacing one of the elastomers on my seat suspension with a softer one to see if that makes the ride smoother (or perhaps there is an adjustment I can also try). I will just have to wait and see, and hope the smoke, which finally cleared away, doesn't return for my next adventure!

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

Boggy Man

Re: BM's Boggy Adventure & BG Pix! Updated 9/8/'23!

Postby Boggy Man » Sat Sep 09, 2023 6:29 am

My August 16'th, 2023 Adventure, Part 1!

After my first adventure of the season, the weather cooled closer to seasonal norms, and the smoke eventually cleared away. I wanted to wait long enough for my neck to settle down, and for the weather to heat up again, and the during the second week following my first adventure, was the time! :D I chose Wednesday, August 16'th, since my dad had to get his truck serviced the day before, and had a dentist appointment the day after. The weather was supposed to be turning windier the day after as well, from an approaching cold front (was concerned about what that would do to the forest fires in Southern BC). I thought about going two days earlier, a clear, hot day, but I wanted to wait for the hot dry weather to help dry things up more, and thicken the mud more as well. But, while Monday was totally clear, Tuesday became smoky again :x , and Wednesday, August 16'th was so bad that there were hardly any shadows at all from the smoke! :x I couldn't reschedule, because the next available day would have been Friday, which would have been cooler, windy, and with risk of thunderstorms. So, I just kept my fingers crossed in hopes the smoke would thin out during the day, which was two days before my first adventure last year, which saw only one personal underbog sink before everything flooded!

Once again, I got up around 5 am, and wasted a bit of time searching for the package from my Thudbuster LT seat suspension, because I wanted to read the instructions, and see if I could make adjustments, or swap out different elastomers to create a smoother ride. But, I couldn't find anything, so I just hoped that the ride would be smoother, since 12 days had passed since I last rode on the graded road with all the loose gravel, so perhaps some of it would be cleared away by the vehicles driving over it during that time. :? I also gathered 4 pieces of plastic wrap into a plastic bag in case I was able to make a first-person sink, although I wouldn't know for certain what I was going to be doing that day until I saw how things unfolded. We left around 9 am, and I noticed that there was now loose gravel on the climb into the mountains, not just on the plateau, where it did look like the stones on the road were not as concentrated as before. I was disappointed that the smoke on the plateau was still quite heavy, but not quite as bad as in the valley. My dad dropped me off at the usual spot, I tested my bike to make certain it was working okay, loaded up the saddlebags, and he drove away.

This time, I headed straight to the sideroad, not seeing any cattle this time, which made me happy. :) I walked my bike over the two fallen trees on the trail, and laid it down in its usual spot behind coniferous trees north of the pond. I loaded things from my saddlebags into my usual plastic bag, and swapped memory cards in my camera. I then headed through one of the grassy worn animal (cattle) trails honeycombing in between the alders north of the pond, noticing that there were a number of fresh trails made through the grass, likely by cattle. I adjusted my course to the north side of the pond, to take a glance at the mud exposed there, noticing that it looked like there was a bit more exposed and looked thicker. :) I then headed straight to my area on the middle of the west side of the pond, happy to see that it looked like it was going to be thicker this time! :) I dropped my things off under the north side of some alders, the usual spot, west of the bog, took my camera out, and took a photo of my caged-in bog, the state it was in at the beginning of the day:

2023 08 16 2A Crescent.jpg

To Be Continued...

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

Boggy Man

Postby Boggy Man » Sat Sep 09, 2023 6:30 am

My August 16'th, 2023 Adventure, Part 2 (Click Here For The Beginning With More Pix)!

I returned my camera to my things, and then proceeded to remove most of the sticks around my bog, leaving just a few short ones in the meadow further south, away from the bog, laying my sticks further onshore, on the east side of some alders, and setting one nice one apart for mounting the camera/Gorillapod onto later. The smell of eggs from swamp gas occasionally permeated the air as I walked over top of the quaking floating meadow surrounding my treacherous muck! Once I finished removing all the sticks/poles I needed to, I grabbed the camera, and going counterclockwise, I snapped photos of the hungry mire, including one top view:

