SUV's Rouge or Tucson

No political or religious topics please. Otherwise, anything goes, as long as we treat each other with respect.
Duncan Edwards

Re: SUV's Rouge or Tucson

Postby Duncan Edwards » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:18 pm

Duncan Edwards wrote:
TK421 wrote:pfft, you pretty much said it with the model. The Ford Ranger direction is pretty much what it looks like. It is your stripped down truck meant for one sole purpose, to be used as a truck. :) ... Even on a wiring standpoint that truck is striaght forward even by today's standards (... only as well as you maintain her.

Exactly. It runs and it's easy to pay for. I love the review on the Ranger in Edmunds Vehicle Guide. They said that only two things will never go extinct - roaches and Rangers because they are both too simple to kill. I'm inclined to agree but Ford is ending the Ranger after this model year so we'll see how long this one lasts. Instead of a 2.5L four cylinder the new one I bought has a 4.0L V-6, automatic, and a few creature comforts. The engine is made in Germany and the transmission is made in France. Think of the jokes you can make out of that. Anyhow that's a substantial V-6 in a small truck so it will tow a useful load and has good power. Ford was giving big factory money on them so I got a good deal. Hopefully this one will last twelve or thirteen years as well. 8-)

Every now and then I'll do a search for something and the past comes back to life. FWIW - Both Rangers, the '98 and the 2010 are still running. The '98 has been living at Camp MPV w Dave since 2011 and the 2010 is approaching 240,000 miles without a break. I did a little work on the front end and got a tune-up but that's been it. Something happens to make me keep it every time I think about a new rig. Looks like I've got a couple more years to go with it and I doubt the '98 will ever die. :mrgreen:
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

Mynock

Postby Mynock » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:40 am

I treated myself to a lightly used 2017 Ford Escape this year. After 15 years, 184,000 miles it's time to put my loyal Jeep Wrangler out to pasture. :( I really wanted another one but the extravagant price tag that's been attached to them over the years is ridiculous. They command an insane premium used and new? Forget it. Even a base model with no AC and a soft top (yea no AC in this day and age lol) will run you 35k new.

The Escape is a useful little thing. Not too big, not too small, plenty of power. Can see why there's so many of them on the road. It's interesting to see how far the technology has come too. I went from a vehicle with hand crank windows to one with a backup camera and automatic headlights. It's like trading in a model T for a space shuttle lol.
"Know thyself, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."
--Sun Tzu

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:50 am

Mynock wrote:I treated myself to a lightly used 2017 Ford Escape this year. After 15 years, 184,000 miles it's time to put my loyal Jeep Wrangler out to pasture. :( I really wanted another one but the extravagant price tag that's been attached to them over the years is ridiculous. They command an insane premium used and new? Forget it. Even a base model with no AC and a soft top (yea no AC in this day and age lol) will run you 35k new.

The Escape is a useful little thing. Not too big, not too small, plenty of power. Can see why there's so many of them on the road. It's interesting to see how far the technology has come too. I went from a vehicle with hand crank windows to one with a backup camera and automatic headlights. It's like trading in a model T for a space shuttle lol.

I hear you. I paid $23K for my 2010 Ranger new and the idea of any new rig that cheap now is crazy. Got my daughter a used Escape and it was perfect until she totaled it. Replaced it with a nice well used Toyota Camry which was great until she totaled it too. Got another Toyota Camry but guess who's paying for this one? Enjoy the Escape. Yeah, it's a nice rig.

I'm actually giving thought to getting 300,000 miles out of the Ranger and then buying a Tesla Cyber truck in a couple of years. :mrgreen:

TK421

Postby TK421 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:29 am

Duncan Edwards wrote:
Duncan Edwards wrote:
TK421 wrote:pfft, you pretty much said it with the model. The Ford Ranger direction is pretty much what it looks like. It is your stripped down truck meant for one sole purpose, to be used as a truck. :) ... Even on a wiring standpoint that truck is striaght forward even by today's standards (... only as well as you maintain her.

Exactly. It runs and it's easy to pay for. I love the review on the Ranger in Edmunds Vehicle Guide. They said that only two things will never go extinct - roaches and Rangers because they are both too simple to kill. I'm inclined to agree but Ford is ending the Ranger after this model year so we'll see how long this one lasts. Instead of a 2.5L four cylinder the new one I bought has a 4.0L V-6, automatic, and a few creature comforts. The engine is made in Germany and the transmission is made in France. Think of the jokes you can make out of that. Anyhow that's a substantial V-6 in a small truck so it will tow a useful load and has good power. Ford was giving big factory money on them so I got a good deal. Hopefully this one will last twelve or thirteen years as well. 8-)

Every now and then I'll do a search for something and the past comes back to life. FWIW - Both Rangers, the '98 and the 2010 are still running. The '98 has been living at Camp MPV w Dave since 2011 and the 2010 is approaching 240,000 miles without a break. I did a little work on the front end and got a tune-up but that's been it. Something happens to make me keep it every time I think about a new rig. Looks like I've got a couple more years to go with it and I doubt the '98 will ever die. :mrgreen:

Funny story about that:

Me and a few buddies were out and about and was getting some more gym hardware at Dicks sporting goods when this beat to shit 98 Ranger pulls up beside us. My friends laughed and jabbed each other as we walked by and I looked at them and said, “Don’t laugh. I bet you dollars to donuts that thing has over 300k on the engine.”

