Emerald Veiwer = Banned

Images and Videos generated within Second Life
Kamisori Katana

Emerald Veiwer = Banned

Postby Kamisori Katana » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:47 pm

Got this in many of my group notices in SL today. :(

"As of 10am PT Wednesday, September 8, the Emerald Viewer will be blocked from logging in to Second Life as a result of violations of our Policy on Third Party Viewers. Residents who have been using any version of the Emerald Viewer will need to use a different Viewer to access Second Life. All versions of the Emerald Viewer will be blocked from logging in to Second Life. Please be aware that attempting to circumvent our blocking to access Second Life with a banned Viewer is a violation."

Tis a shame, I loved Emerald Viewer. :( Currently using Imprudence, another 3rd Party Second Life Viewer, not as good as Emerald but at least it gets the job done.

mudmaiden

Re: Emerald Veiwer = Banned

Postby mudmaiden » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:18 am

It appears you can replace it with the Pheonix Viewer.
Tarzan to Jill Hardy: Girl be still. Not sink!!"
From "Valley Of Mystery" : Don't struggle and do not thrash around; that just makes things worse!

Also: check me out at:
http://mudmaiden.deviantart.com/gallery/

Zoe Mal Doran

Postby Zoe Mal Doran » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:12 pm

Wait, what the heck was wrong with Emerald Viewer?
This certainly seems to be packed full of jam... and quicksand. Oh dear.

Mudbogz

Postby Mudbogz » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:24 pm

The story is that someone on the Emerald team was writing code into the viewer that attempted denial od service attacks against SL when you logged in. Linden Labs has long been jealous of the popularity of the Emerald Viewer. They sent the emerald team a list of demands of changes to be made to the viewer to make it compliant with Linden Labs requirements. Among these were the deletion of two files from the code that allowed the Emerald viewer to run faster and give better performance. Another demand by the LL people was that three people be removed from the Emerald development team. To me, this would be akin to say, the federal government calling Chevrolet and telling them to fire their best people or they would not allow them to sell cars. Oh wait... that's pretty much happened hasn't it... Maybe Linden labs is taking pages from the Obama administration... Needless to say, Emerald refused to cave, so LL axed their access to the SL grid.

Anyway, that's the story... Emerald is done. Gone.

Syke

Postby Syke » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:15 pm

Well,that's bullshit. Not much else I can say.

schlamm

Postby schlamm » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:07 am

Last edited by schlamm on Sun May 12, 2013 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Syke

Postby Syke » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:38 am

I change what I said earlier.That is REAL bullshit. The reason I was using Emerald Viewer was because it was the ONLY way I could play Second Life. The crap one Second Life gives doesn't work for me for some reason.

schlamm

Postby schlamm » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:48 am

Last edited by schlamm on Sun May 12, 2013 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zoe Mal Doran

Postby Zoe Mal Doran » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:53 am

Well, I was looking for an excuse to quit SL. The base viewer 1.23 was shit... actually it was when they when from 1.21 to 1.22 and fucked up the camera interface, thus making it harder to get decent shots on sinking sessions that I got annoyed with them.
Given the choice between viewer 2 and Emerald... well, someone that I more or less trusted said viewer 2 was full of viruses, hence using Emerald.
This certainly seems to be packed full of jam... and quicksand. Oh dear.

Return to “Second Life”