Real quicksand experiences

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
bogbud

Re: Real quicksand experiences

Postby bogbud » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:23 pm

Kipcicles2 wrote:I might have put this one up before here on QSF, but it's one of the more terrifying ones. This happened quite a while ago but I seem to remember it so clearly - as if it is scarred into my memory :/

I was on a Saturday morning job when I slipped up on the wet ground and slid down a short dirty cliff (about 2 or 3 meters high) and down into a big mud pit! I went in straight up to about mid-thigh, but my simple movements from trying to turn myself around and adjust to my surroundings made me go down to my waist. I didn't know how to swim, which really didn't help!

I had sunk up to my neck in the pit (bearing in mind I still wasn't feeling the bottom), when I heard footsteps so I shouted out and waited for 3 guys, about 18 or 19 years old each, to peer over the edge of the cliff I had fallen down around an hour ago. One of them went home to get towels and blankets IF I made it out alive, one of them went to get some kinda tree branch to use to help me out, while the other just stayed with me. It was really, really cold...but that wasn't really the biggest thing on my mind. I thought I was actually gonna die! A few minutes later and I had disappeared completely. I counted in my head for how long I was under the surface - 48 seconds - before I felt movement from somewhere in the pit. Next thing I know, one of the guys is wrapping my arms around a big ol' tree branch to sort-of "tow" me out the mud!

Despite almost getting hypothermia, receiving treatment for foreign substances in my lungs, as well as a fair share of injections, I was relatively unharmed from that incident. I'm also real grateful tot he lads who rescued me - without their quick-thinking and simple good-will, I wouldn't be here to tell the tale!

You know that you have to tell every detail of this story now?
What type of pit was that? Sounds like a quarry / settling pond of some sort with liquid mud and being not able to swim was the bigger problem :?:
I'm already chindeep in this mudbog and every desperate attempt to move my stuck legs only drives me deeper in. The thick mud slowly swamps my waders and my arms have nothing to hold onto.
I'm feeling home.

Kipcicles2

Postby Kipcicles2 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:11 am

bogbud wrote:You know that you have to tell every detail of this story now?
What type of pit was that? Sounds like a quarry / settling pond of some sort with liquid mud and being not able to swim was the bigger problem :?:

Haha, if you want all the details, I'll be happy to tell. It was more of a peat bog, quite loose and watery at the surface (hence how I got so deep initially) but as I slipped further in, I could feel it turning into more of a thick slop at my feet. The reason I couldn't swim was purely because at the time I didn't know how to! Essentially, I broke the #1 most important rule of quicksand - "Don't struggle, you'll only sink deeper". Of course, at the time I was terrified so I couldn't help myself. It was my struggling movement that caused the thicker muck to loosen beneath my legs, giving way and essentially making the pit deeper...Digging my own grave one could say. There were also lots of decaying plant debris I could feel at the bottom, which is what stopped m from struggling beyond neck-deep, because I knew my legs thrashing around in all those loose roots could cause them to tangle around my legs and suck me deeper.

Anyways, it was a pretty harrowing experience, especially considering my age at the time. (Quick note: I would've specified the age figure but it's cutting a fine line with one of the rules here).
Just an uptuned nose at the surface (。◕‿◕。)

enerj29

Postby enerj29 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:47 pm

No real great experiences, I was hiking around in Oregon along the Columbia river, which has a bunch of sand banks. And at one point I felt the sand was a little bouncy, and in looking for mud, I tried to (safely) see how deep it would go. Fortunately/sadly (depending on your preference) the bouncy sand was only about 1-2 feet deep. But it was kind of half sand, half mud, so I still managed to get myself completely covered it, go figure ;)

bogbud

Postby bogbud » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:28 pm

Kipcicles2 wrote:
Haha, if you want all the details, I'll be happy to tell. It was more of a peat bog, quite loose and watery at the surface (hence how I got so deep initially) but as I slipped further in, I could feel it turning into more of a thick slop at my feet. The reason I couldn't swim was purely because at the time I didn't know how to! Essentially, I broke the #1 most important rule of quicksand - "Don't struggle, you'll only sink deeper". Of course, at the time I was terrified so I couldn't help myself. It was my struggling movement that caused the thicker muck to loosen beneath my legs, giving way and essentially making the pit deeper...Digging my own grave one could say. There were also lots of decaying plant debris I could feel at the bottom, which is what stopped m from struggling beyond neck-deep, because I knew my legs thrashing around in all those loose roots could cause them to tangle around my legs and suck me deeper.

Anyways, it was a pretty harrowing experience, especially considering my age at the time. (Quick note: I would've specified the age figure but it's cutting a fine line with one of the rules here).

Not doing the appropiate things and also not knowing how to swim is probably a bad combination when more or less "plunging" into a watery pit in the bog. I imagine your experience was not that different from my own one i did write down on page one. You may have a look ;)
I'm already chindeep in this mudbog and every desperate attempt to move my stuck legs only drives me deeper in. The thick mud slowly swamps my waders and my arms have nothing to hold onto.
I'm feeling home.

