Scuba Gear in Quicksand (Or just wetsuits)

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
MichaelL_Photo

Re: Scuba Gear in Quicksand (Or just wetsuits)

Postby MichaelL_Photo » Mon May 08, 2017 6:13 pm

I have shot models wearing wetsuits in quicksand - most recently just a month ago with Jenn (see "Other Producers").

Now, that was without scuba gear - and the two reasons I haven't shot a scene with scuba hear is:

1. Heavy for the model/actress to wear; it might help with a model sinking, but I want her to be able to get back out easily, and not be exhausted.

2. Cost, as I don't own my own gear and would never rent gear and worry about damaging the gear with the mud/sand. It's expensive enough to shoot a scene already - further costs make it unlikely.

That said, who knows - the opportunity may arise at some point to try this out; I'm particularly fond of trying new things (like sinking during the winter!).

Michael
Soft Dangers Visual Productions
Former owner of DIDVP
Soft Dangers Visual Productions
michaelleachphoto@gmail.com

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Thu May 11, 2017 3:45 pm

Not trying to promote anything. Just sayin'...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

bogbud

Postby bogbud » Thu May 11, 2017 5:20 pm

Oh that's you're talking about...

There are also some british variations, already heavily used in tidal quickmud:
8242685358_30cee13b5b.jpg

DSCF1338.JPG

DSCF6277.JPG

I think the last one is even a drysuit
I'm already chindeep in this mudbog and every desperate attempt to move my stuck legs only drives me deeper in. The thick mud slowly swamps my waders and my arms have nothing to hold onto.
I'm feeling home.

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Thu May 11, 2017 5:33 pm

We really need to hear from Nessie on this one since she's probably done more sinking in a wetsuit than anyone on earth. ;)
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

DrScaphandre

Postby DrScaphandre » Fri May 12, 2017 6:18 am

Hey even without gear I would love more wetsuit'd babes sinking.

But hey, at least fins and a snorkel mask would be fun too.

PM2K
Always Remembered

Postby PM2K » Fri May 12, 2017 5:16 pm

WEtsuits and catsuits work well with me too. :D

Nessie
Producer

Postby Nessie » Fri May 12, 2017 7:20 pm

Duncan Edwards wrote:We really need to hear from Nessie on this one since she's probably done more sinking in a wetsuit than anyone on earth. ;)

I never tried a wetsuit in an artificial pit but I did plenty wetsuit sinkings at my own locations. It is true that there is a bit more buoyancy but it wasn't serious. However, I had a lot of practice. I would classify my "Massivia" location as being roughly equal to an artificial claypit as far as thickness and consistency goes. I did submerge in a wetsuit there and although that mud is very heavy, it was fine.

I'm not sure what kind of wetsuits they were. They were just wetsuits I picked up on the cheap (thrift store, et cetera). The difference in what it helped me tolerate was about fifteen degrees Fahrenheit in additional coldness and that is exactly why I got them.

Scuba gear though...no. I do know that there are guys (experienced sinkers) who have used breathing tubes. However, it never came up, not with me personally and not with any model I used, because we all tend to shoot or sink in ways that we personally prefer and scuba gear wasn't really on that list for me.

Nessie

Fred588
Producer

Postby Fred588 » Fri May 12, 2017 7:54 pm

While I did a good deal of SCUBA in my younger years I have nothing to add about actual SCUBA. However, I can relate what I have seen, and done, with respect to breathing tubes.

First, there are two technical issues to be considered, pressure and dead air.

Pressure: A breathing tube or snorkel is an open passage between the lungs and the air above the mud. The deeper the lungs are located, the greater the pressure difference between the surface and their location. With a regular snorkel you can feel this difference as pressure on the chest but it is not hard to deal with. A home made snorkel, however, might mean dangerously increased pressure. I've seen it estimated that around three feet things become dangerous.

Dead Air: Dead air refers to the portion of the gas inside a breathing tube that is not flushed out with each breath. This should not be a problem with an ordinary snorkel but it can be. As a dive master serving as a safety diver many years ago I had to rescue a student diver TWICE on successive attempts (a week apart) when she became disoriented from hypoxia while breathing through a snorkel. Probably due to anxiety she was breathing in tiny little puffs. Dead air is more likely to become a problem with home made snorkels or tubes when they become longer so that the volume inside becomes a larger proportion of a normal breath.

Here at Studio 588 I have been involved on two occasions when breathing tubes were used.

On the first occasion I was the person using the snorkel. I was playing the part of a zombie's arm in a scene for another producer. To do the role I had to conceal myself below the surface, except for my arm, for the better part of a minute. I breathed through a diver's snorkel, with the tip of the snorkel held out of the camera's frame of view. While it was complicated there were no difficulties.

The second occasion was during filming of a scene by some graduate students from Columbia University. The film resulting was called "The 588 Project" and has been played at several modern art shows. Most of that film had from one to four people slowing submerging and re-emerging in clay with their heads and faces obscured by wearing wigs backwards. [I kid you not.] The characters breathed through plastic tubes that ran from each person's mouth, under the mud, and above the surface out of frame. The people doing this were cautioned about the risks from dead air and they were cautious. No one experienced any trouble.
Studio 588 currently offers more than 2200 different HD and QD quicksand videos and has supported production of well over 2400 video scenes and other projects by 13 different producers. Info may be found at:
http://studio588qs.com
http://quicksandland.com
http://psychicworldjungleland.com

gamwam

Postby gamwam » Fri May 12, 2017 11:02 pm

i almost always use a long hose to breathe through when i go deep,. i can confirm that dead air is a problem if the hose is long enough - your basically re breathing the air in the house and not drawing enough down to feed your lungs,.. i get round this by inhaling through the hose and exhaling through my nose which not only helps keep the mud out of my nose but also gives me constant fresh air - pressure is an issue and the limiting factor for me,. i can get my head a couple of feet under while standing (deep enough to barely break the surface with my fingers when i stretch up) but its hard work raising your chest to pull enough fresh air down and things have to be done slowly to minimise exertion - i have had my upper body much deeper both head first and by having someone sat on my shoulders but on those occasions the hose as useless and i just held my breath

messlvr

Postby messlvr » Sun May 14, 2017 4:45 pm

Hello All
I am an active diver that has tried some nasty stuff.If mud is liquid it will work in relatively shallow depths. I would like to see or be involved in a PSA type of video where a the dangers of Quicksand are explored.Plus sinking in a wetsuit or drysuit is enjoyable.If any one is interested I may be able to help with gear.

Return to “General Discussion”