2023 08 16 2B Crescent.jpg

2023 08 16 2C Crescent.jpg

2023 08 16 2D Crescent.jpg

2023 08 16 2E Crescent.jpg

2023 08 16 2F Crescent.jpg

I was hoping that because of the hot weather, that it would be more comfortable sinking conditions much earlier in the day, but because of the smoke being so bad that the sun would only produce very faint shadows if at all, it still felt cooler than I had hoped :( , but still warming up. So, deciding not to get too chilled early in the day, I chose not to have a submergence sink first thing. Instead, I decided to have a personal sink to my chest, followed by mushing up the surface of the mud, to remove the stiffer surface skin in order to keep it soft and at maximum quaking action! :twisted: I got undressed, and was all ready to have my first sink of the day! :D

I first stood on the south side, facing north, looking at the patch of bare, muddy ground, thinking about how it looks so much like ordinary mud, but there is nothing ordinary about it! :shock: It basically acts like it is alive, a giant stomach (digests by bacterial action)! I then thought about the following things regarding the treacherous ground that laid before me:

It gulps! :shock:
It entraps! :shock:
It sucks! :shock:
It heaves! :shock:
It pulsates! :shock:
It quivers! :shock:
It swallows! :shock:
It encompasses! :shock:
It suffocates! :shock:
It kills! :shock:
It digests! :shock:
It burps! :shock:
It farts! :shock:
It waits for its next victim/meal! :twisted:

Then I imagined someone speaking about how this hiker (me) is going to become its next next victim! I then walk away southward briefly before walking back to the edge of the bog briefly for one more thought before turning away and walking southward and then finally turning around and walking northward again. I kept on walking, only to land in the middle of the patch of wet ground, getting immediately gulped down to my lower chest in the farting mire! :shock: I then struggled lightly, pressing my hands and arms down lightly on the skin of the quivering surface, so as not to break through it yet. I immediately thought about how this was a patch of mud that I had heard acted like a giant stomach, and I was now its latest meal! :shock: I struggled a bit, the hungry morass slowly sucking me down deeper, rising higher up my chest, my arms and hands still pushing down lightly on the heaving surface around me so as not to break through it just yet. Then, I finally pushed my hands down into the mire, it swallowing my arms straight down! I struggled a bit, the surface rising higher up my chest, unable to move in any direction, stuck in place and slowly sinking! :shock: I pulled my arms out, and then rested them back on the surface, and struggled some more, pressing down more and more with my arms and hands, the surface slowly giving way beneath them, sucking them back down into its soft doughy embrace, but this time not vertical! I struggled vigorously, imagining I was going to be sucked under, the ground around me pulsating and quaking and letting out the occasional swamp fart, the feel of it wrapped around most of my body holding me in place, all raising my stimulation to the exploding point! :D

After that, my body suddenly felt its temperature drop, but I was glad I wasn't wet above my armpits, which meant I wasn't too chilled. :) But, I couldn't feel enough solar heat on my body to fully warm me up either, thanks to the smoke! :x But, I wasn't really that cold, so I proceeded with my next step, to mush up the surface to get rid of the slightly stiffer skin. If I left it unmushed, then anything untouched would get stiffer and stiffer through the season, to the point of drying out on top if things stayed too dry. If it dried out on top, the dry parts would be a lot of work to soften again, unground chunks remaining stiff even if submerged, even into the following year! I learned that the hard way a number of years ago!

So, I first mushed up everything within reach in the middle of the mire where I was, the bog occasionally farting out swamp gas, and then I worked my way towards the west side, finding it harder to work my way through the doughy morass, because it was thicker than last time. With a bit of effort, I managed to get closer to the west side, mushed up more surface, and then worked myself closer, and mushed up more mud there, until I finally reached the west edge, getting all the surface mushed up there. Because it was too thick to walk through, I had to pull myself out onto the grass on the edge. So as not to drag the mud out with me, standing with my back to shore, I would push down on the grass behind me with my hands to raise my buttocks up above the mud, pull myself backward, and then sit down on the grass. I wiped the mud off my body back into the bog, with the thickest stuff plastered around my lower legs and especially my feet. I then moved to the next spot on the northwest side, where I plunged into the gulping, farting mire, and mushed up the surface of the doughy muck there, before lifting my buttocks up and sitting back on the grass there, wiping the mud off my body back into the bog to try and conserve as much of it as I could to keep the level of it from dropping over time relative to the water, and then smoothing out the surface. I repeated the process, going in a clockwise direction, continuing to smooth out the surface as I went. I noticed how some spots on the edge of the grass had a skunky odour to it, likely because of the larger concentration of vegetation there being digested/fermented by the swamp! I had to get out twice, once just past halfway, and once just before finishing, to have a nature break in the meadow by some alders. Because I was higher up in the mire when mushing it up, the mud higher up my chest from my first sink was drying up on me, which would tend to be more work to remove, but I was confident that I had the means to remove it more easily. 8-) With the surface all mushed up and smoothed out, the surface quivered very nicely like jelly! :D