“Bullshit!” They all said.

We went in and got what we needed and sure enough the old timer was behind us fiddling through his cash.

“Hey, sir! You mind if I ask you how many miles are on that Ranger of yours?”

He just grinned and said “She just clicked over 375 last week!”

I rest my case :lol:
“We have no food.
We have no jobs.
OUR PETS HEADS ARE FALLING OFF!”

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:05 am

TK421 wrote:Funny story about that:

Me and a few buddies were out and about and was getting some more gym hardware at Dicks sporting goods when this beat to shit 98 Ranger pulls up beside us. My friends laughed and jabbed each other as we walked by and I looked at them and said, “Don’t laugh. I bet you dollars to donuts that thing has over 300k on the engine.”

We went in and got what we needed and sure enough the old timer was behind us fiddling through his cash.

Love it. :mrgreen:

Since the '98 rests at Camp MPV full time w Dave it sees a lot less duty than it did with me for 12 years. The 2010 is getting close to passing it for miles so I'll probably get to 250,000 with it before the '98 does. The '98 may be at Camp MPV waiting for another generation.

TK421

Postby TK421 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:18 am

Duncan Edwards wrote:
TK421 wrote:Funny story about that:

The '98 may be at Camp MPV waiting for another generation.

And it will probably outlive them, too :lol:
“We have no food.
We have no jobs.

Fred588
Producer

Postby Fred588 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:18 pm

Some things are built well and some are not. That applies to parts as well I have a Ford Focus with 149000 miles on it. Two weeks ago I took it in for a brake job because they felt a bit spongy. The mechanic fixed the front pads, which did need replacement. After 149000 miles not surprising. He did not have time to do the rear brakes so I brought it back this week. When he opened them up he said they did not need replacement and in fact were only about 25 percent worn..... On the other hand I have had to replace the same tiny plastic part in BOTH front door latches.
Studio 588 currently offers more than 2200 different HD and QD quicksand videos and has supported production of well over 2400 video scenes and other projects by 13 different producers. Info may be found at:
http://studio588qs.com
http://quicksandland.com
http://psychicworldjungleland.com

TK421

Postby TK421 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:40 am

Fred588 wrote:Some things are built well and some are not. That applies to parts as well I have a Ford Focus with 149000 miles on it. Two weeks ago I took it in for a brake job because they felt a bit spongy. The mechanic fixed the front pads, which did need replacement. After 149000 miles not surprising. He did not have time to do the rear brakes so I brought it back this week. When he opened them up he said they did not need replacement and in fact were only about 25 percent worn..... On the other hand I have had to replace the same tiny plastic part in BOTH front door latches.

That’s an interesting pressure ratio between the front and rear brakes. I know many manufacturers are going with carbon ceramic pads due to their lifespan but wasn’t aware if Ford was tossing them in their cars save maybe the Mustang and Lincolns. To be fair, a Focus is a pretty lightweight vehicle and not sure how the roads and traffic conditions are there but they have to be miles better than the roads in Massachusetts. I wouldn’t rule that out as a factor either.
“We have no food.
We have no jobs.

Mynock

Postby Mynock » Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:58 am

Most of your actual stopping power, in any car/truck, is in the front brakes. The rears apply just enough braking force to keep the vehicle stable during braking, so they don’t get burned up as quick.
Rear brakes on cars from the 90’s also still used drums, not discs, which are much more durable.
If the vehicle was driven conservatively it’s not unusual to see the original factory drums and even pads on it well into the 200k range. My Wrangler was NOT driven conservatively, and even I only needed one set of pads and to have the drums re-machined once.
"Know thyself, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."
--Sun Tzu

Fred588
Producer

Postby Fred588 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:52 pm

TK421 wrote:
Fred588 wrote:Some things are built well and some are not. That applies to parts as well I have a Ford Focus with 149000 miles on it. Two weeks ago I took it in for a brake job because they felt a bit spongy. The mechanic fixed the front pads, which did need replacement. After 149000 miles not surprising. He did not have time to do the rear brakes so I brought it back this week. When he opened them up he said they did not need replacement and in fact were only about 25 percent worn..... On the other hand I have had to replace the same tiny plastic part in BOTH front door latches.

That’s an interesting pressure ratio between the front and rear brakes. I know many manufacturers are going with carbon ceramic pads due to their lifespan but wasn’t aware if Ford was tossing them in their cars save maybe the Mustang and Lincolns. To be fair, a Focus is a pretty lightweight vehicle and not sure how the roads and traffic conditions are there but they have to be miles better than the roads in Massachusetts. I wouldn’t rule that out as a factor either.

I lived in MA for 30 years, although that ended 40 years ago, but based on that and a few visits I would say upir roads are better on average. The road I live on is 3.4 miles of gravel.
Studio 588 currently offers more than 2200 different HD and QD quicksand videos and has supported production of well over 2400 video scenes and other projects by 13 different producers. Info may be found at:
http://studio588qs.com
http://quicksandland.com
http://psychicworldjungleland.com

Return to “Off Topic”