Kipcicles2

Postby Kipcicles2 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:26 am

bogbud wrote:Not doing the appropiate things and also not knowing how to swim is probably a bad combination when more or less "plunging" into a watery pit in the bog. I imagine your experience was not that different from my own one i did write down on page one. You may have a look ;)

I doubt it was the type of bog you had described in your own experience, as there was little to no vegetation on the surface and there was no surface tension when I initially landed in the stuff. Plus the location of the pit itself wasn't like your normal peaty-bog. It was quite isolated - essentially it was a big ditch down below the short cliff where the path was, filled with muck. It was about 8-12 meters in diameter, a massive chocolate brown patch in the ground, probably deeper than I am tall. I wish I had pictures to show you, but for reference, it looks like some of the peat pits they use over at Studio 588. It was quite thick and muddy, but it seemed to give way relatively easy. It stank pretty bad too but that wasn't really on my mind when the whole thing happened.

I have a friend who fell in a bog in Ireland several years back, she explained how before she fell in she could see the surface quaking with the grassy patches all around her. Before she knew it, she was neck-deep, fighting to keep herself from being dragged under by the tangly roots beneath. It was like the ground was partially solid, before simply collapsing into a liquid-like slop, more water than anything - almost exactly like how you said there 'was no mud'. She said she managed to escape on her own, which is good news.
Just an uptuned nose at the surface (。◕‿◕。)

Cardboard fury

Postby Cardboard fury » Fri May 22, 2020 5:24 am

I got a 3 for one
During a hike in a new area I wasn't familiar with was skirting around a lake and halfway around it started to rain heavily by the time I got to mouth of the river feeding into the lake.
I was starting to get tired but got across and packing along the grassy hill it turns into black thick oat meal, and I'm stuck thigh deep had to fight to get out and legs completely caked I tried to scrape off as much as I could and carry on and see that the shore is an easier route (plot twist:it wasn't) moving along saw a small puddle and didn't think to much of it since it was raining still and out of the blue I fall forward and down up to my chest in what I guess was a mud spring but fortunately I had one leg out of the mire and was able to wriggle out fairly quickly.
After bush whacking for 6 miles get to the other side of the lake and have the parking lot in sight so carry along the beach and just have to cross a small creek (you could step across) the sand starts turning into jello and I'm trying to break free and the sand continues draw me in to about my ribs,and that was the longest 10 minutes of struggle where I thought I was working my way to solid land but then for it to turn into quicksand and I'm out of energy.

Unplanned sinking is a pain in the ass

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Mon May 25, 2020 3:16 am

That's more than people will sink in a lifetime. Rough hike for you!

RedLikeRubies

Postby RedLikeRubies » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:35 am

Like a lot of you, I've had a fascination with quicksand and sinking for a long time! This story happened a few years back, and I was staying with a friend in their Cabin in Florida, we regularly go back there for vacations. I liked to go on hikes and short walks through the nearby trails and marsh. There is a nice secluded spot that is about 100~ish yards away from the trail with a pit of mud that ranges anywhere between my thighs to my breasts depending on the weather and season. The first time I found it, I was actually looking for an outlet for my fetish, and I stumbled across the pit. I was so excited that I could barely contain myself, I stripped down to my bare essentials before stepping in, and the feeling of suction as it crawled up my legs was almost orgasmic. I ended up only sinking to my waist that day, and it was quite the workout pulling myself free! Looking back on it with a few more years of sinking experience under my belt, I was totally reckless and didn't tell anyone where I was or bring any kind of rope, I'm really lucky I was able to get out on my own!. I used to regularly visit that pit, but its been about a year now and I still think about it everyday!
Want to come sink with me?

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:00 pm

Sounds like a fantastic experience!

curiousguy

Postby curiousguy » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:19 pm

beachbum wrote:I think this is a great topic as I love hearing about real quicksand experiences!

I had one while running here in NJ. I like running along the trails here and my area is close to rivers and bays leading into the ocean. There is a trail I run on that goes along a shallow stream, but one day as I was running the stream was dry as it was low tide. I decided foolishly that maybe I could run across it to the trail on the other side rather than going completely around the stream.

As I jumped to go across, my one leg instantly sank thigh deep into the mud leaving my other leg partially out of the mud. Then I tried to get out pushing my other leg down and that made it worse sinking into the mud. I was now thigh deep with both legs and quite stuck. The problem was I have these big cushion running shoes and could hear them sucking on the water underneath the surface. So I did the worse thing possible by pumping my legs up and down to try and get out and I sank up to my waist until I stopped realizing I was making things worse.

On one hand, I was enjoying the fact that I was in the mud, but quite concerned that no one was around and I was quite stuck. There was no one around as it was later in the evening. At least I knew what to do at this point and leaned back to try and get myself out. There was no way I could get my shoes off. The mud was very sticky and was so thick it was an inch or two at a time trying to get out. I was glad I was not deeper I would be in big trouble. My huge problem was my shoes. I would pull out just a little bit and feel my shoes pulling up but then the suction would sink me back to where I was. I was now getting really worried about it getting dark and the tide coming back. I jumped so I was too far away from hard ground to reach.

So i just decided to wiggle one leg at a time slowly back and forth and then after 15 exhausting minutes or so, I broke free with my shoe and it was not that hard to get out after that. I did the same with the other leg which took some time as well. I then ran back to my car with muddy legs and almost dark, and took a good shower when I got home.

What type of pit was it?

Return to “General Discussion”