I went back to the north side, and facing south, I jumped back in, sinking back to my chest in the farting mire! I struggled with my arms down and enjoyed the sensation, although I was feeling a little bit chilled. I imagined I was slowly being sucked into deadly quicksand, with the sucking, slimy ground rising higher and higher up my chest, eventually claiming the dry mud that was stuck to my upper chest. I continued to struggle, watching the undulating wet surface of the quicksand slowly rise higher and higher, occasionally blowing swamp farts! The surface was not consistent, with a narrow strip of wetter slime oriented in a N-S line in front of me. As I struggled, and the sucking morass continued to rise ever higher, I imagined that eventually, I would be completely sucked beneath the undulating, slimy surface! :shock: The soft feel of it entrapping me, the impending suffocation, seeing the wet, slimy surface quake around me and blow the occasional bog fart, raised my stimulation to the exploding point! :D

Now it was time to bring my first sinking session to a close! I worked myself up higher and pushed the mud off my skin, and then managed to work myself back to the north shore, where I once again raised my buttocks above the mud, and pulled myself backward onto the grass, pushing the doughy ooze off my skin and back into the bog, the thickest stuff once again plastered around my lower legs and feet. I smoothed the surface out again, and then headed to the water to clean up.

The water wasn't too cool, and I managed to clean myself off the usual way, rubbing it off with my hands on front (when I knelt on a yellow waterlily rhizome, I accidentally bent one knee too far, which cause brief knee pain), then laying down on the floating vegetation on the edge of the pond which had water flood over it under my weight, and rubbing my back like crazy to get the mud off (Nature's scrub brush - very efficient and effective), and then back into the pond to splash water over my back to wash away the loose sediment from the muddy water I laid down in. I would stand vertically in the soft mud under the water to clean off, or sit down/kneel on yellow waterlily rhizomes. Then I would head back to the floating vegetation which would flood under my weight to clean my lower body. Then I got out, and headed to dry ground, and air-dried.

To Be Continued...

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

Boggy Man

Postby Boggy Man » Sat Sep 09, 2023 6:30 am

My August 16'th, 2023 Adventure, Part 3 (Click Here For The Beginning With More Pix)!

I grabbed my camera from my things, and took some photos of the bog, all mushed up and smoothed out:

2023 08 16 2G Crescent.jpg

2023 08 16 2H Crescent.jpg

2023 08 16 2I Crescent.jpg

2023 08 16 2J Crescent.jpg

2023 08 16 2K Crescent.jpg

To Be Concluded...

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

Boggy Man

Postby Boggy Man » Sat Sep 09, 2023 6:31 am

My August 16'th, 2023 Adventure, Part 4, The Conclusion (Click Here For The Beginning With More Pix)!

Once I finished drying out, I got dressed, grabbed my drinks and camera in its case, and headed back to my bike. Still feeling on the cool side, I pulled out my plastic bag with a paper bag containing Pizza Pops (and a Sweet & Salty almond granola/nut bar for later), and then went for a walk back to the sideroad, and walked northward up it, to the ring bog pond, while eating the Pizza Pops. Where the stream left the ring bog pond, below the beaver dam on its south end, I noticed that there was mud exposed as well as algae, which looked interesting. :) I decided I would take a photo of it later. I continued onward, noticing that the thimble berries were starting to ripen, and I snacked on a couple as well, with the berries so delicate, that they could be easily crushed by pressing against them with my tongue. No chewing needed. I headed further past the ring bog pond, following where the road turned east, passing by the loop sidetrail that headed north. A little ways further east, down the road, I noticed another sidetrail heading off northeastward, and I decided to follow it for a bit. It went for a little ways before ending in a wider opening in the forest, with a single trail heading off into the woods past that. I followed that trail a little ways, passing the time, waiting for me to warm up, frustrated with the thick smoke filtering most of the sunshine, cutting down on the heat! :x When the trail seemed to cross over a low damper greener stretch (seasonal stream? ) and up the other side, I decided to turn around and head back. I was still feeling a little on the cool side, but not as bad. When I reached the south side of the ring bog pond, I set my things down and headed down to the boggy stream with my camera, and took some photos of the exposed mud and algae there:

2023 08 16 2L Boggy Stream North Of Crescent.jpg

2023 08 16 2M Boggy Stream North Of Crescent.jpg

2023 08 16 2N Boggy Stream North Of Crescent.jpg

2023 08 16 2O Boggy Stream North Of Crescent.jpg

It was tempting to investigate the mud further, but I wanted to get back to my main bog. So, I returned to the road and headed back, and then at one point, when I bent over for something (can't remember), I suddenly felt dizzy! :shock: I was concerned that perhaps I was overheating, since I had just noticed that the chills were completely gone! :? Or, perhaps, it was from breathing in all that smoke! :? Anyways, as I continued on back to bike, I started to feel a little bit better. I put my lunch bag away in my bike, and returned to my things beside my bog, feeling warm and ready for my next sinking session! :D

It was getting close to 3 pm, and I needed to decide on what I was going to do. :? First, I pulled out my breathing hose from its nearby hiding spot under a spruce tree, and also pulled out my makeshift headstrap to have all my options ready. I had my swim goggles, swim cap, and Gorillapod all out of their packages. Now, with the smoke obscuring the sun, I could try and set up the camera and new Gorillapod on my makeshift headstrap, with the camera and Gorillapod covered in plastic wrap, to shoot a first person sinking video, done right this time, without any sun to create shadows or cause color to fade, or I could just shoot another dramatic sinking scene, or I could have a personal underbog breathing hose sink, or I could have an on-camera breathing hose sink. :? Decisions, decisions, decisions.... :? Then, I started to think that the first person sink setup would take too long, and not be guaranteed to work. The new Gorillapod has a different design for the camera mount, where there is a 90˚ bend in one spot, which would take a bit of fiddling to get positioned properly, and it might extend a bit further, causing a bit more adjustments, before even making some tiny test videos to get things right (camera wasn't far enough to the side to properly face straight forward in my previous attempts, and I have learned from that mistake). :? Because of so many things to do to get it set up and then experimenting further, I felt that I could blow any other opportunities if it didn't work out. :? I also noticed that the sun seemed to be finally getting brighter all of a sudden as well, with shadows that were faint to nonexistent most of the day beginning to get stronger! So, I finally made the decision to have the on-camera breathing hose sink, hoping that the mud would be thick enough to have some really good farting bubbles! :D

I stripped and changed into my junk shorts, once again using an orange plastic string to secure it around my waist. I took my breathing hose (a black 6-foot shop vac hose) to the edge of the pond, and cleaned off the end I was going to put in my mouth, having to wipe it dry with my junk shorts. I blew through it, hoping nothing was living in it (don't want any spiders running into my mouth :o ). :? Then, I had to decide where I wanted to have my sink, since I wanted to choose a nice thick spot. :? The very center, where I had sunk before, had been softened quite a bit, but I remembered that some places off to the sides were thicker. So I decided on a spot just east of the center, where I seemed to remember it being thicker. The west side was another thick spot, but I felt it wasn't wide enough. :? I retrieved the pole I had selected for the camera, and then pushed it through the floating vegetation in the western portion of the south edge of the bog. I wanted to have it directly in front of the spot, but because of the shadow of the stick, I had to have it further to the west. I then took the camera, set it to 16:9 to make its regular view match the that of the video, screwed it onto the Gorillapod, and then wrapped the Gorillapod's tentacles around the stick. I started fiddling around, making adjustments to try and properly frame the location, but the smoothed-out mud's features were very hard to make out on the camera, and after a bit of fiddling around, I suddenly realized that the spot would be much easier to frame once the breathing hose was in place! :idea: So, I grabbed the breathing hose and sunk part of it in the mud to hide it from the camera, smoothing over the surface, with my mouth end sticking out where I wanted to sink, and the back end exiting the muck onto the grass on the south side. However, since the mat of grass had some water on it, I was concerned that water might get into the hose while I was breathing through it! :o So, I went back to my sticks, grabbed a bunch of short ones, and laid them on top of the grass in a raft formation for the end of the hose to lay on. Once that end of the hose was finally high and dry, I was able to get the camera properly set up, with the mouth end of the breathing hose in the lower center of the frame. I zoomed in a bit, for a rough estimate. I then returned to my things, put on my swim cap, inside out again to have the solid fluorescent green instead of the fluorescent green dot pattern shrinking into a white top, making certain that I had as much hair inside it as I could, and that it had completely covered my ears. I then put my sunglasses back on, returned to the camera, and made some final adjustments to get the area perfectly framed, and zoomed in a bit. I then pressed the record button, headed back to my things, removed my sunglasses, and put on my swim goggles, making certain that they were mounted properly. I headed over to the north side, and was finally ready to get sucked under the thick, doughy quagmire for an extended period of time, with a constant stream of farting bubbles at the surface! :D

