Mistress of the World

Share Your Media Finds! Includes scans and incidental on-topic images, as well as links to on-topic items at photo and video sharing sites. Material created by the community should be posted in the Member Submissions forums. Information Nuggets go to General Discussion.
Jim_Weathers
Producer

Mistress of the World

Postby Jim_Weathers » Wed May 22, 2024 9:42 pm

Thought this might interest folks. I stumbled upon a trailer for mistress of the World and it had a much better looking snippet of the quicksand scene, so I did a search and found a French version with better quality than what we’ve seen. It is still the WORST edit of a scene I have ever seen… EVER. It is like the editor was purposely intent on making a complete mess, with a zillion shots of snakes, and the guy fighting snakes, and more snakes, and an occasional shot of the cute blond sinking… but at least the quality was better. Do a search for “ Les mystères d'Angkor” and you’ll find the movie on ok.ru.

I guess what it does is only make you wonder what if they had a better editor. The coverage they lost on the cutting room floor… the mind boggles.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jinn

Re: Mistress of the World

Postby Jinn » Thu May 23, 2024 12:09 am

It’s too bad really because that bog always looked top notch. Shameful editing strikes again.

PA Jack

Postby PA Jack » Thu May 23, 2024 1:36 pm

I agree. This was a scene where I longed to see more of the quicksand sinking and less of the real and fake snakes. The bog and bog location were great - could have been as good as THJ.
Formerly jack c, years ago.

BogDog

Postby BogDog » Thu May 23, 2024 3:38 pm

I can only assume they were not happy with how the hollywood quicksand footage came out.

Regular scene: https://youtu.be/q2eHVwqgEec
"Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Jim_Weathers
Producer

Postby Jim_Weathers » Thu May 23, 2024 4:11 pm

BogDog wrote:I can only assume they were not happy with how the hollywood quicksand footage came out.

Regular scene: https://youtu.be/q2eHVwqgEec

I’m not sure why that would be. From what they used, it actually looks great. But who knows. I could have done a better job :lol:

They spent a bundle making that set.
Last edited by Jim_Weathers on Fri May 24, 2024 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Herzeleid

Postby Herzeleid » Thu May 23, 2024 5:14 pm

If Jim had made that scene you can bet it would have looked much better than that.
"Gott weiss ich will kein engel sein" ( God knows I don't want to be an angel )
_ Rammstein, "Engel"

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Thu May 23, 2024 6:55 pm

I recall viewing this scene with Dave when we first found it and we agreed it's likely a botched scene. I don't think it was choreographed all that well beginning with the cut from outdoors to inside a studio. They really messed up when he's got her holding his boot and the stick and the next cut is all is different.
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

Fred588
Producer

Postby Fred588 » Thu May 23, 2024 7:04 pm

Duncan Edwards wrote:I recall viewing this scene with Dave when we first found it and we agreed it's likely a botched scene. I don't think it was choreographed all that well beginning with the cut from outdoors to inside a studio. They really messed up when he's got her holding his boot and the stick and the next cut is all is different.

Maybe the editor was more into snakes than quicksand!
Studio 588 currently offers more than 2200 different HD and QD quicksand videos and has supported production of well over 2400 video scenes and other projects by 13 different producers. Info may be found at:
http://studio588qs.com
http://quicksandland.com
http://psychicworldjungleland.com

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Thu May 23, 2024 7:31 pm

Fred588 wrote:
Duncan Edwards wrote:I recall viewing this scene with Dave when we first found it and we agreed it's likely a botched scene. I don't think it was choreographed all that well beginning with the cut from outdoors to inside a studio. They really messed up when he's got her holding his boot and the stick and the next cut is all is different.

I think he probably had a lot of stock footage of matching snakes to cover the mess they made of this. Our hero didn't really distinguish himself as he allowed a dangling reptile that he was looking at to jump him from several feet away. Then in seconds it's all over him and rather than just toss the thing he has to spend vital seconds trying to stomp it. I bet you also caught the puff of dry peat she raised in the swamp? The guy was literally dragging her during the outdoor part but the minute he's rumbling with the snake she looks the other direction and runs away. Real Saturday morning stuff here.
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

Jim_Weathers
Producer

Postby Jim_Weathers » Fri May 24, 2024 4:49 am

Duncan Edwards wrote:
Fred588 wrote:

I think he probably had a lot of stock footage of matching snakes to cover the mess they made of this. Our hero didn't really distinguish himself as he allowed a dangling reptile that he was looking at to jump him from several feet away. Then in seconds it's all over him and rather than just toss the thing he has to spend vital seconds trying to stomp it. I bet you also caught the puff of dry peat she raised in the swamp? The guy was literally dragging her during the outdoor part but the minute he's rumbling with the snake she looks the other direction and runs away. Real Saturday morning stuff here.

Yep - the editor went "SNAKE CRAZY". Obviously there is a big leap when they go from the outside swamp shots to the studio set jungle shots - but is it really that much less jarring with the addition of incessant snake and crocodile shots... it is so badly edited, that if I had been in the room, I would have slapped the editor upside the head. Really some of the worst editing choices imaginable. The footage of her in the quicksand pit can't have been worse. Even with the bad direction on the day of the shoot. Certainly not Hitchcock. Or even Corman.

Return to “Nuggets”