My bog and quarry spot (better pics!)

Pictures that you took and want to share.
Raptor90

My bog and quarry spot (better pics!)

Postby Raptor90 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:34 pm

Both these spots are in proximity of each other by about 1/2 mile. The first spot, a bog hole is located along a power line system and is directly under one of the towers. Bottomless peat, various consistencies depending on how much rain had fallen recently.

The second is a silt/clay dump site of a quarry located just off the same power line system. Depending on when they dumped the silt, it can be an amazing spot. Mind you, gotta go at night. Today I walked in during daylight to snap the pictures and was gonna run down bank anyway to have a quick splash but before I did I decided to scout the horizon of the quarry with my binoculars and noticed a red pickup truck way out across the quarry where they tend to do work during active hours and a person standing by the door. Figured its a guard watching the work site, I decided I didn't want to be spotted sliding down the bank to the muddy spot so I stayed clear, but damn it would of been nice today.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

QuagmireGiggity

Re: My bog and quarry spot (better pics!)

Postby QuagmireGiggity » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:56 pm

Both spots are inviting, indeed! It's amazing how in that first spot, the ground that surrounds it looks so firm and deceiving. You could come across that bog pit and think of it as just worn-out ground, or just inch-deep mud, and step onto it, only to plop in over your head! An awesome feeling. I bet the second spot's sediment just grabs onto you like there's no tomorrow..

It's too bad you can't sink at either spot during the day, but that is the common drawback of quarries. Nighttime sinks are certain places can be calming, but there are advantages to sinking in daylight..as in having warmer weather during the peak sinking season that will really make you enjoy the cool mud.

Raptor90

Postby Raptor90 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:13 pm

Actually the bog spot is perfectly fine during day time =)

QuagmireGiggity

Postby QuagmireGiggity » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:50 pm

I must have misread your post. You did capture video from there before, obviously in daylight, so at least you have that as a daytime place! You should shoot some longer-length videos of you moving around in that pit, in between submersions.

Raptor90

Postby Raptor90 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:32 am

Trust me, I'd love to, but I have no way to support my camera.

muddy59

Postby muddy59 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:03 am

Yum, these are both very very inviting looking spots! I've never been in good deep peat like that, but it looks great. As far as the quarry goes, that also looks like perfectly creamy, deep silt. I'm actually able to go to my quarry on Sundays---the place is shut down, I've only once seem someone at the quarry on a Sunday, and it was just someone doing some maintenance to a vehicle on the site, so it's usually totally abandoned, I just have to look around for a bit before I strip down and dive in. ;) Is yours active even on Sundays?

Boggy Man

Postby Boggy Man » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:02 am

Raptor90 wrote:Trust me, I'd love to, but I have no way to support my camera.

The easiest way is to use a product like Gorillapod, which is a knobby tentacle-like tripod that can wrap its arms around anything, such as a stick pushed into the ground beside a bog. I use one all the time. 8-)

I sink, therefore I WAM!!!!

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

Raptor90

Postby Raptor90 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:53 pm

muddy59 wrote:Yum, these are both very very inviting looking spots! I've never been in good deep peat like that, but it looks great. As far as the quarry goes, that also looks like perfectly creamy, deep silt. I'm actually able to go to my quarry on Sundays---the place is shut down, I've only once seem someone at the quarry on a Sunday, and it was just someone doing some maintenance to a vehicle on the site, so it's usually totally abandoned, I just have to look around for a bit before I strip down and dive in. ;) Is yours active even on Sundays?

Machine equipment wise, nope nothing is going, but there is the odd time a vehicle would be back there. I've even seen a truck driving around there at times like 1am... Though they've never driven right up to that spot, I still don't want to take the chance of getting caught.

As for the tripod, I've thought of that but I'm kinda lazy haha.

Return to “Photos”