I then made the fateful leap, landing right in front of the breathing hose, the bog farting as it gulped me down to my waist! :D I began to struggle, reaching all around me, pushing my hands and arms under again and again, mushing up the surface of the farting mire around me. Once the doughy surface rose high enough up to my face, I put the end of the hose into my mouth, and continued to sink myself down deeper, pulling the end of the hose under the sucking mire with my mouth and hand(s). I continued to struggle myself down deeper, the mire rising up over my swim goggles, with the light turning red and then black, as the voracious ooze continued to suck my head under! Because of neck issues, I had to keep my head facing forward, and not up, so I adjusted my posture to make myself face more forward. I was inhaling through the hose in my mouth, and exhaling through my nose, the escaping air farting around my head to the surface. As I kept on sinking deeper, I wondered if the top of my head was still exposed, so I reached up out of the mud and felt the top, finding there was only mud, meaning that my head was now completely swallowed by the hungry muck! :twisted: With my hands below the surface, there was no sign of me left, except for the farting bubbles! I continued to sink deeper, with my exhaled air first making more of a steady whooshing sound. But, as I got deeper, it was also making a phlup, phlup, phlup sound. It felt so wonderful to be totally encompassed by the thick, suffocating mire, while still being able to breathe! :mrgreen: Of course, it was a bit more exercise breathing, but I also noticed that shorter breaths had less exertion. I raised my hands above the mud, suddenly feeling a sense of comfort, and churned the surface, and then slowly retracted my hands back down into the mud, giving the appearance of sinking deeper. I also moved my arms and body beneath the surface, to make the bog move like it was alive! Getting used to breathing under the mud, I worked myself down even deeper and deeper, pulling the hose down with me, noticing that only my hands and a small part of my forearms could break the surface of the doughy, suffocating ooze! My head must have been several inches below the surface of the gulping mire! :shock: I struggled with my hands churning the mud, and then slowly retracted them back down, slowly vanishing into the slimy ooze! :twisted: I loved the sound of the bog passing gas up to the surface from my escaping breath, with slower shorter exhales being more "phlup, phlup, phlup", while longer, deeper exhales being more of a whispering "inflating balloon whoooooo" sound, completely different sounds from what you hear outside the bog! I was in a totally different world! :D If it wasn't for the breathing hose, I wouldn't have been able to survive being sucked down so deep under the suffocating mire for so long! :shock: I thought about sinking myself deeper yet, since there was no solid bottom I could feel, but decided I was deep enough. I just lingered there, inhaling through the hose and exhaling through my nose. But, some of the thick mire managed to ooze between the top of the hose and my upper lip, getting into my mouth, but I managed to keep it mostly in front of my upper teeth, but some got past it. After a while, I began to feel some phlegm building up in my throat that I had to constantly clear away, which was getting worse, and that mud that had gotten into my mouth was also a bit annoying. So, I finally decided to call it quits, and make the hungry bog regurgitate its meal! :twisted:

Bending each leg, I would work one foot up through the thick mire, and then the other foot, and then work myself straight, pushing the hose up with me as I went. It got progressively easier to breathe as I wormed my way up through the mud closer to the surface, with my exhaled air becoming a steady "whooooo" as I got even closer. Finally, my head broke the surface, with light starting to filter through my boggy goggles (boggles)! I wiped some mud from the top of my head, and rose higher. I removed the hose from my mouth, lifted it out of the mud and moved it aside, while I spat out the mud that had oozed into my mouth. I rested briefly, before working myself up higher and wiping the layer of doughy slime from my head, and then worked myself up higher, pulling the breathing hose out of the mud and tossing it to my left. I continued to wipe the mud off my body, and then worked myself up higher. I kept on wiping mud off my goggles, trying to get a clearer view. Once I was high enough, I then slowly struggled my way back to the north side, smoothing out the surface a little bit as I went, exiting and pushing the rest of the mud from my body back into the bog. As I was moving away from the bog, I heard some splashing coming from the pond, and wondered what it was. :? Then, when I headed to the pond, I discovered it was a duck! I washed off my hands, and headed to my camera to stop the recording. However, because my vision was so blurry, especially through the mud-smeared goggles, I couldn't tell if I had pressed the button hard enough to stop the recording. :? So, I pressed it a few more times, before turning the camera off, knowing that there would be a few extra tiny videos that I would have to delete afterwards.

