Short QS Video on The Weather Network Website

Share Your Media Finds! Includes scans and incidental on-topic images, as well as links to on-topic items at photo and video sharing sites. Material created by the community should be posted in the Member Submissions forums. Information Nuggets go to General Discussion.
Boggy Man

Short QS Video on The Weather Network Website

Postby Boggy Man » Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:56 am

The Weather Network has recently added this short video with some footage, and captions about the reality of quicksand, to their website:

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/vi ... st_popular
I sink, therefore I WAM!!!!

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

Herzeleid

Re: Short QS Video on The Weather Network Website

Postby Herzeleid » Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:33 am

Another report saying you can't really sink like they do in the movies. I get that, but surely the point of our little community is that quicksand does what WE want it to do, not real life ? after all, it's our fantasy, surely ?
"Gott weiss ich will kein engel sein" ( God knows I don't want to be an angel )
_ Rammstein, "Engel"

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:13 pm

Most of the people who keep telling us how quicksand behaves have never actually encountered the stuff. I've had a couple of moments that would really surprise these "experts". :shock:
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

mdqsfan8

Postby mdqsfan8 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:50 pm

Duncan Edwards wrote:Most of the people who keep telling us how quicksand behaves have never actually encountered the stuff. I've had a couple of moments that would really surprise these "experts". :shock:

would you mind sharing about those moments? please, i do love a good QS story, either here or another thread...thx

RanThroughLust

Postby RanThroughLust » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:12 am

Herzeleid wrote:Another report saying you can't really sink like they do in the movies. I get that, but surely the point of our little community is that quicksand does what WE want it to do, not real life ? after all, it's our fantasy, surely ?

more than a fantasy, if you ask me. several times ive almost gone under in quicksand with no real way to escape

Raptor90

Postby Raptor90 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:44 am

RanThroughLust wrote:
Herzeleid wrote:Another report saying you can't really sink like they do in the movies. I get that, but surely the point of our little community is that quicksand does what WE want it to do, not real life ? after all, it's our fantasy, surely ?

more than a fantasy, if you ask me. several times ive almost gone under in quicksand with no real way to escape

I'd like to know how that was possible unless you're really trying

RanThroughLust

Postby RanThroughLust » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:30 am

Raptor90 wrote:
RanThroughLust wrote:

I'd like to know how that was possible unless you're really trying

idk. sometimes the mud is just a lot deeper than expected. i go in expecting to only go up to my thighs at most, get stuck, struggle, sink to my stomach. try to struggle even harder, go up to the chest completely stuck. luckily got saved by a passerby once

bogbud

Postby bogbud » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:54 am

The report is correct for the real thing (100% sand and water that presses the particles apart.

Still i know and experienced quite a number of both boggy and tidal places where the mud (not quicksand) eagerly can swallow a struggling victim and prevent it from plopping back up to the surface.
I'm already chindeep in this mudbog and every desperate attempt to move my stuck legs only drives me deeper in. The thick mud slowly swamps my waders and my arms have nothing to hold onto.
I'm feeling home.

Lintime Sinker

Postby Lintime Sinker » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:00 pm

bogbud wrote:

The report is correct for the real thing (100% sand and water that presses the particles apart.

Still i know and experienced quite a number of both boggy and tidal places where the mud (not quicksand) eagerly can swallow a struggling victim and prevent it from plopping back up to the surface.

Thick peatbog ?

bogbud

Postby bogbud » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:11 am

Lintime Sinker wrote:
Thick peatbog ?

Check my other posts. I've written quite a lot about my experiences already.
Also my signature is there for a reason.
I'm already chindeep in this mudbog and every desperate attempt to move my stuck legs only drives me deeper in. The thick mud slowly swamps my waders and my arms have nothing to hold onto.
I'm feeling home.

Return to “Nuggets”