With the camera off, I was now ready to get back into the mire, and have a more personal sink! :D I was glad that my swim goggles were still secured on my eyes, meaning that I could still do some more submersions, if I wanted to. Walking around to the south side, I jumped in, facing northward this time, roughly in the same place I had the breathing hose sink, and started to struggle vigorously, sinking deeper and deeper into the voracious quagmire, this time without any breathing hose to keep me from suffocating! With my struggling, I allowed the treacherously hungry muck to suck me down to the point where it was frequently rising up over my mouth, forcing me to constantly fight for breath! :o I wanted this to be a stimulating struggle, and had forgotten to remove my junk shorts, but I couldn't untie the string in the mud. So, I pulled the front of the shorts downward, slightly off the string, to expose things a bit underneath to the mire deeper down. ;) I struggled for a long time, the surface in front of me rising and falling, undulating, pulsating, like it was alive, as it tried to suffocate me, only for me to fight myself high enough to get another breath before it sucked over and into my mouth again! I briefly sunk down deep enough for the muck to suck over my goggles, before quickly fighting my way back up to breath again! :shock: Heart pounding, constantly gasping for breath and spitting out mud that was invading my mouth, struggling right on the edge (slightly higher, and I could breathe easily, and slightly deeper, I could suffocate), was exhilarating, exciting, a real workout! :mrgreen:

But, unfortunately, I couldn't get full stimulation due to the coolness of both my body and the bog. So, I worked myself out of the mire, once again lifting my buttocks above the mud before sitting back on the grass on the north side, wiping the mud off my body into the bog, and smoothing out the surface. Then, I finally untied the string from around my junk shorts, and removed my junk shorts. I stuffed the string inside a pocket in the mucky junk shorts so as not to lose it, and plopped it down in the grass a few feet north of the bog.

The sun was much stronger and hotter, which really made this sinking session much more enjoyable! :D I then headed to the west side where I then crawled over top of the thick, warm, solar-heated surface of the mire there, facing southward, and then began to struggle on my chest, the thick doughy mire wrapping itself around my bottom and sides like a warm, wet quilt! I pushed down with my arms, which got swallowed straight down by the voracious ooze! I could feel it sucking over my legs, my buttocks, and starting to swallow the sides of my back, while the undulating surface of the suffocating mire in front of me rose up to my head, sucking my face into it, trying to smother me in its embrace! :shock: I had to constantly "fight" to keep my mouth above the suffocating surface, before it got sucked under again, trying to swallow my face! :twisted: The struggling, the feel of it sucking my body into it, the warmth of the surface from the sun, the mire farting out swamp gas and trying to suffocate me, brought my stimulation to the exploding point! :D

Now, all finished for the day, I exited the mire on the west side, once again raising my rear above the mud before pulling myself backwards onto the grass. I wiped the mud off my body into the bog, and smoothed out the surface. I made certain it was all smooth, and then headed to the pond to clean up, this time heading a little further into the water. Standing in the soft, muddy bottom, I allowed myself to sink down deep enough into the bottom for the water to be up to my chest, where I swished away the sediment-filled water from my disturbance, to replace it with clear water. I took deep breaths and immersed my head under the water, cleaning away the gooey muck. Once I had enough cleaned, I removed my swim goggles, and cleaned them a bit more, before then exiting the pond, holding them up above the water, and then hanging them on an alder branch to dry. I returned to the pond, and cleaned my face better, and then removed the swim cap, and cleaned it better, and then exited the pond, holding it above the water, and hanging it on another alder branch. I then returned to the pond to finish cleaning up, making certain my head was clean, as well as my arms and front, and using "Nature's scrub-brush" to unstick the muddy film on my back, and then splashing water on it to rinse away all remaining loose sediment. As I worked my way down to my lower body, I noticed a black blob still on my right thigh. I tried washing it off, only to discover it was a leech! :shock: It was the first one to attach to me in over a year (or so)! I scraped it off with my fingernail, and tossed it away into the pond. Sure enough, some blood was oozing from where it had been attached, a spot which I had to refrain from rubbing or scratching, otherwise it would swell up and start to itch! :x I cleaned my string, junk shorts and breathing hose, having to use the junk shorts to clean the mud out of the grooves of the hose around the side I put into my mouth. I also rinsed water through the inside of the hose as well. I hung the string and junk shorts in some alders, and put the breathing hose away in its hiding spot. I had trouble keeping the swim cap on the alder branch, because it kept on falling off.

I unwrapped the Gorillapod's tentacles from the stick, and unscrewed the camera from it, and put them back with my things. I returned my camera back to its normal aspect ratio, and was going to take some photos of the bog, when I realized that the smoothed out surface looked no different from earlier, when I took photos. So, I proceeded to take all the sticks/poles, and put them back around the bog to cage it in again.

I got dressed, and took a quick look at parts of the video I took, noticing the awkward angle it was at due to me trying to avoid the stick's and camera's shadow. I also noticed that when I was reaching out and mushing up the mud around me, part of my arms and hands were out of the frame, meaning that I had zoomed in too much! I also noticed how different the farting bubbles sounded, compared to how they sounded under the surface. I swapped memory cards, and then proceeded to put my things together, when I realized I forgot to take one final photo of the caged-in bog. So, I swapped the memory cards again, and took one last photo of the bog with the sticks/poles (from dead alders) around it:

2023 08 16 2P Crescent.jpg

I then swapped memory cards again, and finished packing everything up, putting the Gorillapod, swim goggles, and swim cap back into their respective packages. I returned to my bike, and put everything away in the saddle bags. When I was walking my bike over the fallen trees, I stepped on the last one to push it down so I could move my bike over top of it more easily, but midway, it sprung back up into my bike, with a metallic clang! :shock: After getting my bike back onto the sideroad, I did a quick inspection to make certain it was okay, and it seemed all right. :?

I headed back down, noticing that the main road indeed seemed to be not as full of loose gravel as last time, and I snacked on the Sweet & Salty almond granola/nut bar on the way. Once again, I put the strap of the camera case over my shoulder, but it kept slipping off. Then, I realized the strap was doubled, so I pulled out one single part, which made it long enough to go on the opposite shoulder from the side with the camera, and the camera no longer slipped off, although I was getting a little sore between the bottom of the left side of my neck and the top of my shoulder. Because I felt more confident with my knees, I went slightly faster, but still cautious not to over-stress my knees. When I started the main downhill, I was disappointed that it too, was now full of loose gravel! :x Looks like they graded it as well, so there was no smooth going left until pavement! :x

Once I descended far enough into the valley, I was in cell range, and phoned home for my dad to meet me. Then, I continued to coast down the road with loose gravel, looking forward to getting to the pavement. But then, something didn't feel right! :shock: I wasn't slowing down as much as I should each time I put on the brakes! :shock: Then, it got really scary when I put my brakes on hard, and I started to go even faster! :shock: I had to quickly make a hard left turn across the road to come to a stop! I then tried going slowly, only to have to put my feet on the ground each time I couldn't stop with the brakes! It was a good thing it didn't happen up in the mountains! :shock: I then started to walk my bike down the hill, and a gentleman on his way up in a truck asked if I needed assistance, and I told him that I was okay, because my dad was going to pick me up. I then continued on, and tried coasting slowly, but had to use my feet to stop each time my brakes didn't want to work. I finally got off my bike, rummaged through a side pocket in my saddlebag, pulled out a (hex/Allen) (key/wrench), and made an adjustment to the fixed rear brake pad (perhaps it got out of adjustment from vibrations, or the the fallen tree springing up did something :? ) on the back wheel. After that, things worked again :cool: , although I never made any adjustments to the front one. Once again, I wasn't as far down the road in the valley bottom as I normally would be before my dad picked me up. The valley was still full of thick smoke, with an orange sun. That evening, when I watched the recording of the news, during the weather, they showed an animated visible satellite loop to show the smoke, and right around 3 pm, was when a hole in the smoke moved right across where I was in the mountains!

It was my best outing in two years! :D I was happy to see no sign of any cattle, although the grass looked like animals had trampled paths through the area, and there was one cow pie in the clearing north of the pond, which was not too fresh, since it had the bleached, dried, papery coating. I had some slight leg cramps, but they never got bad, and dissipated. I had my first leech bite in years. I was glad that I chose to have the breathing hose sink, on camera, and wished that I could have spent more time under there! After I had finished, knowing that I was able to breathe without difficulty when the top of my head was several inches below the surface, I then wished I could have went deeper, to see if I could reach the magic point where I would reach up and there would be nothing but soft mud above my fingertips, with nothing but more soft mud beneath my feet, without having any problems breathing, or at least see how close I could get to that point before I had to stop sinking myself deeper! :roll: Next time, it will be thicker, with more pressure on my chest at any given depth. :? I also wished I could have done some of that struggling for breath after I had surfaced from the breathing hose sink, since I believe it would have looked interesting and dramatic on video. But, at least I did spend a fair bit of time under the mire, and the mud seemed less chilly, and the sun coming out made a difference as well! :D If only the sun had been out since the beginning of the day! I had thought for certain that our heat wave would allow for more comfortable, chill-free conditions earlier in the day for a change, but the annoying smoke ruined all that! :x When I left the area, I noticed that I felt as if every breath I took filled my lungs with more oxygen than ever! :) It was as if breathing through the hose in my mouth and exhaling through my nose under the mud caused my respiratory system to feel stronger, more refreshed! :D

There were a few biting flies, but it wasn't too bad, but I would be occasionally bothered by the odd bald-faced hornet, which would buzz around me.

I can't remember exactly where we got to that day in Vernon, but it was in the mid 30's˚C (mid 90's˚F), with it hitting 37.7˚C (99.9˚F) the day before, and 38.1˚C (100.6˚F) the day after, when I noticed that the smoke seemed to be not as bad, and I could even see a cumulus cloud to the south of us through the haze! Then, I took a closer look at that cloud, and the billowing top extended downward on the west side of it down to the ground behind the hills, meaning it was a Pyro-cumulus cloud, a cloud that forms from forest fires! :shock: Sure enough, when I watched the news, it was from the McDougall Creek wildfire near West Kelowna, which was flaring up! :shock: Then, after that, the cold front moved through, kicking up gusty winds that caused wildfires to explode all over the place in southern BC! :shock: The McDougall Creek wildfire destroyed many homes/structures in West Kelowna, and the gusty winds blew embers across Okanagan Lake to start new fires in North Kelowna and Lake Country, causing the UBC campus to cancel all exams, and to evacuate (it was then being used as a staging area for over 500 firefighters). The Kelowna International airport closed down to free up airspace for firefighters, but as of Sunday Aug 20'th, they started opening for limited flights in the evenings, when all firefighting aircraft was grounded for the night. The fires around Adams Lake, which have been a major source of smoke in my area, surged southward 21 kilometers into parts of the western Shuswap, destroying homes/structures in some communities there! Thankfully, the weather behind the cold front cooled down, winds died down, relative humidity rose, and there has been scattered thunderstorms moving through. I hoped lightning wouldn't start more fires, although a new fire started way up in the mountains east of Armstrong, a community that is to the north of us, but never became a problem.

I was concerned about all the stress my neck was under from my head being engulfed by thick mud, but fortunately, things seem to have been stable, with some slight sensitivity on occasion, but still lots of clicking. However, my sides of my neck were sore for a day afterwards, before feeling better, the way it should be :) , not something that gets progressively worse over 5 days before starting to ease! :x

This time I never checked out the south end of the pond, to see how much more treacherous muck was exposed there, or took any photos of the other patches of exposed mud there, except for the stream leaving the ring bog pond, which was handy, since I was passing by it anyways. I wanted to focus on my main bog, and was happy with the experience! :D Looking at my camera recordings, there were 3 videos made that day - one 22m 51s, one 4s, and one 2s. So, I deleted the 4s and 2s ones, since they were just me pressing the record button multiple times to make certain the main video recording was stopped and saved. Upon viewing the main video on computer, even though it was zoomed in too closely to capture all of my arms and hands when they were extended out and churning the mire, it gave a really really great detailed closeup view of the heaving, pulsating, doughy mire that surrounded and swallowed me, and especially the farting bubbles of my escaping breath that the bog continuously belched out! :D

I am eagerly awaiting my next opportunity, which will probably be around Monday, August 28'th, which is when the weather peaks before another cold front hits the following day, but forecasts can change, so things are still up in the air, and I need to take a closer look at my bike to see if it needs further maintenance. :? My next adventure can't come soon enough, because after being sucked beneath the heaving, pulsating surface with only a breathing hose to keep me alive, with the sensations of the enveloping muck hugging my entire body, and the underbog sounds of the thick mire passing the gas from my escaping breath up to the surface to be farted out, I am experiencing bog withdrawal, and wish I could have repeated this EVERY day! :shock: I finally got a haircut, and so the swim cap will fit better! Can't wait! :mrgreen:

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

Return to “Photos”